What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nigeria on SKY TV from the Embassy.

Pommy

Coach
How good would the 2025 World Cup be to have Jamaica vs Nigeria as a fixture.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
How good would the 2025 World Cup be to have Jamaica vs Nigeria as a fixture.
It would be amazing. Plus these 2 nations have the advantage of having a decent sized pool of heritage players to pick from.

Longer term these 2 nations need to lay the foundations of grassroots and domestic RL in their respective countries.

Pommy

Coach
It would be amazing. Plus these 2 nations have the advantage of having a decent sized pool of heritage players to pick from.

Longer term these 2 nations need to lay the foundations of grassroots and domestic RL in their respective countries.

Well Jamaica have laid the foundations and it appears Nigeria are on course to do the same. I think Jamaica’s potential pool of heritage players will be shrinking very rapidly although not to zero but the majority of West Indian migration to the UK was in the post war era and therefore the grandparent rule will be of only limited use to them going forward. The same is going to be true of teams like Italy in the next decade, they can’t rely on heritage players forever.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Well Jamaica have laid the foundations and it appears Nigeria are on course to do the same. I think Jamaica’s potential pool of heritage players will be shrinking very rapidly although not to zero but the majority of West Indian migration to the UK was in the post war era and therefore the grandparent rule will be of only limited use to them going forward. The same is going to be true of teams like Italy in the next decade, they can’t rely on heritage players forever.
Exactly. That’s why I support the heritage rule for developing nations in order for us to be seen and get our foot in the door in terms of recognition and possibly funding from governments to help lay the foundations and produce homegrown talent.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Great videos thanks for posting. Let’s hope these domestic comps get local support.

Norway, Spain, Greece , Nigeria, Jamaica, Serbia have some real growth happening.

Pommy

Coach
Exactly. That’s why I support the heritage rule for developing nations in order for us to be seen and get our foot in the door in terms of recognition and possibly funding from governments to help lay the foundations and produce homegrown talent.

I’m not against the heritage rule but too many countries rely on it to the detriment of others.
You have teams like Scotland, Italy and Ireland (although to their credit they’re trying to restrict it now) who have had squads with huge number of heritage players and very little domestic action going on.
Scotland will probably always be able to get a team of heritage players from England and Australia whilst countries with real domestic scenes like Serbia get punished for not having bigger migrant populations.
I really hope Jamaica raise their profile tis time with heritage players and can build something more meaningful in Jamaica with it.