What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No money to upgrade marathon

roopy

Referee
I don't know why I am even mentioning it, but the federal government has offically pulled the pin on the promised 22 million for half the upgrade to marathon stadium. The other half of the money (from the state gov.) was conditional of the federal gov. coughing up.
The mayor of Newcastle, ald Tate, pointed out in the paper today that 22 mill. is 0.6% of the tax money collected in the Hunter each year, or $52 dollars from each taxpayer ($1 dollar per week).

Anyway, it just shows that the federal government has contempt for the game of Rugby League. They have spent hundreds of millions upgradeing AFL grounds in recent seasons.

~bedsy~

First Grade
uumm last time I checked Gosford wasn't for AFL and neither is the Instiute of Sport in Canberra.
It was obvious to me the first time he pulled out that he would never hand over the money. It was no suprise to see it today either.

kaon

Juniors
Even though Newcastle is inhabited by ferals, it is a major city and they deserve much better than the piece of shit they have at the moment. I'd even suggest that both Labour and Liberal have neglected the region in the past 20 years.

All the more reason to get rid of the popularity contests every 3/4 years.

midas

Juniors
roopy
Hundreds of millions upgrading AFL grounds?Don,t think so.Be more specific.
Newcastle certainly deserve better treatment.If the State Government were half fair dinkum ,they would cough up their half anyway and at least you could get half the job done.

roopy

Referee
midas said:
roopy
Hundreds of millions upgrading AFL grounds?Don,t think so.Be more specific.
Newcastle certainly deserve better treatment.If the State Government were half fair dinkum ,they would cough up their half anyway and at least you could get half the job done.

Colonial stadium and MCG upgrade = hundreds of millions
I know they are used for other sports as well, but marathon is also the biggest attendance soccer ground in NSW.

midas

Juniors
Colonial stadium was entirely a Victorian govt project -MCG got Federal govt. funding as it is the venue for the 2006 Commonwealth games.
I,m not in the business of apologising for the Federal Govt but the State govt with all their gambling taxes didn,t hesitate to plough tens of millions into Northpower at Gosford to secure the seat for Belinda Neill-maybe the Newcastle seats are too safe.
Anyway your No.1 target should be the State Govt.

~bedsy~

First Grade
midas said:
Colonial stadium was entirely a Victorian govt project -MCG got Federal govt. funding as it is the venue for the 2006 Commonwealth games.
I,m not in the business of apologising for the Federal Govt but the State govt with all their gambling taxes didn,t hesitate to plough tens of millions into Northpower at Gosford to secure the seat for Belinda Neill-maybe the Newcastle seats are too safe.
Anyway your No.1 target should be the State Govt.
The State Government has already put their share into the Stadium. They did that as part of a deal with little Johnny, but of course he never kept his promise and didn't hand over the money.
The federal Government put in the money for Northpower.

midas

Juniors
bedsy
I am happy to be proven wrong but I was under the distinct impression that the State Govt funded Northpower.
You say the State has put in it,s share for Newcastle,roopy says they haven,t.

midas

Juniors
Did some checking,Northpower was jointly funded by State and Feds.
My mistake.
anyway if the State kick in 20 mill as they promised,you can get half the job done.

~bedsy~

First Grade
midas said:
Did some checking,Northpower was jointly funded by State and Feds.
My mistake.
anyway if the State kick in 20 mill as they promised,you can get half the job done.
The State gave us 22.4mill I think, we have it in the bank and it is getting interest on it, but it's not enough. They were planning on starting half of it in the off season this yr and next.... they will be doing a stand at a time, I'm pretty sure they will leave the grandstand for the minute and start the eastern and southern hills.

midas

Juniors
according to roopy,s original post,the State money was conditional on the Feds coughing up.However if you have the money then at least you can get started on the work and who knows ,the other 22 mill could be an election sweetener in 12-18 months time.
The State could afford to kick in some more as they are ripping 3-4 billion out of homebuyers in stamp duty plus getting their share of about 10 billion in gambling revenue.There has never been a State govt with so much cash.

legend

Coach
I thought the AFL owned Colonial Stadium/ Telstra Dome in Melbourne?

Onto Energy Australia Stadium (if you can call it a stadium).

Newcastle is a safe Labor area and for the Howard govt to throw 22 million away on something they will never get a return on does not make good political sense and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about.

Might need a few chook raffles up Broadmeadow way. :lol:

~bedsy~

First Grade
midas said:
according to roopy,s original post,the State money was conditional on the Feds coughing up.However if you have the money then at least you can get started on the work and who knows ,the other 22 mill could be an election sweetener in 12-18 months time.
The State could afford to kick in some more as they are ripping 3-4 billion out of homebuyers in stamp duty plus getting their share of about 10 billion in gambling revenue.There has never been a State govt with so much cash.
Yeah, nah we have the state money, it was in the papers and news last yr, Bob Carr handing over the big novelty cheque to Knights CEO, Joey and Hagan. It's in the bank right now.
To answer you Legend, I thought that Little Johnny handing over the money would have been a smart move... as to sway the voters to vote liberal as he gave Newcastle the money to upgrade a major sporting facility in the Hunter.

legend

Coach
Short term it's probably smart but the Libs would need a massive swing to take the swamplands of the Hunter and 22 million for a sporting complex probably isn't enough to get them across the line.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it. Newcastle is blue ribbon Labor and no matter which buffoon they have in charge, they will never lose the seats up your way. :lol:

midas

Juniors
I,m afraid that,s the truth of the matter,legend.Labor could stand Osama Bin Laden as a candidate up there and still romp in.Only way to get the gravy is to live in a marginal seat.I live in one of the safest Liberal seats in the country and the Libs take us for granted and Labor have given up and ignore us.And the stupid bastards insist I vote-why?