What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No incentives

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Why is that the QRL do not send rep sides overseas....or even interstate??

In NZ there is an incentive for the Bartercard players to play consistently with an end of season tour overseas....this year it is to England, where they will play 5 matches including a warm-up game against Great Britain before they play Australia in the Ashes....last year they went to USA and to France....and in previous years they have played the Kangaroos, 108-0, I'm sure you all remember that :oops:

Why is it that the NZRL can do all this for their players and all this on a shoe string budget and the QRL, who would have near on the same amount of cash to play with can't??

Why don't the QRL have the same intuitive as the NZRL?? considering we Kiwis are all so-called dumbf*cks :?

There just seems to be no incentives for those players who are in the bottom sides and those out of contention for the semis....basically they just go through the motions, looking towards next year.

Anyway I thought I would say something, cause the Qld Cup is a good comp, but it just seems to go through the motions and is the same year after year.

Cheers

mud n blood

Juniors
yep.

It's called -

* complacency
* comfort zone
* lack of foresight, vision, or looking outside the square
* resting on their laurels
* limited initiative

plenty of others I could add

fat jabber

Juniors
The QRL hierachy only rises from slumber each year at origin time and to grumble about important issues like test selections, golden points and coaches... etc.....

Nothing else really matters does it?

:roll: :?: :roll: :?: :roll: :?: :roll: :?: :roll: :?: :roll: :?: :roll: :?: :roll:

asaint

Juniors
I dont think it would be be possible to afford the executive's current lifestyle & send up & coming players overseas.

Unless of course they could get one of their cronies on as tour manager.

I think the Residents sides have gone to France and Fiji in the early 90's
I'm not sure about NZ but I think there may have been one tour since.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
It would be ideal to have a non-NRL Australian side selected to play matches against the emerging nations.

There would be the a reward and incentive for players in the Qld Cup/NSW Comps/Country to reach a further level past the annual Residents game.

It would also provide realistic opposition for the less developed nations - there is little point in Russia or Fiji getting a 70 - 0 flogging by a full strength Australian side.

mud n blood

Juniors
That's what I reckon, too. Play it as a curtain-raiser to a Aus-NZ or Aus-GB test.

And no - they were Qld Residents tours.

In 1994, we picked an Australian Residents side, but lost to NZ Residents 39-28.

They should have had the following curtain raisers at this year's test in Sydney:

Aus v NZ Residents
Junior Kangaroos v Kiwis (U19's)

The Partisan

At the very least, Qld should have an annual game v New Zealand Residents. Seems a bit of a waste to only have one rep game per year for the guys.

If the opposition was to be an emerging nations team I would opt for the game to be against the Qld Rangers - at least for the first few years as I think a full strength residents team would still be far too strong.