What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Playoffs

Eelectrica

Referee
I've just finished watching the games. Grats to Patriots and Rams on making it.

Two incredible games. Chiefs so close and so far. That offside at the end...
Kind of occurred to me at the end of the game that at the end of regulation the Chiefs best chance of winning was to go for the TD and win it right there instead of hoping for a lucky coin toss. If they did and failed Reid would have been crucified even though the same result having lost the toss.

Not sure the Rams should be there, Officials had to call that penalty, but hoping Rams win the SB anyway.

Mahomes is a freak. Not really his fault they lost. Outplayed Brady,Sure he'd have like that first half missed pass for TD back. Patriots run game just far superior. The Chiefs defence made a brave decision to let the Patriots keep running the ball hoping the RB's would wear out. Didn't quite work out.

Hope the Rams can do better against the run. Kamara and Ingram just shredded the Rams early, Michel and White could do the exact same thing if they're not carefull.
Gurley should be well rested, so there's that I guess.

Zadar

Juniors
That's not it, chief.
Nothing you said there addressed anything said in my post man.

It's fine, the Pats won and they probably deserve to, overall i'd agree they were the better team. It's just games shouldnt end like that. If Patty Mahomes gets the ball first and scores, statistically the Pats would still look just as dominant, and Brady would have been just as surgical and yet the fans would be denied the chance for the greatest QB of all time to add another pelt on his wall. It's not a fair or satisfying way to end things
Let the players, on all sides of the ball from both teams decide the outcomes. Not a coin toss.

Coin tosses decide cricket matches and series from the start, give big advantages in golden point, it’s been part of sport forever.
Each sport obviously has it’s reason for choosing how they play out OT, and if players were really that unhappy about it, you would think it would change.

kurt faulk

Coach

what a great win by the rams. they entered a hostile environment as you could get, took the saints best shot at the beginning of the game, hung in there and slowly worked their way back in the game. they overpowered the saints by the end. goff made some outstanding throws and out played brees facing much more trying conditions. the rams d came to play and held the saints in check. and what can you say about greg zuerlein, longest fg to win a playoff game, two clutch kicks at the end to win the game for the rams.

so bush league by the saints to allow fans to bring in whistles. i hope they lose draft picks for it. too bad the rams were better than them. i wonder if they were blowing the whistles walking down the street after the loss. f**kwits.

so happy they lost the way they did with the controversial call. the refs showed throughout the game they were gonna let the players play. that's why they let so many facemasks by the saints d go without flags. a saints player stomping a rams player's helmet while he was on the ground, nothing. so why are they crying when the refs let the rams do the same thing? i didn't see them crying throughout the game with saints d allowed to do as they pleased. suck shit you dirty, cheating f**ks.

dogslife

Coach

what a great win by the rams. they entered a hostile environment as you could get, took the saints best shot at the beginning of the game, hung in there and slowly worked their way back in the game. they overpowered the saints by the end. goff made some outstanding throws and out played brees facing much more trying conditions. the rams d came to play and held the saints in check. and what can you say about greg zuerlein, longest fg to win a playoff game, two clutch kicks at the end to win the game for the rams.

so bush league by the saints to allow fans to bring in whistles. i hope they lose draft picks for it. too bad the rams were better than them. i wonder if they were blowing the whistles walking down the street after the loss. f**kwits.

so happy they lost the way they did with the controversial call. the refs showed throughout the game they were gonna let the players play. that's why they let so many facemasks by the saints d go without flags. a saints player stomping a rams player's helmet while he was on the ground, nothing. so why are they crying when the refs let the rams do the same thing? i didn't see them crying throughout the game with saints d allowed to do as they pleased. suck shit you dirty, cheating f**ks.

You can't honestly believe any of this shit you've written can you?

I mean I hate the Taints more than anyone on this board, but holy f**kin shit...

Last Week

Bench
You can't honestly believe any of this shit you've written can you?

I mean I hate the Taints more than anyone on this board, but holy f**kin shit...

Yeah dude. Letting some facemasks and shirt grabs go is fine. But that not called PI was blatant.

nick87

Coach
Coin tosses decide cricket matches and series from the start, give big advantages in golden point, it’s been part of sport forever.
Each sport obviously has it’s reason for choosing how they play out OT, and if players were really that unhappy about it, you would think it would change.

Cricket test series are 5 day, long, drawn out protracted sporting events, there is literally 30 hours of sport, it's 2700 single moments of pitch and hit. Totally different, and even still, part of the reason i've never really gotten into cricket, particularly test cricket is because how routinely games are heavily influenced by a coin toss! Haha.

Anyways it's been this way for years and will likely be this way for years more. I've never liked it and i probably never will. I think with the game trending so much towards offensive football, and the powers that be promoting that side of the ball so much and making it increasingly difficult for defences to play... if that's the mentality, if that's the strategic direction (and fwiw i think that's the right and correct way to go) then you can then say "hey, its OT in a play off game, get a stop Defence!"

Parra

Referee

This is right. Coin tosses totally f**ked the last test series in Australia. This is something else that needs to change.

Zadar

Juniors
Cricket test series are 5 day, long, drawn out protracted sporting events, there is literally 30 hours of sport, it's 2700 single moments of pitch and hit. Totally different, and even still, part of the reason i've never really gotten into cricket, particularly test cricket is because how routinely games are heavily influenced by a coin toss! Haha.

