What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newy restaurant suggestions?

astrogirl

First Grade
I'm looking to take my Mum out for Mother's Day, and she wants to try somewhere new.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to go? Any cuisine except Chinese would be good. Mains around $20 to $25ish.

Any help would be great :D

macavity

Referee
mons thai on Darby St is good

or too close to chinese?

Lime is really nice but is pricey.

or for something completely different - Hughezies Brasserie at Toronto is really REALLY good - water views, awesome menu. mains around 20-30 depending on what you want.

astrogirl

First Grade
Thanks mac, I'll have a look

I had a scout around on the net earlier - has anyone been to Rocksalt or Darby's Bar & Grill?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Lime is really nice but is pricey.

My friend worked there while I was in Newie (still could, for all I know) and I can also recommend it. That Mexican place we went for Tim or Emma's birthday was nice too. There's a good Italian spot not so far away either. The Junction's not a bad place.

Alex28

Coach
Longbench on Darby is really nice - not too expensive. If you want really flash - Restaurant II was pretty outstanding - mains at $35 or so...

macavity

Referee
Arrivederci is the italian place bushy is talking about

awesome veal schnitzel there, good prices, and traditional italian service. the pasta is awesome too. its only open for dinner, but good value and great atmosphere - mumma there making pasta, the smell of fresh pizza.... mmm im hungry.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Arrivederci is great but always packed.

Resturant 123 in King Street isn't too bad and not too dear. Joanne's work took the whole office and paid so it can't be that expensive.

garden fairy

Juniors
Mucho's Mexican is the name of the mexican restaurant we went to for Tim's birthday Bushy...I don't think it would be particularly appropriate for mothers day.

The Bogey Hole Cafe has great homestyle food at reasonable prices, and they fill your plate up, so you leave absolutely rolling down the street...it's one of my favourites.

Blue Water Pizza is also nice. Very casual, but fabulous pizza, and nice spot on the harbour. That, or try The Brewery.

astrogirl

First Grade
Gotta love a water view, and definitely no shortage with the beach and the lake :D

I'll have another look at Restaurant II, Lime and other suggestions -- thanks guys. I think a fair few places have popped up over the last few years. I usually take Mum to Scratchley's for her birthday, but I guess I haven't taken her out in Newy for Mother's Day for a while and I wanna go somewhere different :)

axie

Juniors
L'incontro on Darby is always good, may be on the expensive side though. I'm a big fan of Nagisa down on Honeysuckle, its Japanese. Silo is also down that way, but lately its been a little hit and miss ...

astrogirl

First Grade
Oh I was trying to remember the name of the Japanese place there -- is that the one near engine room axie?

Frederick

Staff member
Yeh, we love going down to Honeysuckle for meals cause it's on the waterfront, and it's more or less just down the road from us :p

So far I've been to Mangrove Jacks, Rocksalt, Silo, Twist, and Larnna Thai, and haven't had a bad meal yet :D

Frederick

Staff member
Yeh Rocksalt's pretty good - been there a couple of times. It's right on the marina, so you get a good view of all the boats and yachts and can shake your fist at those lucky people that can afford them :fist: :p

Pika

Bench
Rest II as suggested. Only hatted place in Newcastle, and certainly our best. Though it might be a little expensive, they will probably have a Mothers Day special.

Bistro Tartine in Hamilton for something a little more intimate. One of Newastles best kept secrets (probably not these days).

For cafe style, Supply in town. Serving Campos coffee, and depending who is on the machine, the best coffee in town. Great food as well.

astrogirl

First Grade
Aaaaaaaah had decided on rocksalt -- called them, and they are doing renovations and so are not open for dinner!! Back to the drawing board

B-dos

Referee
Don Beppinos is tiny. Great for takeaway but not so good for dining in.

Restaurant II is easily the best place in newcastle, its a bit expensive but worth it.

Theres plenty of places in the honeysuckle precinct (Engine Room, Silo, Brewery Restaurant, Twist) and most sell typical modern australian food.

The Junction has a few nice places, Lime has been mentioned, but theres also Lotus and Fuel. again, these sell modern australian.

Rosina's is a great little italian restaurant in the City. one of those hidden gems i really recommend. Il Volcano is another great italian place ive heard about but not gone there.

Theres so many more but to be honest, treat yourself and go to Restaurant II.