What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Wb1234

Referee

Cmon foxtel pay what it’s worth it’s going to be ratings dynamite for you

well promoted these games should be getting foxsports 1 million viewers

The Canberra Cannons, Brisbane Bullets,Sydney Kings and Townsville Crocs went bust to. Surely no-one is suggesting those regions have NRL clubs that are not sustainable?

Basketball in Australia has been in a boom and bust cycle since the 80s, you can't use it as an analogy for an NRL club and it's sustainability.

The Knights financial woes were an example of bad management, bad luck and the GFC.
I was responding to another member's post about the the loss of the Hunter Pirates. That's two NBL teams and an NRL team that has experienced financial woes in Newcastle. Doesn't mean the city cannot sustain a team in either competition from this point going forward, but in the past there have been problems on several occasions. I'm not going to get into a discussion on how and why those problems eventuated.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
They won't unless they're forced to. To do that we have to go to market and not just sign the first offer fox put in.
They went to open market for RLWC but there was no takers other than fox. Bet fta is kicking itself after seeing the figures! id like to say these sorts of excellent numbers woukd wake tv up to the value of IRL but alas all the while the nrl and dicks like Gould talk it down I dont suppose they will

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
As I was posting the article the other day about the Storm taking a pre-season game against the Roosters to Geelong (whereever that is, somewhere in Victoria I believe) it dawned on me what a difference having something riding on this game for the clubs makes, especially for me as a viewer, as opposed to it being just another pre-season warm-up match.
I`m thinking the T.V broadcast value of this pre-season comp might be worth more than I initially thought.

Canard

Immortal
As I was posting the article the other day about the Storm taking a pre-season game against the Roosters to Geelong (whereever that is, somewhere in Victoria I believe) it dawned on me what a difference having something riding on this game for the clubs makes, especially for me as a viewer, as opposed to it being just another pre-season warm-up match.
I`m thinking the T.V broadcast value of this pre-season comp might be worth more than I initially thought.

It doesn't appear as though anything is going to be "riding on it though" other then to change the word trials to pre- season challenge.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
It doesn't appear as though anything is going to be "riding on it though" other then to change the word trials to pre- season challenge.
I read that a super rugby point system might be used where points are awarded for tries scored, least points conceded, etc. etc. to determine who claims the winners title and gets the prize money-assuming there will be some at some stage.

Wb1234

Referee
Does
I read that a super rugby point system might be used where points are awarded for tries scored, least points conceded, etc. etc. to determine who claims the winners title and gets the prize money-assuming there will be some at some stage.
Does union do that ?

points scored by goals would equal the time the ball is in play

Canard

Immortal
Think they play for something

they mentioned points

If its something as inconsequential as this, then I am all for it.

It's enough to generate some minor interest, but not enough for the clubs to care.

Iamback

Coach
If its something as inconsequential as this, then I am all for it.

It's enough to generate some minor interest, but not enough for the clubs to care.

The current management is all for revenue, I think if they generate interest for sponsors to get on board. Without adding burden to clubs than the outcome is good

ed612313

Juniors
Didnt jets also get into financial strife in 2009 and have to be bailed out? So out of two professional clubs (I suppose we could chuck in the mariners for fun) two went bust and had to be bailed out. Oh and lets not forget basketball and the demise of the Hunter Pirates. So 3/3 Newcastle professional clubs financially going kaput. Hmmm.
The Jets are irrelevant up here also. Its is a one sport town.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
It’s all about getting fox to give us 5 million pa extra for the trial game we play already.

money for jam
100 %. It`s ratings were already very solid and Fox were stoked at the response to their telecast, it`s madness that we aren`t monetising it. I think some of the previous posters are underestimating the interest a points system to determine a winner will generate.

If Australia bid for the 2030 FIFA Men's World Cup and were successful there maybe some new grounds for and serious upgrades to others that would be used for training purposes.

New Zealand could be a co-host as they are for the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2023.

48 countries will be competing from 2026 onwards - 8 groups of 6 teams

Stadiums must have a capacity of at least 40,000, stadiums hosting quarter-finals must have a minimum of 60,000 and those hosting the opening ceremony or final must have a capacity of at least 80,000.

Grounds with 40k and above capacity in both Australia and New Zealand

Adelaide oval - 53,000
Suncorp - 52,500
SCG- 48,000
Allianz- 45,500
Gabba - 42,000
Marvel - 53,359
Homebush - 83,500
MCG- 100,024
Perth Stadium - 60,000
Waverley Park- 72,000
Eden Park (NZ) - 50,000

Wb1234

Referee
100 %. It`s ratings were already very solid and Fox were stoked at the response to their telecast, it`s madness that we aren`t monetising it. I think some of the previous posters are underestimating the interest a points system to determine a winner will generate.
The thing about vlandys is simple things like this which bring in money which other leaders never thought of

he’s all about what money he can bring in

and he did a great job on costs too

it seems much of that spending was wasted

Wb1234

Referee
If Australia bid for the 2030 FIFA Men's World Cup and were successful there maybe some new grounds for and serious upgrades to others that would be used for training purposes.

New Zealand could be a co-host as they are for the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2023.

Stadiums must have a capacity of at least 40,000, stadiums hosting quarter-finals must have a minimum of 60,000 and those hosting the opening ceremony or final must have a capacity of at least 80,000.

Adelaide oval - 53,000
Suncorp - 52,500
SCG- 48,000
Allianz- 45,500
Gabba - 42,000
Marvel - 53,359
Homebush - 83,500
MCG- 100,024
Perth Stadium - 60,000
Waverley Park- 72,000
Eden Park (NZ) - 50,000
After the debacle last time where we got one vote and wasted tens of millions I doubt it

games would have to be on during the day to get exposure in Europe or America

JD-Roo

Juniors

Adelaide oval - 53,000
Suncorp - 52,500
SCG- 48,000
Allianz- 45,500
Gabba - 42,000
Marvel - 53,359
Homebush - 83,500
MCG- 100,024
Perth Stadium - 60,000
Waverley Park- 72,000
Eden Park (NZ) - 50,000
Waverley hasn't been in use since 1999/2000. Most of the grandstands have been removed and it's now surrounded by housing. The remaining grandstand seats about 200. So strike that off the list.
Link: Waverley Park

There is the beginnings of the push to rebuild the Shane Warne / Great Southern Stand at the MCG to push the capacity up over 105,000.

Latest posts