What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nigerians take to Rugby League

GBT

Juniors
Thanks to Elite Skolar of RLFfans for the following article :-

A major wish of former Bradford Bulls star Abi Ekoku would be to see this year's Middlesex 9's used as a springboard to launch a full-blown Nigerian national side.

London Nigerians are one of the top draw cards in the Middlesex 9's Tournament to be held at New River Stadium, home of the London Skolars, on Sunday July 6 2003.

The Nigerians are a mixture of current Rugby League players and a successful Union side that has taken the London leagues by storm in the last few years. The side is the brainchild of London Skolars star prop Obi Ijeoma and supported by ex London Broncos and Bradford Bulls Chief Executive Ekoku. Both hope to see the side's inclusion in the tournament as a launch pad to a future full Nigerian representative side.

"The Middlesex 9's is an ideal concept to bring together players from Nigerian backgrounds," said Ekoku, whose brother, Efan - a former Wimbledon FC star - represented Nigeria's national football team.

"There are players dotted about throughout the professional game, league and union, Amateur and student game, that are eligible and the side should be a very strong one. The short-numbered game should suit the style of play we will adopt, which I think will be extremely exciting to watch and I am sure the crowd will take us to their hearts. Watch out for some spectacular running and great tries.

"I would really like to see this side turn into a fully-fledged rep side where players can feel proud to wear the green of Nigeria. I believe the Nigerians are currently talking to Dave Southern of Rugby League Ireland about playing an international against the Irish Wolfhounds later this year in Dublin and things are looking very exciting. I am sure if this can get off the ground in the UK then the next step is to tackle the vast talent available in Nigeria. It is a huge country with a very huge pool of sporting talent. I for one can not wait to see it grow."

Visionary Skolars prop Ijeoma, added: "I have loved every minute of my Rugby League career, which began at Swansea University and has brought me to the Skolars, and to set up a Nigerian side is just a dream come true.

"I have no doubt that the side we put in the MX9's will be by far the most exciting in the tournament and I am sure there will be a hat-full of length of the field tries."

The Nigerian side should have a wealth of league talent at its disposal, including Skolars stars Charlie Oyebade and Mike Oksugawa, former London Broncos three-quarter Olu Iwenofu and former Super League star Bright Sodje (Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks).

TheFirstRabbitoh said:
Are they actually going to start a comp in Nigeria?

Not at the moment. This side was a bunch of UK-based Nigerians and those of Nigerian descent. The London Nigerians RU side, from which some of the players came, is much the same basis.

I don't think they actually played in the Middlesex Sevens in the end, but I don't know why.

It's a good thing to spark some interest in league in Nigeria but there's nothing there yet.

dimitri

First Grade
someone should go and start something in nigeria

if it was afl they would already be listed an official iafc country

BTige

Juniors
TheFirstRabbitoh said:
Are they actually going to start a comp in Nigeria?

Highly unlikely. Which is more than could be said for a Nigerian AFL comp. That really would be a flight of fancy.