What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newtown Jets A Grade vs Kensington United

brendothejet

First Grade
Well my friends gather round and I'll tell you a tale. Yesterday the Newtown Jets A Reserve Grade took on Kensingotn United in a match previously scheduled for last week. It was the first hit out for the side conatining a number of players who have not played football ever, or in a considerable amount of time, as well as many young players stepping up from the 17s and 19s sides.

Kensington had only 12 players to field and due to a managerial error Newtown were missing player card and could only field 15 players. Those left to sit on the sidelines were most upset at this and the problem needs to be rectified now.

The game got under way and the sheer size of the Kensington players proved difficult to handle and scored early. Newtown moved the ball solidly down the field but some poor handling cost them close to the line. with Kensington leading 14- 0 just before half time Newtown pressed hard gaining repeat sets on the Kensington line through a neat BrendotheJet Grubber TM but the siren was to prove the winner as the teams headed for a squirt of the water bottle.

At the break the boys talked about the need to commit in defence and retain possesion. The words seemed to filter in as Newtown came out a different side and scored early through BrendotheJet. Camped on the Kensington tryline there were numbers set to the left and as the ball was played the defensive line rushed out creating a gap for BTJ to crash through carrying two defenders.

Brad Roach, having talked up his goal kicking abilities all preseason, stepped to the plate, 15m out, 10 to the left, to show us his stuff. Wow. What an exhibition. As far as goal kickers go you have the greats of the current game like Hodgson, Covell, Thurston, Fitzgibbon. Let me be the first to NOT add Roach to the list. With more spray than a summer full of sprinklers Roach hit the ball like a mistimed 4 Iron and the touchies struggled to wave their flags for the laughter. To make things worse Roach was to take the next 2 goals with hilarious results. Loud expletives could be heard after each kick as Roach knew that with every two points missed, months of ridicule would follow.

The Jets then went over for two more with their opponents bagging another 4 and the final score finished 30 - 12.

highlights of the game included:

* BrendotheJet breaking through for the first 4 pointer of the season
* BrendotheJet's chip and chase link up with Simon Hiristov for Newtown's third try.
* "Teen Eolf" Ricky using the People's SHoulder in a few tackles to devastating effect.
* The OldestDebuntante making his Debut after waiting since last yars last game. Some solid defence, a couple of strong carries saw the 55 year old play all but 5 minutes of the game.
*Kingy83 enjoying the benefits from the sideline of being the Number 1 Ticket Holder

In all seriousness hats off to the young blokes, and old bloke, who all stepped up to the big game. It looked at one point that there would be no 19s or A Grade side due to a lack of numbers. Everyone banded together in true Newtown fashion and the Reserve grade comp should be competitive and fun for the rest of the year.

Sunday sees our first full competition game of the season. More details will follow as too opponent, venue and time. Hope to see you all there.

Cheers,

BrendotheJet

As entertaining a report as I expected. :)

But let's clear up one small error, and to be honest, I'm stunned BTJ got it wrong (does he ever?)...... 55!!!!!!!! mmmmm.... 52 to be more precise, and can I say, I'm feeling every second of it today. But it's a great feeling of pain.

There can be nothing more satisfying as a parent than to share a football game with a son, especially as playing partners. I don't pretend to expect to see the season out, nor do I expect to set the rugby league world ablaze, but I will be there to do my bit for a team of good young blokes. Whilst there were some hot head moments early in yesterday's game, it did settle down to be a good game for the many "newbies" and a real sense of camaraderie started to develop, and a good season, win lose or draw, is assured.

Thanks to all the guys who made me feel welcome, supported me, and helped me to realise a dream that I will cherish forever.

Did someone say 18 weeks to go? oh dear God.... lolol...

Cheers

OD.

2 True Blues

Coach
Brad Roach, having talked up his goal kicking abilities all preseason, stepped to the plate, 15m out, 10 to the left, to show us his stuff. Wow. What an exhibition. As far as goal kickers go you have the greats of the current game like Hodgson, Covell, Thurston, Fitzgibbon. Let me be the first to NOT add Roach to the list. With more spray than a summer full of sprinklers Roach hit the ball like a mistimed 4 Iron and the touchies struggled to wave their flags for the laughter. To make things worse Roach was to take the next 2 goals with hilarious results. Loud expletives could be heard after each kick as Roach knew that with every two points missed, months of ridicule would follow.

No doubt this show of support from his fellow team mates shall instill a sense of strong confidence in him for the upcoming game mate. Sounds good. ;-):lol::cool:

2 True Blues

Coach
There can be nothing more satisfying as a parent than to share a football game with a son, especially as playing partners. I don't pretend to expect to see the season out, nor do I expect to set the rugby league world ablaze, but I will be there to do my bit for a team of good young blokes. Whilst there were some hot head moments early in yesterday's game, it did settle down to be a good game for the many "newbies" and a real sense of camaraderie started to develop, and a good season, win lose or draw, is assured.

Thanks to all the guys who made me feel welcome, supported me, and helped me to realise a dream that I will cherish forever.

Did someone say 18 weeks to go? oh dear God.... lolol...

Cheers

OD.

That's great mate, Awesome ;-):clap::clap::clap:

brendothejet

First Grade
Folks it looks like we play Kensington again this weekend in Round 1. 3pm Kensington Oval.

Come on down because I think we can make a real fist of it and win the first round.

brendothejet

First Grade
Folks make sure you come down on sunday to Kensio Oval at 3pm for an extra footy game this weekend. Then its back to the jets club for a beer.

2 True Blues

Coach
I would , if I could.

Will have to wait for the match report though mate.

Will expect nothing more than two Brendo PAEA charge overs though this game since you have previously located their defence weakness's mate. LOL....

And tell ROACHY to pull his finger out. ( No pressure though ) .

Kingy83

Juniors
I have it on good authority that one Bradley "Cocka" Roach played in the 5/8 position in last sundays game.

One could only assume with that being that case, that the team is going backwards.

2 True Blues

Coach
I have it on good authority that one Bradley "Cocka" Roach played in the 5/8 position in last sundays game.

One could only assume with that being that case, that the team is going backwards.

I thought you were their No 1 fan Kingy.;-) Not following em closely this season mate ??

Kingy83

Juniors
I watched the first few games and was disappointed at the lack of teamwork and Newtown spirit. So i handed in my number 1 ticket and now spend my sunday afternoons doing things that dont have me wanting to scratch my eyes out.

brendothejet

First Grade
well if you call BTJ maintaining a 100 percent goal kicking record worse....

:)

yeah we suck, but it is good fun!