What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nines

Godz Illa

Coach
Green was way more impressive than Mata'utia on friday. He ran strongly, has developed a strong fend, finished tries off professionally and didn't put a foot wrong in defence or under high balls. He looks more like a first grader these days

dino2170

Juniors
GREEN is not a centre or winger, what about a lock forward. Im not sure why he was picked in the nines squad.

WHERES CREAGH?

stg666

Juniors
start of the year and we all, know all . green did finish well on the weekend and has size and speed. saving the others for charity shield and giving him a run in the 9s sounds reasonable to me and i hope he goes well. all love here.

watatank

Coach
I for one wouldn't be happy, but that's because IMO Runciman and Mata'utia are better replacements, rather than a result of Green 'hate'.

If Greens future is in the backrow (and given his experience in the centres, he could do very well there) then why waste any more time turning him into a makeshift centre? Work on his strength, try it out in Cutters and who knows, could be the next Ben Creagh..

Backrowers take time to mature and many play in the centres while they do that.

Playing centres in NRL is better development than playing backrow in NSW Cup because collectively speaking you're facing more bigger, faster and stronger opponents and many of them are centres.

Anyway, too many posts on this, time to move on.

Last edited:

pinkmoon

Juniors
I have always thought Green had the physique to be a decent first grader and this year I believe we will find out. He has been very good in the lower grades and it's only a matter of time before he finds his feet in FG.

jenninga

First Grade
Green was way more impressive than Mata'utia on friday. He ran strongly, has developed a strong fend, finished tries off professionally and didn't put a foot wrong in defence or under high balls. He looks more like a first grader these days

Reckon Green is a good footballer,not flashy but would do the job.

RedPenno

Juniors
yes green looked quite good on Friday night. I know it was against a lesser team but he still did well in my opinion

BennyV

Referee
Rooster have named their squad... not sure who of their Top 5 they are including but interesting to note that young Hastings is heading over with them! Will be a good test for him.

mickeylane

Bench
Dragons will go close to winning the Nines!! Named a very strong team.. Especially w Williams and Quinlan the halves w Farrel and Thompson, Dugan Morris nightingale Merin Harrison etc.. I think it's between Auckland, Brincos, Tigers and Us.. Seriously think we are a v good chance !Would b an amazing confidence boost!

kit66

Bench
In his first couple of fg games I thought he played really well but he couldn't force his way into the team even over some pretty ordinary competition ( C.Stanley, Vidot ). His last few appearences weren't that good.
He looks bigger and stronger this year but would have to play really well to get a shot ahead other centre options. You never know though maybe he'll show the form in fg that got him selected in the 2012 NYC Team of the year.
I'm hoping Runciman gets an opportunity though.

BennyV

Referee
Dragons will go close to winning the Nines!! Named a very strong team.. Especially w Williams and Quinlan the halves w Farrel and Thompson, Dugan Morris nightingale Merin Harrison etc.. I think it's between Auckland, Brincos, Tigers and Us.. Seriously think we are a v good chance !Would b an amazing confidence boost!

Cant see Tigers being a huge threat tbh. Sharks might do ok, as may Manly. We SHOULD do well, as you said we are taking a strong team over.

TheRev

Coach
Naming a strong team is great but it doesnt guarantee anything, we dont actually have many 'individual freaks' in our 1st grade Squad, the only guys who are going to really surprise the opposition are Dugan, Quinlan & Widdop (though Widdop is staying home), granted most of the best players were left home by opposition teams, so that evens the playing field.

If we go well in the 9's, it will be because we play well as a team unit, and frankly its been a while since we have had any killer instinct or attacking structure on the field.

Thats why imo Price is playing such a strong squad, he wants to use the 9's to build confidence so they can start the NRL season in the right mindset.