What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- Oscar Nominations

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's that time of year again. When the arty shit gets Oscars, and the genuinely enjoyable ones are ignored. With Return of the King being nominated for eleven Oscars, maybe it will finally get some acknowledgement.

Here are the major nominations. Feel free to make your bold prediction.

Best film: "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King", "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World", "Mystic River", "Seabiscuit", and "Lost in Translation".
Should Be: Return of the King
Will Be: Mystic River

I've seen Seabiscuit, ROTK, and Master and Commander. Found the first and the third pretty dull, and I've heard that Mystic River isn't especially brilliant. Would like to see Lost in Translation do well, and it's an outside bet.

Return of the King did manage to win Best Picture at the Golden Globes, and it's only opposition may be Lost in Translation. If they judge the movie as a whole (all three), I wouldn't be surprised to see ROTK get a nod.

Best actor: Johnny Depp for "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl", Ben Kingsley for "House of Sand and Fog", Jude Law for "Cold Mountain", Bill Murray for "Lost in Translation" and Sean Penn for "Mystic River".
Should Be: Sean Penn
Will Be: Sean Penn

No real surprises here. Good to see Depp and Murray nominated for 'comic' roles. I like Jude Law, but I'd rather not see the American propaganda film win many awards. No surprise to see ROTK not picking up any mentions.

Penn won the Golden Globe, so it's a good sign.

Best actress: Charlize Theron in "Monster", Naomi Watts in "21 Grams", Samantha Morton for "In America", Diane Keaton in "Something's Gotta Give", and Keisha Castle-Hughes for "Whale Rider".
Should Be: Charlize Theron
Will Be: Charlize Theron

Haven't seen any of these, so I can't really make a valid call. Theron won the Golden Globe though, and that's usually a good sign. Keisha was a huge shock.

Best director: Peter Jackson for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King", Clint Eastwood for "Mystic River", Peter Weir for "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World", Sofia Coppola for "Lost in Translation" and Fernando Meirelles for "City of God".
Should Be: Peter Jackson
Will Be: Peter Jackson

I can't go passed Jackson here. Who else has tackled a movie the size of Lord of the Rings? Master and Commander, in my opinion, dragged a little too much and wasn't especially well directed. Clint and Sofia are good bets, and Fernando Meirelles looks like the token foreign nomination. That said, everyone thought the same of Roberto Beneni and he (deservedly) took it out.

Best supporting actor: Alec Baldwin in "The Cooler", Benicio Del Toro for "21 Grams", Djimon Hounsou for "In America", Tim Robbins in "Mystic River", and Ken Watanabe in "The Last Samurai".
Should Be: Tim Robbins
Will Be: Tim Robbins

Based on his part in The Last Samurai, I wouldn't be unhappy of Watanabe got it. Robbins is a firm favourite though. I am a little disappointed that Sean Astin wasn't recognised. I don't care what you think of the films, but he did an amazing job.

Best supporting actress: Renee Zellweger for "Cold Mountain", Holly Hunter in "Thirteen", Marcia Gay Harden in "Mystic River", Patricia Clarkson for "Pieces of April" and Shohreh Aghdashloo in "House of Sand and Fog".
Should Be: Renee Zellweger
Will Be: Renee Zelwegger

Again, haven't seen any of these- but Zellwegger has been well looked upon in the Golden Globe stages.

So, tell me what you think. Who'll win. Who are you surprised to see nominated? Not nominated?

Chris

~bedsy~

First Grade
I'm thinking:
Best Movie: LOTR
Best Actor: Johnny Depp (hopeing lol)
Best Actess: Naomi Watts
Best Director: Peter Jackson
Best Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins
Best Supporting Actress: Renee Zellwegger

sexybum

Juniors
im surprised nicole kidman didnt get nominated!! but in my opinion that movie wasnt that great anyway!

Misanthrope

Staff member
So I shouldn't waste some cash on seeing it?

Has anyone seen Big Fish? Could I get opinions?

Chris

sexybum

Juniors
nah dont watch it!!
i havent seen big fish yet... i didnt think it came out yet...but that movie looks really got and ewan mcgregor in my opinion is a heaps good actor! i cant wait to watch it :D