What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nick Names

annamat

Juniors
Hi,

Can anyone help me?? I was watching the 20/20 game last night and I noticed that Andrew Symons nick name on his shirt was Roy.
Can anyone shed some light on how he got that nick name??

Thanks

Annamat

lockyno1

Post Whore
Look don't quote me on this but there was a band who he really liked and the lead singer was Roy .... I don't know his last name. He looked simialr to that singer when he started FC Cricket. I heard something along those lines on the ABC.

I heard he was originally called Royce Symmonds after the panthers legend, but it was then abbreviated to Roy. Just like Justin Langer is called alfie.

lockyno1

Post Whore
WM you would know more than me so I would take your word for it. It was some time ago that I heard it on the ABC so it is hard to remember the whole thing!

julian87

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
I heard he was originally called Royce Symmonds after the panthers legend, but it was then abbreviated to Roy. Just like Justin Langer is called alfie.

Corrrrrrrrrrrect

NPK

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:

Symmonds and Symonds aren't even pronounced the same. Strange.

annamat

Juniors
Thanks for that guys... And the fact that I am a mad Panthers fan makes that all the better!!

Thomo.

First Grade
waltzing Meninga said:

who the f**k is royce Symmonds???? or is it simmonds, which is pronounced completely different! how could that get confused?

thomo_shark said:
who the f**k is royce Symmonds???? or is it simmonds, which is pronounced completely different! how could that get confused?

His other nick name is Simsy which may explain it. Im not sure how his team mates drew the comparison

Thomo.

First Grade
i'm surprised his team mates linked to royce simmonds! bizarre

what about clarke the bowler from NSW, his was safaraz - or something???? do you know that one

grungle

Juniors
When he was a kid he was a fan of a character called roy of the rovers( a soccer player in comics). I guess the name has stuck.

SirShire

First Grade
Doesn't he have Indian parents or something? It sounded Indian to me, and I thought it was something to do with that...

NPK

Bench
grungle said:
When he was a kid he was a fan of a character called roy of the rovers( a soccer player in comics). I guess the name has stuck.
Richie Benaud just said the same thing..must be the correct origin of the nickname.

JJ

Immortal
grungle said:

that's what I'd heard

what suprises me more is that people in a league site would think Royce SIMMONS (Panthers, NSW and Aust legend :D ) was Royce Symmonds :?