What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nines Thread

Blues Riff

Bench
Thought I'd start one. Even if you're not into it, you'll be watching.

Big Kiks launched the jersey, so does that mean he's playing?

Young Jerome was great for Samoa in Nines. Should we try and win it?

MugaB

Coach
Thought I'd start one. Even if you're not into it, you'll be watching.

Big Kiks launched the jersey, so does that mean he's playing?

Young Jerome was great for Samoa in Nines. Should we try and win it?
Samoan/penrith team plus kiks, Capewell, Edwards, Crichton, Cleary, Tetevano, Whare, Naden

franklin2323

Immortal
No point playing experienced guys. Would be good for young guys though

those who played in the end of year should play outside of Kikau.

my squad would be

Laurie
Luai
Burton
Naden
To’o
Crichton
Leinu
Burns
MWZ
Leota
Aekins
Harris
Jed
Hetherington

franklin2323

Immortal
Little comps like this sometimes help after a poor year.
If we pick up no injuries and win it - or go close it should be good for morale.

It is why I wouldn’t play anyone with an injury or a senior guy. These are toss of the coin things anyway

Fangs

Coach
Its also somewhat of an indication of success in the Telstra Premiership:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRL_Nines#Results_-_Men

2014 Nines
Cowboys 16 def Broncos 7

2015 Nines
Rabbitohs 18 def Sharks 14

2016 Nines
Eels 22 def Warriors 4*

2017 Nines
Roosters 10 def Panthers 8

*Title stripped, because they were a bunch of hack cheats. Surprisingly did not result in their club being relocated to Perth.

Apart from 2016, all the Nines grand finalists have made the top 8 that same year.

Further, 3 of those Nines finalists have taken out the premiership during the 4 years that the Nines were contested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rugby_League#Premiership_winners

2014 Telstra Premiership
Rabbitohs 30 def Bulldogs 6

2015 Telstra Premiership
Cowboys 17 def Broncos 16

2016 Telstra Premiership
Sharks 14 def Storm 12

2017 Telstra Premiership
Storm 36 def Cowboys 6

Panfa

Juniors
I'd play Hetherington Burton naden chrichton burns aekins leniu Ellis Cartwright mansour Laurie tetevano capewell luai koroisau

Blues Riff

Bench
I don't think they'll send Jed - only just out of cotton wool. What about Tamou? He led us to the GF last time.

Blues Riff

Bench
Tamou, Tetevano and MWZ named in the Maori squad, so I'd say that rules them out.
I vaguely remember MWZ scoring a blinder of a try in the nines.

Edit- the beauty of playing Kikau is that it will (literally) take half the opposition team to stop him. 4.5 men in the tackle, yeah, sounds about right.

Last edited:

Panfa

Juniors
Well that probably rules 4 of them out of our tigers trial as all stars is on the same night 22nd Feb and I doubt kikau backs up for tigers most likely he will play against parra.

Kilkenny

Coach
The nines is a Mickey Mouse competition you just hope and prey no injuries. Same for all clubs I know but it is hearts in mouths stuff, not the results, just getting thru injury free.

franklin2323

Immortal
I understand we are contractually obliged to play a certain number of our best players but surely we could have trotted out someone less crucial in this Mickey Mouse event than Kikau.

As someone said we have 3 in the All stars game. Still no May. 5 or 6 still injured so rather him then someone comeback early and do more damage.

Unless it is a major injury 4 weeks to get right before the season. Hopefully it helps those who play get better at playing what is infront of them. No injuries and it will be a good run

Latest posts