What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Time To Die release pushed seven months.

Timbo

Staff member
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...020/mar/04/james-bond-no-time-to-die-november

I think we’re going to see this happening with a lot of big budget films that are coming up. People can’t or won’t go to the movies in China at the moment and anything with a $100m+ budget is relying on the Chinese box office to make a decent profit. I’m looking at you, MCU.

I started rewatching the entire Bond franchise from Dr No at a rate of about one a week almost five months ago in anticipation. I just watched The World Is Not Enough. I only had five to go and the excitement was building.

Very sad now. God damn bat soup.

nöyd

Staff member
* hopes Top Gun and Ghostbusters are not popular in China.

Timbo

Staff member
A Quiet Place II has been pushed indefinitely and Fast and Furious 9 a full year.

Here we go...

Zoidberg

First Grade
Mulan, New Mutants pushed back until who knows when. Looks like I’ll be catching up on my “to watch” list this winter.

Video game industry and streaming services will get a big bump in the coming months I think.

Timbo

Staff member
Mulan, New Mutants pushed back until who knows when. Looks like I’ll be catching up on my “to watch” list this winter.

Video game industry and streaming services will get a big bump in the coming months I think.

That one is hardly surprising though given it was originally supposed to be released on Betamax in 1982.

Pugzley

This whole thread:

UnhealthySmoothCondor-small.gif

Coronavirus can eat a dick.

Timbo

Staff member
It’s been pushed another six months, and was the only remaining big budget film that hadn’t been pushed to 2021 yet.

There are a chain of cinemas in the UK that have announced they’re closing with this news, as this was their last shot at making any ground back this year.

I really hope that this isn’t spelling the end of going to the theatre as we know it.

Danish

Referee
It’s been pushed another six months, and was the only remaining big budget film that hadn’t been pushed to 2021 yet.

There are a chain of cinemas in the UK that have announced they’re closing with this news, as this was their last shot at making any ground back this year.

I really hope that this isn’t spelling the end of going to the theatre as we know it.

Given how f**king horrid movies released on streaming services have performed, I can't see movie theatres going away anytime soon.

The owners of a lot of them will undoubtedly go to the wall though, which f**king sucks. Especially if the big studios swoop in and wind up buying them up on the cheap. Either way though theatres will continue to exist once all this crap is over.

Timbo

Staff member
Given how f**king horrid movies released on streaming services have performed, I can't see movie theatres going away anytime soon.

The owners of a lot of them will undoubtedly go to the wall though, which f**king sucks. Especially if the big studios swoop in and wind up buying them up on the cheap. Either way though theatres will continue to exist once all this crap is over.

I’m not so sure - everyone hasn’t pointed to Mulan as an example of why it won’t work, but that also ignores the fact that Mulan really wasn’t very good either. But at the same time, I don’t really see a future for movies whose studios slug you an extra $30 on top of your subscription either.

I think the fact that Tenet made only half what they thought it would make has also scared the shit out of studios. There are currently a bunch of $100m+ movies sitting on a shelf that studios literally cannot afford to release because they need to make three times their money in the cinema for the studio to just break even.

Where does this leave movies going forward if there’s no vaccine found? Will big budget, Avengers style movies be financially viable anymore if people are too afraid to go and see them?

Danish

Referee
I’m not so sure - everyone hasn’t pointed to Mulan as an example of why it won’t work, but that also ignores the fact that Mulan really wasn’t very good either. But at the same time, I don’t really see a future for movies whose studios slug you an extra $30 on top of your subscription either.

I think the fact that Tenet made only half what they thought it would make has also scared the shit out of studios. There are currently a bunch of $100m+ movies sitting on a shelf that studios literally cannot afford to release because they need to make three times their money in the cinema for the studio to just break even.

Where does this leave movies going forward if there’s no vaccine found? Will big budget, Avengers style movies be financially viable anymore if people are too afraid to go and see them?

Yeah, but even shitty Disney hack movies dining out of good IP like the Lion King, Captain Marvel, Last Jedi etc and I get shlock used to make $700m-1b when released in theatres.

the great blockbusters would double that.

people will be dying to return to theatres in a year or 2. This virus isn’t going to last forever

shiznit

Coach

That’s EXACTLY what i reckons going to happen... the big studios are going to cut out the middle man and start having their own cinema’s. That way they can dictate things like the theatrical window they seem to be forever fighting with theatre owners about making smaller and smaller.

I actually read somewhere that the US recently passed legislation giving Studios the right to own cinema’s so it looks like it’s starting to line up that way.

IMO i actually think in the next 12-24 months where cinemas will be limited i think streaming will be the key... But not entirely in the way Disney released Mulan. I don’t think a one off amount of $30-40 will fly with most savvy consumers.

If i were Disney and were making decisions on MCU content over this period I’d build it through the Disney+ original tv series released over 8 weeks... so like Wandavision... it will be an 8 week series which at the end of it will build into Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

And then have the feature film available for a one off cost of about $10-20.

I actually saw some speculation that may already be kinda happening which is why Falcon and Winter Soldier which was originally supposed to get released first got moved behind Wandavision as Black Widow ties into it but as Black Widow keeps getting pushed back it’s pushing that series back too...

Timbo

Staff member
Anyone who’s interested - Hoyts are rotating a lot of classic Bond movies at the minute. I went and saw The Living Daylights on Saturday, it was pretty cool seeing it on the big screen.

Wizardman

First Grade
MGM tried selling this to streaming services but none of them wanted to pay US$600m https://variety.com/2020/film/news/james-bond-no-time-to-die-netflix-apple-1234814809/

Coronavirus accelerating the decline of cinemas is a positive far as I'm concerned.

That is an absolute dick thing to say on a whole range of levels that I won't get into here.

I don't care how good your home theatre system is. It will simply not match the experience of seeing it at the cinemas in any way, shape or form.

I do concede that some cinema chains charge way too much to see a movie plus hiked up cinema food. Im lucky that I have a cinema close by that charges very reasonable rates for tickets.....even the cinema food prices are very reasonable. Before covid, this cinema did very, very well in terms of crowds....not sure since it as I have not been.

Styles clash

Juniors
That is an absolute dick thing to say on a whole range of levels

False.

Last movie I saw in a cinema was Avengers: Endgame. I haven't missed sitting through 20-25 minutes of ads, people playing on their phones, talking when the explosions are over.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
False.

Last movie I saw in a cinema was Avengers: Endgame. I haven't missed sitting through 20-25 minutes of ads, people playing on their phones, talking when the explosions are over.
So all of cinema should go under because you don't have the wherewithal to wait until the movie starts before entering the theatre?

There's maybe one movie a year when I have to tell people near me to shut up or put their phones away. You must have extremely bad movie luck.

Latest posts