What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newtown RLFC Centenary Dinner

Jeffles

Bench
Newtown Rugby League Football Club
Official Centenary Dinner
Including the Team of the Century Announcement

100 years, thousands of matches and millions of memories …

The Newtown RLFC is holding a special event to celebrate our centenary.

We invite all Bluebags and Jets, be they players, officials or supporters to bring their wives, girlfriends or partners and join us on Saturday, July 5th at the Petersham Town Hall.

We have a wonderful evening of entertainment planned that will pay tribute to all those who have helped shape the Newtown story of the past one hundred years.

Highlights of the night will be the announcement of the Newtown RLFC Team of the Century and a special performance by one of Australia’s finest artists Tim Freedman, lead singer of The Whitlams.

The players, the games, the friendship, the enduring never-say-die spirit – all will be honoured at what will be a very memorable gathering.

Date: Saturday, 5th July, 2008

Time: 7.00pm for 7.30pm

Venue: Petersham Town Hall (Crystal Street, Petersham)

Dress: Formal / Lounge Suit

Tickets: $165.00 per ticket (inc. GST)

RSVP: Friday, 20th June 2008

Get your table organised now to guarantee your place for this once in a lifetime event! For catering purposes tickets must be purchased in advance.

For more information contact the Newtown RLFC Director-Operations, Stuart McCarthy
Ph: 1300 36 36 90 or 0447 046 516
Address: PO Box 561 Alexandria NSW 2015
Email: smccarthy@newtownjets.com

Jeffles

Bench
The dinner will be held on the second weekend of the Round 13 Split Round. In the first weekend, we are set to play Canterbury away. We've only got pone home game between now and the dinner and that's the Norths fixture on 14 June.

This is THE marquee event for Newtown's Centenary year and we want to make it a big one. I've heard people are coming from overseas and interstate to be at this one. All Jets supporters should make themselves available for this.

Tim's playing at the dinner, eh?

I didn't get a chance to take him to our satellite club on his visit over here - just dinner and drinks at the local chew'n'spew (they ALL are in SH).

Would have loved him to cop a geek at The New Town Club:

All the best for the dinner, boys. Wish I could be there.

Go the Jets!

Attachments

• NclubSH_small.jpg
    NclubSH_small.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 53

Jeffles

Bench
I get the giggles everytime you post that photo.

There's 6 and a half weeks until the dinner but more importantly, RSVP by 20 June. That's 30 days away.

Jeffles

Bench
Hands down the best Newtown dinner I have been to. Petersham Town Hall was packed. 350 guests. I struggle to see where you'd fit more. The Town Hall looked a picture. Newtown RLFC photographer took some photos and they should be up soon.

Instead of a team of 13, a Squad of the 18 was announced including an extra fullback, centre, five-eighth, second rower and prop.

Fullbacks: Gordon Clifford and Phil Sigsworth
Wingers: Charles "Boxer" Russell and Lionel Williamson
Centres: Richard "Dick" Poole, Brian "Chicka" Moore and Len Smith
Five Eighths: Bill Farnsworth and Tony Brown
Halfback: Keith Froome
Lock Forward: Noel Mulligan
Second Rowers: Herb Narvo, Felix Ryan and Graham Wilson
Prop Forwards: Frank "Bumper" Farrell, Paddy McCue and Paul Quinn
Hooker: Arthur Folwell

Coach: Warren Ryan

Two extra honours were announced.

Newtown Junior of the Century: John Raper
Newtown "Import" of the Century: Tom Raudonikis

In addition, the Newtown RLFC Hall of Fame was launched. All mentioned above are automatic inductees. The 2009 nominee was announced as Colin Murphy.

There was a problem with the powerpoint presentation during the announcement of the Squad but everything else went bloody well. Good food, lots of beer, great music. Lionel Williamson choked back tears while speaking just after his name was announced. It was a very moving speech. Colin Murphy did his usual expletive-laden best.

That's it for now. More to come later.

naming the squad of the century instead of the team of the century is a bit soft imo, trying to keep everyone happy methinks. Good to hear the night went well, there were 2 articles in the SMH mentioning the Jets yesterday!

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
naming the squad of the century instead of the team of the century is a bit soft imo, trying to keep everyone happy methinks. Good to hear the night went well, there were 2 articles in the SMH mentioning the Jets yesterday!

well,well,well, I am not one to gloat but I do recall in my return post "I'm Back" that due to the lack of decision makers within the club, Newtown would name more than a team, that is piss poor IMO also p/t

Jeffles, the night was good, I do agree, the speeches and awards went on way too long and it wouldn't be a Newtown function without a hick-up or two, credit though were credit is due, for the majority of the night a good time was had

Jeffles

Bench
One thing I forgot to mention. The first copy of "Through Blue Eyes: A Pictoral History of Newtown RLFC" by Terry Williams was at the dinner last night. I had a quick look. Great concept. The book will be out in a few weeks.

Jeffles

Bench
Club photographer Gary Sutherland had uploaded his photos of the night. They are here.

http://www.pbase.com/gsphotography/newtown_100th_dinner_&page=all

Below - the outside of the Petersham Town Hall with some excellent banners
99744128.zasxDG9x.ndimages_GSP7756.jpg

Below - Inside the hall looking towards the stage.
99744133.xCK6fPsr.ndimages_GSP7763.jpg

Below - banners hung inside along the walls.
99744139.CVO9Iwtn.ndimages_GSP7773.jpg

99744135.BuS6wYtY.ndimages_GSP7767.jpg

Below - Artist Donna Gibb with her painting of the Squad at Henson Park. She added the finishing touches on the night after people autographed the painting. She was a lovely lady to speak to.
99744107.kFhtXZLQ.ndimagesGSP_9583.jpg

Jeffles

Bench
More photos.

Below - Mingling in the foyer of Petersham Town Hall before the event started.
99743821.Nx7neM2q.ndimagesGSP_9314.jpg

Below - Current players and staff presented awards to the winners and/or their descendants. They are her on stage with Newtown RLFC Director Terry Rowney addressing the crowd. Paddy McCue's great-grandson accepted his award. Maureen Elsegood accepted on behalf of her father, Frank "Bumper" Farrell. Both lovely people.
99744083.BQSwA3gx.ndimagesGSP_9553.jpg

For the rest of the photos click on the link at the beginning of my previous post. Enjoy!

Jeffles

Bench
Yeah Stu did a great job. I knew things were going to go well when I got there at 6:30pm and there were no "finishing touches" to put on the joint - everything was done. BB43, good speech on Saturday. I saw John Bradstock when you mentioned his name. Modest man.

It was really really good to see Lionel Williamson's reaction to receiving his award. He was such a humble man. That was probably my personal highlight of the night. Living in Qld, it's a shame he can't come down to Sydney much but geez he'd be a good person to have at future events. Some past players from Newtown I've seen at other functions are among the most arrogant people I've ever come across. Not Lionel.

He's a tall bloke too, even now. Would've terrorised some of his opposing wingers. He was received very well by the crowd too, as was Dick Poole, Bumper Farrell and Chicka Moore - they were probably the four loudest cheers when the names were announced.

bluebag43

Juniors
Thanks for your positive feedback regarding my speech. It was certainly from the heart as both John Bradstock and Neil Pringle were from the Addison Royals and knew my Dad well. My Dad had coached a premiership winning side with both Bradstocks - John and Kevin in it.

As an 11 yr old back then, they were my absolute heroes!

AND I will never forget being in the sheds with them before and at halftime in the midweek semi final replay against St George!