What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nintendo NX - Next Gen Harware Concept

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Nintendo Switch Lite release date, price, games and more
By Tom Bedford, Vic Hood 11 hours ago Gaming

Nintendo's newest handheld console

After months of rumors, Nintendo has finally announced a new Nintendo Switch console. The Nintendo Switch Lite is a much smaller, solely handheld version of the Nintendo Switch and comes in three different colors: yellow, gray and turquoise.

According to Nintendo, the Nintendo Switch Lite is a device "dedicated to handheld gameplay". The device has integrated controls and, unlike its larger predecessor, will not support video output to TV.

Nintendo Switch games that support handheld mode.

The Nintendo Switch Lite will launch on September 20, 2019 and cost $199.99 (AU$329, roughly £160).

A limited edition Nintendo Switch Lite Zacian & Zamazenta Edition console will also launch on November 8 to celebrate the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Shield games - this version will feature cyan and magenta buttons, and illustrations of the two new Legendary Pokémon.

We've gathered all the important information on the Nintendo Switch Lite, so you can quickly become an expert on Nintendo's newest console.

The Nintendo Switch Lite will release on September 20, 2019. To celebrate the release of Pokémon Sword and Shield, a limited-edition Nintendo Switch Lite Zacian & Zamazenta Edition will launch on November 8, 2019.

When it releases, you'll be able to pick up the Nintendo Switch Lite for $199.99 (AU$329, roughly £160).

That's a fair saving on the launch price of the Nintendo Switch at $299.99 / £279.99 / AU$469.95, and it shows what the Switch Lite is meant to be – an affordable version of the Switch.

Between various Nintendo Switch bundles and deals, and of course the impending Amazon Prime Day, you can actually get a Switch quite a bit cheaper than that launch price now, but we'd also expect the Switch Lite to come with bundles to cut its price down too.

The Nintendo Switch Lite will launch on September 20, 2019 - just in time for holiday season. The handheld console will be available in turquoise, gray and yellow models, as the above image shows, and will also come with a screen protector and protective case.

If you're a fan of Pokémon Sword and Shield, it may be worth waiting a little longer until November 8 (a week before the game's release), when Nintendo is launching a Zacian & Zamazenta Edition console, which will feature cyan and magenta buttons, and illustrations of the two new Legendary Pokémon.

Strictly handheld
The Nintendo Switch Lite is a handheld device, that means it doesn't have the hybrid options the original Nintendo Switch has such as detachable Joy-Cons, a kickstand and support for video output to TV. Instead the Switch Lite has integrated controls (much like the 3DS) and doesn't come with an HDMI cable or dock.

Battery life
The Switch Lite battery life is supposedly around 7 hours (the same as the Nintendo Switch), so it might not be amazing for long journeys, but it still should be useful for your daily commute.

Supports handheld games (but some may need an additional Joy-Con)
Nintendo Switch Lite supports all Nintendo Switch software that can be played in handheld mode.

If a game supports Joy-Con functions such as HD rumble, IR Motion Camera and Joy-Con motion sensors, some features will not be available using Nintendo Switch Lite alone as Joy-Con controllers are required to use these features.

For games that do not support handheld mode, players can wirelessly connect Joy-Con controllers to the device. For example, Mario Tennis Aces' Swing Mode, which allows you to play with motion controls, cannot be played unless you connect a Joy-Con controller.

Can tabletop games work?
Yes, but you will probably need an additional Joy-Con controller or controllers to wirelessly connect to the Nintendo Switch Lite in order to play party games. However, some games will have restrictions. Super Mario Party' Toad's Rec Room minigames, for example, aren't designed for the shape of Nintendo Switch Lite, so players won't have the "same experience".

More compact and lighter
The Nintendo Switch Lite is considerably smaller and lighter than its predecessor. The Switch Lite measures 91.1mm x 208mm x 13.9mm and weighs 275g while the Nintendo Switch measures 102mm x 239mm x 13.9mm and weights 297g.

Smaller Screen
The Nintendo Switch Lite has a 5.5 inch LCD touch screen with 1280 x 720 resolution. The Nintendo Switch has the same resolution but a larger screen, measuring 6.2 inches.

You'll be able to play almost all your Nintendo Switch games on your new Switch Lite – almost, not all.

Games will need to have a handheld mode to work, although according to Nintendo, "some games will have restrictions". Nintendo has clarified that the back-of-box information for physical games, or Nintendo's website, will say if this is the case.

Most of your favourite games do have this handheld mode, including Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Super Mario Maker 2.

https://www.techradar.com/news/nintendo-switch-lite-release-date-price-games-and-more

A great idea but the pricing is way off IMO. I bought my Switch for $375 off Amazon so a $45 saving I don't think is worth it.

simmo1

First Grade
Can't see this being a hit.

I love my Switch and it works great as is in handheld mode. I don't think the reduced flexibility is a good trade off ~$50.

Pommy

Coach
Can't see this being a hit.

I love my Switch and it works great as is in handheld mode. I don't think the reduced flexibility is a good trade off ~$50.

It’s probably more for the Japanese market, handhelds rule over there.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
I imagine its more for people who havent upgraded from 3DS yet

I play with mine 50/50 docked and handheld so its a pass for me

especially since I doubt Nintendo will let us migrate our accounts

Frederick

Staff member
So I'm considering picking up a switch (classic, not lite) to introduce the kids to Mario kart and smash Bros and get myself reacquainted with Zelda, but I keep hearing about joycon drift?

Should I? Shouldn't I? Pros and cons from other owners on here plz

Generalzod

Immortal
So I'm considering picking up a switch (classic, not lite) to introduce the kids to Mario kart and smash Bros and get myself reacquainted with Zelda, but I keep hearing about joycon drift?

I’ve got the lite it’s awesome...

Big Pete

Referee

If you're only interested in those games, you could just buy a Wii U which has the Switch version of Mario Kart and Zelda on there for a fraction of the price. Even Smash to a certain extent isn't a huge step up from the Wii U version.

That's just an option and I'd imagine the kids would prefer the shiny new toy.

What I like about the Switch is how seamless it is to boot in and out of games. There's rarely any load times and you can just put the console to sleep and start back up from exactly where you left off. It's extremely versatile as well, you can play the console anywhere and the one joy con set-up is surprisingly comfortable to play with.

I've gotten a lot of value out of the online subscription content and it's virtual console. Instead of paying for one game at a time, they have a great range of NES and SNES classics. Plenty of great games there like Super Mario Kart and even a few obscure games like Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack) to play through. I think there's nearly a 100 games there, so there's bound to be something you like, for $30 for a year, it's well worth it.

Those games you listed were all great entries in their respective series. You could honestly pour 100s of hours into each game and still have things to do in them. There's some other great exclusives for the platform that are child friendly and well worth looking into.

I would recommend buying a screen protector with it since the dock can scratch the screen of the console. They're pretty cheap but just something to be mindful of.

The con is that it's not the most powerful system and a lot of the ports suck. It's still pretty pricey as well, it's going to cost you around $600 for all that kit and that's factoring in deals. If you want an extra set of joycons or a pro controller that's an additional $100. The subscription service is okay, but the actual online component is pretty awful. We're also about half-way through it's lifespan so a new version could be around the corner.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Im sick of waiting for a PS5 so thinking of getting a Switch.

Only thing holding me back is apart form BOTW i dont know a huge amount of games. Any other recomendations?

jargan83

Coach
Metroid comes out in September, Super Mario Odyssey was a great game.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online was both mine and my wife's past time during COVID work from home in 2020

Latest posts