What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL team names v College team names

T-Boon

Coach
Why is it that NFL team names are so boring and vanilla while College team names are unique and awesome?

Eagles, Giants, Patriots, Seahawkes, Cowboys, Rams etc (49ers is kind of unique I will admit).

Vs

Fighting Irish, Crimson Tide, Buckeyes, Boilermakers, Nittony Lions, Volunteers, Sooners etc.

shiznit

Coach
Why is it that NFL team names are so boring and vanilla while College team names are unique and awesome?

Eagles, Giants, Patriots, Seahawkes, Cowboys, Rams etc (49ers is kind of unique I will admit).

Vs

Fighting Irish, Crimson Tide, Buckeyes, Boilermakers, Nittony Lions, Volunteers, Sooners etc.
Not 100% sure... but I’d say maybe due to the fact those colleges are much older than NFL franchises... the NFL is pushing 100 years this season... where as colleges like Alabama are 200 years old.

It could be a period thing... I mean other sports teams have old nicknames... the All Blacks immediately come to mind.

It could also be by design from the NFL... maybe they wanted to keep them that way... incase they have to move... I’m not sure.

It could also just be that college football fans are f**king geniused...

T-Boon

Coach
Not 100% sure... but I’d say maybe due to the fact those colleges are much older than NFL franchises... the NFL is pushing 100 years this season... where as colleges like Alabama are 200 years old.

It could be a period thing... I mean other sports teams have old nicknames... the All Blacks immediately come to mind.

It could also be by design from the NFL... maybe they wanted to keep them that way... incase they have to move... I’m not sure.

It could also just be that college football fans are f**king geniused...

You were making good points then you went psycho. What the hell?

nick87

Coach
Yeah its historic, the colleges have old time names that strike a little different cord

the nfl franchises, have for the most part, been picked for comerical reasons.

Also f**k you and college football and the NCAA, f**king slavary...
(Only half kidding! haha)

T-Boon

Coach
Also f**k you and college football and the NCAA, f**king slavary...
(Only half kidding! haha)

I am conflicted about the NCAA. On one hand it is so refreshing to watch sport that is amateur and so does not have agents, contracts, hold outs etc. On the other I realise with all the money in college football and basketball it is not exactly amateur so why aren't the players getting it.
The NCAA is great for all (soccer, swimming, athletic, Lacrosse, volleyball etc) except for about 20 college footballers who would make it in the NFL as teenagers and a few basketballers.

T-Boon

Coach
We’ve got Ivy League college football on ESPN today. Another great team name:
Cornell Big Red. Classic.
Pro leagues lack double word team names. Adds a bit of wonder to it, like you feel like working out where it originated.

Latest posts