Anyways it's been this way for years and will likely be this way for years more. I've never liked it and i probably never will. I think with the game trending so much towards offensive football, and the powers that be promoting that side of the ball so much and making it increasingly difficult for defences to play... if that's the mentality, if that's the strategic direction (and fwiw i think that's the right and correct way to go) then you can then say "hey, its OT in a play off game, get a stop Defence!"[/QUOTE]

Just because a test cricket match can go for 5 days, doesn’t mean it is that much different to a 3 hour game of NFL, chances are there from ball one or from minute one in the NFL, just because a game ends in a draw, does not mean both teams didn’t have a chance throughout the game to change the outcome at the end of normal time.

The other thing is, how many games have been won in OT by a TD compared to a FG. Not sure about the stats, but probably not as big a % as from a FG.

As a player, would you prefer to lose to a calculated offensive drive, or a 55yd FG?
I think you would feel more dudded by the FG because you did enough to stop the offence within reason, other than a lucky boot from so far out.

Reading and listening to ex players about this issue, majority are in favour of the current situation, because what it the perfect situation? one argument was that if each team gets the ball, and both score a touchdown, when does it end? if the next score wins, then the argument becomes, we only had the ball once, and they had it twice, so it’s still not fair.

In all the fallout, it is not even comparable from how both games ended, one was a great game of football won within the rules, the other was decided by a refereeing blunder.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Reading and listening to ex players about this issue, majority are in favour of the current situation, because what it the perfect situation? one argument was that if each team gets the ball, and both score a touchdown, when does it end? if the next score wins, then the argument becomes, we only had the ball once, and they had it twice, so it’s still not fair.

In all the fallout, it is not even comparable from how both games ended, one was a great game of football won within the rules, the other was decided by a refereeing blunder.

As someone else pointed out. At least if you have the ball once you can go for the 2 point conversion and win the game if you don't think you can stop them.

Valheru

Coach
Facemask and Holding non callas happen about every 3rd snap of every game, nothing new there. Some may argue missed PI calls happen regularly too but the vast majority of them are both players holding each other. The missed one on the Rams was blatant, the receiver was ironed out 1 second before the ball would have got to him lol

Anyways, it is over now.

Brady will be getting a 6th ring, there is no NFC East team to stop him this time.

Zadar

Juniors
People are arguing that Maholmes didn’t get a shot, or that if the chiefs won the coin toss, that they would have won the game.

Drew Brees the highest rating QB for the season, had the ball first in OT, they lost.

The D went out and did their job. Defence should be getting as much credit as the offence in both these games.

Zadar

Juniors
As someone else pointed out. At least if you have the ball once you can go for the 2 point conversion and win the game if you don't think you can stop them.

Would a rule, that if a two point converted TD in OT by the first attacking team be enough to end the game, or do both teams still need to touch the ball? The second team could just as easily do the same with their chance, and then we are back to square one, of course it would be rare, but so would be two TDs in OT.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Would a rule, that if a two point converted TD in OT by the first attacking team be enough to end the game, or do both teams still need to touch the ball? The second team could just as easily do the same with their chance, and then we are back to square one, of course it would be rare, but so would be two TDs in OT.

Might happen. And at some point you need to draw the line in the sand. I'm not sure the scenario is likely though. Can't see any NFL coach doing that given that it's up to the other team to force the situation. Why give them the option if you don't make the 2 point try that they can score a TD and just kick a FG. The coach would never live it down.

Valheru

Coach
People are arguing that Maholmes didn’t get a shot, or that if the chiefs won the coin toss, that they would have won the game.

Drew Brees the highest rating QB for the season, had the ball first in OT, they lost.

The D went out and did their job. Defence should be getting as much credit as the offence in both these games.

You're not getting it.

One of the key aspects of American football is that it is essentially 2 teams within a team (3 if you count special teams) which have nothing to do with the other. That is why you can have elite defences like Chicago who can't get over the line because they have average offence and vice versa. Quite clearly both teams need to play both sides of the ball to get a gauge of who the better team is.

Your point about Brees is a perfect example. Yes the LA defence did its job and what happened after that? The Rams offence then had to perform and the Saints defence got their opportunity. Would you have been happy if in that scenario the Rams won the game because the Saints failed to score without the saints defence getting a right of reply because that is essentially what happened in the Pats game but in reverse.

Valheru

Coach

I would force the teams to take 2 point conversions, no PAT unless the first team fails then the 2nd team can end the game on a PAT. In the case that both are successful on their first drive then next score wins. You could argue coin toss is still important but at least both offences and defences have had a chance to make a play already.

Zadar

Juniors
You're not getting it.

One of the key aspects of American football is that it is essentially 2 teams within a team (3 if you count special teams) which have nothing to do with the other. That is why you can have elite defences like Chicago who can't get over the line because they have average offence and vice versa. Quite clearly both teams need to play both sides of the ball to get a gauge of who the better team is.

Your point about Brees is a perfect example. Yes the LA defence did its job and what happened after that? The Rams offence then had to perform and the Saints defence got their opportunity. Would you have been happy if in that scenario the Rams won the game because the Saints failed to score without the saints defence getting a right of reply because that is essentially what happened in the Pats game but in reverse.

It not about not getting it, it’s what the game is, and how it has been forever, I’ll say it again, how many players and coaches have complained about this rule?

It’s the media and disgruntled fans that bring it up when the result doesn’t go the way they like,Max Kellerman is the perfect example, he hates the fact that he was wrong about Brady, and was relying on either the chargers or chiefs knocking him out to prove his point, through gritted teeth he is barely acknowledging that Brady won the game, Keeps saying it was all belichick and maholmes outplayed him easily. Both players on the media panel had no issues with the results.

As somebody else mentioned, if the chiefs won the game in the same circumstances, the talk of changing OT rules would of gotten 10% of the attention it is getting now.

Last edited: