What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No place for this in our game

Springs

First Grade
I never said any of this shite when i was a kid playing league, nor did i hear this crap.
Stop sticking up for these fowl-mouthed pricks with ears and start defending the game , not muppets that yell out c___ts and gay on the field.

f**king hell, where did they crawl outta of, a gutter at a caravan park.
School the c___ts.

A kid? Did you ever actually play as an adult? Cause if not you're kinda irrelevant.

Who cares, everyone gets called all sorts of things on the footy field by their own teammates, let alone the opposition.

Ulysseus

Bench
This is seriously a massive issue? :?

Ask Bateman how he feels and move along. Chances are he's probably already forgotten about it.
Who hasn't called someone else gay in their lifetime? If he's actually gay and the remark was meant to be a serious jab at that, then there is an issue. Otherwise, who the f**k cares

Agree.
Everyone is so f**king precious these days.
Its an insult, he said it to try unsettle the opposition, he probably doesn't even know what team Bateman bats for.

Any punishment will be a token gesture. NRL didn't do anything to Farah the other year when he called Cameron Smith a "f**king androtrop" in front of the ref and clearly audible on tv - probs because it wasn't spoken about by the media.

Referees must hear it all the time but you never hear of players being punished for what they said.

NRL is a joke organisation.

Plus this is a dangerous road to go down because players could end up being banned for abusing mormons, catholics, muslims etc, even though thats fair game and religious facism should be tackled head on, people like Hannant for example need reminding that they're merkins

Matchball

Bench
My mother used to say don't use the c word because C's are useful.
Call them something that's useless.

Chook

First Grade
Queensland lock Luke Bateman suffers homophobic slur in NSW?s U20s State of Origin victory

THE NRL will launch an investigation after Queensland lock Luke Bateman suffered a homophobic slur in a drama-charged finale to NSW?s thumping 30-8 under-20s Origin win.

The Baby Blues? third straight under-20s Origin victory was marred by a NSW player calling Bateman a ?f***ing gay c***? in a spirited affair at Penrith?s Sportingbet Stadium.

The incident occurred in the 74th minute, with Bateman abused by a Blues opponent after pushing a NSW teammate as a scrum was about to pack.

Referee Chris Sutton immediately looked at the NSW player in question, suggesting he heard the offensive remark.

The comment was clearly audible on Fox Sports? live coverage of the code?s premier junior representative fixture and the NRL will move to identify the offender

Rugby league is an inclusive sport and any form of vilification is unacceptable,? an NRL spokesman said.

?We will work with both the state leagues to investigate the matter and take appropriate action.?

NRL powerbrokers have previously adopted a hardline stance on racial slurs fired at former stars Dean Widders and Petero Civoniceva.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...f-origin-victory/story-fni3fqyo-1226904424159

"HA, androtops!" - Eric Cartman.

Chook.

MrAnonymous

Bench
If he isn't a poo jaber what's the problem?

This is normal conversation on most football fields around Australia.

f**king soft merkins these days, anything for a story.

Frederick

Staff member
"HA, androtops!" - Eric Cartman.

Chook.

Maybe we should send the player in question here?
DeathCampofTolerance11.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
What part of using that as a put down is offensive do you not understand?

In the modern day professionalism and PR is vital. Perception is reality. Sponsors and the like will run away screaming if homophobia is tolerated.

Using 'gay' as an insult is homophobia, plain and simple.

It's unacceptable in every sense, regardless of whether he is gay or not. If you can't see that, then I pity you.

I pity people like this who view the word gay as an insult. So insular and homophobic. It's sad.

I pity people like this who view the word gay as an insult. So insular and homophobic. It's sad.

I don't think its appropriate to use the term as an insult, and to be honest I'm surprised how prevalent its usage is (particularly from the younger generation) given how "main stream" being homosexual seems to have become.

But of course alot of it is about context:

"You're gay!" is just lazy use of language and is unfortunately used by the younger generation, usually without any sort of malice.

"f**king Gay merkin" is vitriolic and nothing other than a narrow minded slur that seeks to denigrate a section of our community.

What about:
"He's black", v's "He's a f**king black merkin". Nah, no insult there.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I reckon they should ban swearing, from NRL down to juniors...

There is just an unsavoury culture building up in RL. The refs wouldnt need to enforce it every since time but just a few players made examples of early in games. (Also id like to see the junior comps put limits on what parents can yell; if theyre swearing they can be removed from the sideline, ect)

Also they should stop broadcasting the refs mics live on TV. Sure, keep them and put them on players as well but only use the content in docos and videos that have been edited. Live broadcasts of players yelling and swearing at refs is a terrible message to send.

I reckon they should ban swearing, from NRL down to juniors...

There is just an unsavoury culture building up in RL. The refs wouldnt need to enforce it every since time but just a few players made examples of early in games. (Also id like to see the junior comps put limits on what parents can yell; if theyre swearing they can be removed from the sideline, ect)

Also they should stop broadcasting the refs mics live on TV. Sure, keep them and put them on players as well but only use the content in docos and videos that have been edited. Live broadcasts of players yelling and swearing at refs is a terrible message to send.

I can't see them going that far, but it's probably no different from the "no punching" rule. I don't think anyone thought it would eliminate fights as quickly as it has, but its worked. Penalizing swearing would probably see an end to that pretty quickly as well. The old "audible obscenity" rule seems to have pretty much worked for tennis.

In terms of junior games, the last couple I've attended have really shocked me, and I'm with you Doctor in terms of having people removed from the sidelines. The carry on from some sections of the crowd is just terrible. And the abuse the refs (often a junior player himself) is worse than you see/hear at the NRL. I just don't know how people think that its acceptable to abuse someone like that, let alone in front of your own, and lots of other, kids.

Last edited:

Latest posts