What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9

afinalsin666

First Grade
Watch it. Do it.

Amazing show, top to bottom, with two of the best matches I have ever seen.

Shattered Okada lost, even though I only just saw him for the first time today. JR and Striker actually paired really well together. Turns out having no color commentator isn't just viable, but preferable.

Bulldog Force

Referee
You'll find a lot of people find wrestling interesting due to the story lines. In some cases, nut jobs such as Dean Ambrose etc...make the extreme matches interesting, but again, the nut job storyline makes it that way. New Japan do a lot of crazy shit, but if there's nothing else there to tie what hey. Do in the ring with the locker room,it gets very boring very quickly.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Then get on the NJPW YouTube channel and watch Strikers series of recaps for every match. I had no trouble following any of the storylines after that, and JR and Striker did a great job of calling the action with plenty of history thrown in.

By your logic, why would anyone ever get into wrestling? If the stories only matter, or the only interesting part, then there is never a jumping off point in pro wrestling, as no new blood knows when the stories start.

Not extreme matches either, just strong style pure pro wrestling.

DB

First Grade
Just downloaded it... Will give it a watch, over few nights I think.

Awesome show, most fun Ive had watching a show since the first Dragon Gate PPV. I've been watching New Japan alot the past couple of months, all shows are available on the Chinese version of youtube here, which means I can avoid VPN issues. Its VERY easy to follow, the booking is logical and I love the characters and workers. Bloody good fun!

azzah72

Bench
I hadn't watched any Japanese wrestling before but I heard the hype and gave it a look last night.

It was a different style to what I am used to but I did enjoy it.

I think the crowd threw me a bit, they don't seem the same as western audiences and they seem to watch it quietly except for the odd big move (Notably the styles clash, which I am glad they explained why because I didn't know).

Overall I enjoyed it, the final 4 matches were decent.

DB

First Grade
I assume more towards Striker and Ross being there for GFW, Jarrett's new promotion.

Yes, but they referred to both Jarrett and Styles as former NWA World Champions, which was at a time when the belt was controlled by TNA. There were also a lot of references to the WWE and their titles, while ROH got a plug due to their working relationship with NJPW.

It was a bit surprising since there were guys on the card who had held major titles in TNA wrestling on that show (Lance Archer won the Tag champs, Alex Shelley a Tag + X Title champ, Styles a Grand Slam champ) which could have developed them as big players to the English speaking market that may not of known their background in NJPW.

Last edited:

Swarzey

Bench
I was a little surprised that they name dropped every major North American promotion bar TNA.

Few minutes into Styles vs Naito, JR credited AJ Styles as someone who put TNA on the map and then Striker followed it up about TNA moving onto "bigger things" alongside Lucha Underground, Ring of Honor etc.

Wrestle Kingdom 9 was everything I expected it to be. Three Match of the Year candidates with perhaps one match being anything less than four stars. Having the English commentary really allowed me to connect more with the storylines that I think a fair chunk of older wrestling fans has lost sight of nowadays (aka, f**k storylines, give us wrestling). I've watched G1 Climax, Best of the Super Juniors, Super Tag Titles etc over the years but I've never really been as invested as I was on Sunday. For the first time in years, over a decade, I felt like a kid. Mind taken out, sat back and just enjoyed it. The story, the quality of wrestling. Everything.

Agree wholeheartedly^

Both Striker and JR did a great job, I thought Striker in particular, and being that he himself is a fan, that added excitement factor really came off well. JR was good, he sorta just sat back and enjoyed himself too. Sure hes not the JR of old, but he still did the job.

Iv since watched the show again and its mind blowing how fluid it really is, 3.75 hours just fly by...now if only we could say the same about the current US product.

Some cooler video packages would have been nice, but the inring product definitly made up for that...and I LOOOOOVE the J-style ring entrances, lighting and special effects. Im gonna have to goto a show this year I swear.

afinalsin666

First Grade
What was really cool was I watched it with my parents, who are casual at best. They got so into the matches with no knowledge of story or anything. Mum even noted that they told good enough stories in the ring that they got the gist of what was happening.

Shows that casuals don't particularly need storyline. There is a reason Wrestlemania is the most bought ppv of the year, and I'm starting to believe it's the wrestling.

Hoggmaster

Juniors
Awesome show, most fun Ive had watching a show since the first Dragon Gate PPV. I've been watching New Japan alot the past couple of months, all shows are available on the Chinese version of youtube here, which means I can avoid VPN issues. Its VERY easy to follow, the booking is logical and I love the characters and workers. Bloody good fun!

Got a youku link?