What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

Skeletor

Juniors
somethingwithjohn said:
This will be a great Stanley Cup

Absolutley, it will be a great series between 2 really strong teams and I don't have any hatred for either. I will slightly favour the Sens becaue I would rather not see Brad May or "Doctor" Brian Burke's name on the Stanley Cup.

aphelion

Juniors
It's going to be a great series. I like the Sens but I'll be leaning towards the Ducks because I want to see Selanne get his name on the cup.

Looking forward to it.

Jono Russell

Bench
Lucky Red Wings didn't make it through ay. I bet you all would have hated seeing Butuzzis name on that cup haha.

Yet I feel sorry for the bloke and he is still one of the most exciting players I have ever seen in Canucks gear.

The bad thing is since that hit on moore he has never played the same it is like he is scared to play hard anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDAauraFdIM - great video to watch

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
i cant wait for it, brad may has been great for the ducks in the playoffs, his experience has helped alot and brian burke has to be one of the smartest GM's going around, didnt make those massive trades before the deadline like those other teams.

Skeletor

Juniors
somethingwithjohn said:
Yet I feel sorry for the bloke and he is still one of the most exciting players I have ever seen in Canucks gear.

The bad thing is since that hit on moore he has never played the same it is like he is scared to play hard anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDAauraFdIM - great video to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNH-Ilr0vEE - This one is better.

If you feel sympathy for anyone in this incident, it ought to be the guy who was sucker punched and had his head thrown down into the ice, not the perpertrator of the incident. Bertuzzi should have been banned from the National Hockey League for life after that.

Skeletor

Juniors
OK, free agencies early doors are done, I'll show the details here:
Mathieu Schneider signs in Anaheim - This could mean the speculation about Neidermayer's impending retirement is spot-on.

Briere signs in Philly - I called this one. 8 years $52 million, front-loaded and with a no-movement clause (which, in opposition to a No Trade Clause also requires the player's permission to be waived as well as traded). The cap hit will be $6.5m per year even though he will make $10m in his first year. This could start the dominoes falling into place for the rest of the teams since Briere is off the board and it could "set the market".

Thornton and Iginla sign extensions - I thought Iggy had a small chance of being traded if he didn't agree to an extension. I think if the Sharks also get Drury it spells the end of Patrick Marleau's days in SJ.

Minnesota trade Backstrom to the Bruins for Petr Klaus and a 4th - I like this trade from Minny's perspective, I'm not entirely sure what the Bruins are up to. This is a Franchise which seems to be in a weird combination of trading away established players for prospects and also doing the exact opposite. Which absolutely confuses me. Do they see themselves as contenders or not?

Rafalski to Detroit - 5 years, $30 million. Good on the power play, good defensively...a little undersized, but he gives his all every game. Will make an interesting partnership with Lidstrom. I still hate Detroit, but this was a fairly good signing for them.

b]Scott Hannan to the Avs[/b] - 4 years, 18 mill. Nice signing, definitely filling our teams need for a defensive defender. It's not too much more than lesser players like Poti and Kubina have gotten recently.

Drury and Gomez to the Rangers - Drury getting around 7.1m/year for 5 years and Gomez getting about 7.3m/year for 7. Will make them scary for next year, but they may regret these contracts later. I think they over payed slightly for both, probably more for Gomez. May spell the end for Nylander and Shanahan.

Jason Blake to the Leafs - 4 years 20 mill. Not a bad signing.

Kings sign Nagy, Calder, Handzus and Preissing - To give an analogy, it's like an 18 year old girl has been given her daddy's credit card on the day of the big Macy's sale and told to go wild. She gets to the store and all the really nice stuff she'd seen in the catalog was gone already. So she stocks up on a bunch of stuff from the "irregulars" bin. Handzus is coming off an ACL injury which caused him to play less than 10 games last season, signing him for 4 years at $4m could be a decision they regret. Calder and Nagy are coming off pretty poor seasons. Preissing is a great signing for a team that needs a small, puck moving, finesse D-man, which fits the Kings bill nicely.

Hamrlik to the Habs - $22m, 4 years. Ouch...overpayment.

Bertuzzi to the Ducks - $8m for 2 years. I was expecting him to get a small contract with big incentives. This may be my intense hatred of this guy, but I think this is an awful overpayment for a guy coming off an injury without a great record of healing (back problems).

Nylander to the Caps - Nice signing, especially for less than $5m a year. I guess the lure of playing with Ovechkin gives guys a reason to want to play there.

Sykora and Sydor to the Pens - $2.5m a year over 2 years for each. I really don't know what to say about this one. I guess they're OK.

Devils sign Zubrus for 6 years - 6 years, $3.4m/year is maybe a bit too much for a guy who figures to be a 3rd/4th liner. He's only scored 20 goals in a season once, so anything above the 3rd line is probably a stretch for him.

Bonk, Ortmeyer and De Vries sign with Nashville - Low-rent replacements for Hartnell, Kariya and Timonen. I guess when you can't spend much money you takes what you cans.

Kariya to the Blues - $6m a year for 3 years. I guess they see themselves as contending soon. With their prospects coming through the system I probably would too.

Warning to any teams with a lot of cap space left: A certain Mr. Souray is still available and given how much GMs love a right handed point shot, he may end up terribly overpaid.

In other news a local group has made an offer for the Predators franchise. It's probably the best way to keep the team in Nashville.

If anyone's curious where I'm getting the financial figures for all these signings, the answer is here.
Big names left: Peter Forsberg, Brendan Shanahan, Slava Kozlov (oh, that reminds me...Viktor is a Cap now), and Bill Guerin.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Brian Burke usually brings out the best of players, who's careers seem to be done and dusted. He signed brad may for the back end of the season and he turned out to be great for the ducks. Burke knows what he is doing. This is why bertuzzi will be a good signing for the ducks i believe

Talk is that philly are interested in teemu selanne. i dont belive it, selanne said either retirement or staying in anaheim.

As for niedermayer i think he will be retiring, the signing of schneider suggests this, if he did decide to play on then the ducks would have some awesome d pairings

Monk

Referee
hey im a dallas stars fan,
luv the game and manage 2 catch a few on the odd occasion.
anyone know where i can buy a dallas stars jersey???
in the illawarra/sydney area????