What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Man's Sky

McLovin

Staff member
What are people's thoughts on this title?

Seems very ambitious having a game with infinite planets/solar systems to explore. Also seems like it could get tired and boring very quickly (land on a planet, explore, take off, repeat).

Misanthrope

Staff member
I can't wait to try it out. If it's a success, I'd love to see the same kind of procedural world generation adapted and improved upon for upcoming RPG titles.

Can you imagine an Elder Scrolls game that could be procedurally generated? Or an RPG with an infinitely exploreable world?

Pommy

Coach
I'm waiting on reviews. It interests me a lot but I'm just not sure there's enough meaningful content in it.

Pommy

Coach
Anyone else notice this has been delayed until 10th August? I ended up pre ordering as the more I saw of it the less likely it was I wasn't going to get it day 1.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
still hyped for this despite all the backlash

day one patch looks to add quite a lot by the looks of it

There was a game like this that came out about 10 years ago. Forget what it was called but it had hundreds of thousands of planets to colonise. The concept was awesome, the game got boring as hell really quick just like this game will.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's a starting point. I can see this concept being expanded on in a multiplayer style game at some point in the future. Would be cool to land on a planet to find its already been colonised by someone else.

As for this game, not really my thing. Did some work on an indie game a few years back (more of an old school fantasy style game) that used a similar procedurally generated infinite world. I can understand the appeal for some but it will drag for a lot of other people.

Parra Pride

Coach
This game has already held my attention longer than the Witcher 3 did, so that's something. Sunk at least ten hours into it now, will be interesting to see how much longer it can hold me.

Frankus

Juniors
It's a starting point. I can see this concept being expanded on in a multiplayer style game at some point in the future. Would be cool to land on a planet to find its already been colonised by someone else.

As for this game, not really my thing. Did some work on an indie game a few years back (more of an old school fantasy style game) that used a similar procedurally generated infinite world. I can understand the appeal for some but it will drag for a lot of other people.
Yeah. I played it for about 3 hours and by that time it had lost my interest. Too much of a grind for me to bother with.

Pommy

Coach
Had the game on pre order which had a free ship as the bonus. Redeemed the ship when I got in from work at around midnight didn't read what it said and discarded everything in my hold. There were some expletives being shouted at that point I can assure you.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
such a frustrating game
so much potential squandered
hopefully it gets patched to the hilt and becomes a better game

for 50% you are playing a great game
the other 50% you are in the inventory screen

Last Week

Bench
such a frustrating game
so much potential squandered
hopefully it gets patched to the hilt and becomes a better game

for 50% you are playing a great game
the other 50% you are in the inventory screen

Yeah I'm the same. I'm done with it. Not enough depth at all to it. It's an advanced version of minecraft basically.

It's a great concept, but what's the point?

Bring on Madden17.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think you just need more to do in the game. I think actually being able to build things on planets would be good.

perverse

Referee
Still having a great time with it... probably about 20 or 30 hours in now. Got a pretty sweet ship.. money isn't much of an issue anymore... really struggling with the space combat on PC, though. I've had no luck getting any shield upgrades for my ships so far... so if I get ambushed while I'm mid-warp, and I'm nowhere near a planet or station... I'm pretty much a sitting duck for a force of any more than 2 or 3 ships. The ship control is pretty obviously ported from console - it feels like it would be better with a controller.

Great game, but it's a niche product. It's an explore/collect game, if that's not your dig then you're not really going to enjoy it, and I can see why you'd want more. It's a more laid back game for the survival crowd... a crowd that I'm very much a part of.

I doubt they will implement base building, there's just no reason to do it in-game. The game is geared around planets being largely disposable... once you've left a system, you rarely (if ever) go back to it.

Where this game will really shine is in VR. This is the PERFECT VR game... I'm surprised it didn't come with rift/vive support on release.

Latest posts