What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale is done

mickeylane

Bench
You don't rate Mann in a full time position Mickey? I do. I haven't seen much of Lomax though. Apparently he can play FB, winger and centre. Sounds just like Mann. Thoughts?
I just think that Mann has dug a hole for himself as being a very versatile player and an ideal 14 where he can slot in anywhere in the backline and also at lock now...Lomax would have been playing first grade by now if his injury hadnt occured...

nrlnrl

First Grade
We have on our books the ISP leading try scorer, line breaker, tackle breaker and 4th highest metre maker.

Another player who is number 3 for metres, number 2 for kick return metres and number 4 for tackle breaks and 4 for try assists.

Then we have Lomax who is rated better than both and we are linked to two promising juniors

We have no need for Nightingale or Morris now let alone next year.
I don't know which is my stronger emotion.

Sadness - seeing a once top class winger being left to wither on the vine, a shadow of himself. Please Jason don't play on, we know you love the club & love playing footy, but we want the good memories to outweigh the bad. Prolonging your career is only letting the bad ones catch up. (too quickly)

Anger - not seeing younger backs like Herbert, Garrick or Pereira given a go as an alternative. (yes I realise Lomax has been unavailable due to a broken hand, but he should've been given more time in NRL before that).

More anger - reading that we might be offering Nightingale and/or Brett Morris contracts for 2019. There's a difference between loyalty & stupidity. Can someone please explain it to the relevant people at the Dragons?

RufusRex

Post Whore
Nightingale and Morris are the oldest two wingers playing NRL at the moment … 12 years older than blokes making their debut and outperforming them. Such a bad idea to even consider signing them.

Life's Good

Coach
I don't know which is my stronger emotion.

Sadness - seeing a once top class winger being left to wither on the vine, a shadow of himself. Please Jason don't play on, we know you love the club & love playing footy, but we want the good memories to outweigh the bad. Prolonging your career is only letting the bad ones catch up. (too quickly)

Anger - not seeing younger backs like Herbert, Garrick or Pereira given a go as an alternative. (yes I realise Lomax has been unavailable due to a broken hand, but he should've been given more time in NRL before that).

More anger - reading that we might be offering Nightingale and/or Brett Morris contracts for 2019. There's a difference between loyalty & stupidity. Can someone please explain it to the relevant people at the Dragons?
Well said & I totally agree. I’m afraid there is just a massive disconnect between what is happening & what should be happening. The club will trot out they have brought ISP players in during the year but the fact remains a token 10 minute stint means sh*t when you are genuinely keen to add to your depth. No disrespect to either Nighty or Bmoz but signing them only sets us back even further in regards to development because I can’t see us hanging on to generation next when another year of no opportunities presents itself.

Bench
If we don’t bring our juniors to first grade they will go elsewhere. I read somewhere
that if we don’t bring at least one junior through each year we have to plan going forward

Dorsai

Juniors
I agree that it would be in nightingale’s best interest to retire at the end of the year as he is nearing the end of a great career.
I do believe however his edge partners are making him look worse than he is and he maybe cops more blame than he should. No he is not the fastest, but he will always put his hand up to go forward. The rest of his partners do not. You can see he has little trust in the defensive reads of his playing partners and that is making him look bad at times.
Just st saying, give him some better support out there and his performance would be better.
Mann is just not an option.