What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No NRL TV deal for the UK

They wont show the NRL on Sky, because then no one would bother watching the
Super League. It's a freaking joke.

It's that bad that Shane Tronc scored 2 tries on the weekend.

WireMan

Bench

Or very few people who don't subscribe at the moment would suddenly buy Sky because they have the rights to a sport played at silly times that hardly anyone knows and cares much about?

It looks to me that NRL has over valued itself.

As for the bashing of super league? Pointless.

Super league rates very well on sky, second only to premier league football. The NRL on the other hand used to get next to no viewers the last time it was on sky, thats why sky and the other T.V companies have zero intrest in the NRL.

Next time get your facts right, wanker!

feeding frenzy

Juniors
On the Latest NRL release they advised omnisport Tv will be broadcasting the games live for a fee. I cant find anything on there website in regards to this yes its only tuesday but you would of thought they would be advertising they are going to be showing the games they have the AFL up. f**king joke.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Super league rates very well on sky, second only to premier league football. The NRL on the other hand used to get next to no viewers the last time it was on sky, thats why sky and the other T.V companies have zero intrest in the NRL.

Next time get your facts right, wanker!
I thought the NRL got 20000-40000 on Sky and rated the same as the Super 12's(at the time)and more then the Currie Cup and NPC.

Canard

Immortal
I thought the NRL got 20000-40000 on Sky and rated the same as the Super 12's(at the time)and more then the Currie Cup and NPC.

Ive never seen any stats, but because NRL was shown live at 8.30am on Saturday's and 4am on Sunday mornings you would have to be a criminally insane tv exec if you expected "big" ratings from it.

Hindyscrack

Bench
On the Latest NRL release they advised omnisport Tv will be broadcasting the games live for a fee. I cant find anything on there website in regards to this yes its only tuesday but you would of thought they would be advertising they are going to be showing the games they have the AFL up. f**king joke.

Omnisport provided me with great feeds in europe prior to espn picking up the final two weeks.

Much better the Aussport tv

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

Few years ago, I seen the NRL make the top 10 with just over 50k on the Barb site.

I think it was sky 3 or something.

Never seen the local Union make it though.

Hindyscrack

Bench
I am sure the numbers on SKY would increase with hype surrounding the competition now.

Just noticed omnisport is $5.95 per game according to the NRL. Quite steep considering you can get football passes for $10 a month or $75 for a season!

Evil Homer

Staff member

Yeah, compared to the NRL which is so good that you have blokes like Scott Logan, Ryan Tandy and Josh Cordoba still running around :lol:

ali

Bench
It's annoying. I've got Sky, but at the moment I'm not bothering with Sky Sports. If they had the NRL, I would add it.

I watched the Cronulla game on a really good illegal stream last week. There was nearly 1000 people watching this thing, so the interest is certainly out there.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Skys lost my money and i would only pay for it if it had 2 NRL games on but since there is no NRL then i not fussed about missing the SL/HEC cup.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...oses-in-war-of-the-screens-20100318-qihp.html

Offshore fans forced to fire up their PCs as league loses in war of the screens
ROY MASTERS
March 19, 2010

When Channel Nine's Ray Warren welcomed UK and USA ''viewers'' to last Friday night's opening NRL match between the Eels and Dragons, he was using the word ''viewer'' liberally.

Perhaps ''Rabbits'' meant fans watching the game via the web, because that was the only way they could see it.

He was probably referring to an NRL media release which trumpeted that Telstra Big Pond was providing free live streaming of NRL round one matches into the UK, Canada, USA, South Africa and Europe.

Fans will pay $US5.95 ($6.45) per match to watch round two games on their computer screens, although the NRL has subsequently finalised a deal with TV network America One to show one game a week on TV.

NRL chief operations officer Graham Annesley says: ''America One also shows the English Super League and fans will see one NRL game a week, although the remaining seven NRL games will be available only via online screening on Big Pond.''

AFL and Super 14 rugby are the beneficiaries in the UK as the NRL vacates the big screen. BSkyB now shows Super 14 on weekend mornings, when NRL was once televised, while ESPN screens wall-to-wall AFL.

NRL was once telecast on BSkyB but the Rupert Murdoch-owned cable network ditched it when forced to pay more for English Premier League soccer matches.

''They said they didn't have the budget for NRL,'' Annesley said. ''We're in negotiations now with BSkyB and ESPN to get NRL back on in the UK but no deal has been done. It will be only one game a week, with the remainder available on Telstra Big Bond. We're hopeful we can get it back on BSkyB.''

BSkyB's vacillation comes as News Ltd is seeking a five-year extension to its ownership of first and last rights to televise NRL matches. The existing rights expire in 2022 but News is demanding an extension to 2027 as a condition of its exit from part ownership of the NRL.

It is not showing any favours to rugby league with its international coverage of the game.

In addition to News Ltd and BSkyB, parent News Corp also owns the Fox network in the US which, according to NRL chief executive David Gallop, ''is not prepared to pay the fee we ask''.

Nor can Fox Sports in Australia, also half owned by News Ltd, reach an agreement with Nine to show Friday night matches live into Melbourne.

Nine, defying an agreement to show NRL matches before midnight, continually televises the double-header at hours when only insomniacs and shift workers are awake.

Yet Foxtel shows AFL games live in the northern states on Friday nights.

The News Ltd-owned Melbourne Storm, after four consecutive grand finals, cannot build a fan base in Victoria via live pay-TV coverage of the match of the round, or free-to-air TV in prime time, yet it is helping AFL's push into what it calls ''the developing states.''

In 40 years, the codes have swapped places. As league historian Sean Fagan points out, the 1967 Sydney grand final was shown live in Melbourne, 10 years before the first VFL grand final was screened live.

Fagan says: ''The screening of Winfield Cup matches from the late 1980s into New Zealand did lead to significant growth in jersey sales of NSWRL clubs and the eventual entry of the Warriors.''

I recall visiting South Africa a year before the Mandela government came to power and hearing a Springbok, referring to the NSWRL coverage, say that ''The Winfield Cup is killing rugby in this country''.

We have discarded the antiquated term NSWRL and have stubbed out tobacco sponsorship, but South African fans can see rugby league only by securing internet access.

Telstra sponsors the NRL and we recognise the day might come when we watch the majority of our sport online, although international viewers protest rugby league is fast-forwarding them too soon into the new electronic age.

Free-to-air TV will have a long tail, just like AM radio.

Gallop says: ''We've tried to do a deal internationally with TV but it hasn't come to fruition and we've had to take the internet option. Our priority is to get it on TV.'' Declaring he would prefer to have ''viewers'' than ''subscribers'', he said: ''TV is still the goose that laid the golden egg and it is very much our priority.''

Noa

First Grade
Comforting to know that they know that we know they're a bunch of incompetent fools.

bazza

Referee
It's annoying. I've got Sky, but at the moment I'm not bothering with Sky Sports. If they had the NRL, I would add it.

I watched the Cronulla game on a really good illegal stream last week. There was nearly 1000 people watching this thing, so the interest is certainly out there.
Are you still able to watch NRL in pubs in London?

seanoff

Juniors
In addition to News Ltd and BSkyB, parent News Corp also owns the Fox network in the US which, according to NRL chief executive David Gallop, ''is not prepared to pay the fee we ask''.

Maybe David, you are asking too much!! :crazy:

Latest posts