What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Tri Nations in 2005, but France to tour Aust.

By Brent Read
LEEDS, England, Nov 23 AAP - The International Rugby League Federation delayed a decision on the future of the Tri Nations tournament today as it emerged Australia could host Great Britain and France as early as next season.
IRLF chairman Colin Love announced the federation would wait until this year's Tri Nations was complete before deciding whether to play the tournament again in 2005.
However, it's likely the IRLF will heed the wishes of the Australian players and defer the next Tri Nations until 2006.
In its place, Great Britain and France are in line to tour the southern hemisphere next season.
It's been more than 10 years since Great Britain last played multiple Tests in Australia while France's previous visit was in 1994.
"The executive won't be meeting again until early next year but obviously we'll be making a decision before then on the timing and location on the next Tri Nations," IRLF chairman Colin Love said today.
"The future of the tournament is assured."
However, Love indicated the Australian Rugby League could host France in 2005 - a pointer towards the Kangaroos staying at home next season.
Australia would be unlikely to host Les Chanticleers and then fly to England for a Tri Nations tournament.
"There will be some international football (in 2005)," Love said.
"France want to come out to Australian and play. We're exploring the possibility of them coming ... next year."
The international board's deferral of a decision on the Tri Nations came as Kangaroos coach Wayne Bennett once again hailed the success of the tournament.
Bennett compared the interest generated by the Tri Nations to that enjoyed by State of Origin when it was kicked off in 1980.
"It's difficult for them," Bennett said of the international federation.
"There's players that are tired, have played a lot of football and you have a concept that's brained them from day one.
"State of Origin never started like this. They were only game to play one game the first time they ever played State of Origin and it all grew from there.
"There's a little bit of a dilemma getting the balance right so the players can have an off-season somewhere in the near future."
And Bennett called on the British players to go public with their thoughts on the tournament's future.
"We hear a lot about the Australian players, can someone tell me what the English players feel," Bennett said.
"They have been playing these series every year for the last three or four years that we have played as well. They obviously have a point of view.
"They play as much football as we play so there's a bit more than just Australia involved in this."
It's understood the Great Britain players are champing at the bit to return to Australia.
Their last visit ended in disaster - they were beaten 64-10 in Sydney in a one-off Test match in 2002 - but their performance in the Tri Nations has reinvigorated the game at international level.
"The players are terrific - they love playing for their country and they love playing alongside the best players in the game and against the best players in the game," Love said.
"At the end of the day we have spoken to them, we will take their views into consideration, but at the end of the day those issues will be decided by the international federation...and I'm sure they'll go along with whatever we do.
"It's terrific the euphoria that's around at the moment because of the success of the tournament. We'd love to be able to ride that wave."

miccle

Bench
Well Suncorp has officially got the hosting job for the Anzac test, so I would now assume every international on Aussie soil for the next 6 years will be played in Sydney or Newcastle.

carlnz

Bench
What about the Kiwis?? sure this would be great for France but if they get flogged by 80 points.... #-o

Why not have Aust V GB in three test series.
Then Aust V Fra, Fra V NZ, Aust V NZ, NZ V GB, GB V Fra???

Then there's fieb games for Aust, five for GB, three for Fra and three for NZ??

carlnz

Bench
I heard from a Tongan offical that they are looking to do a FULL tour to NZ next year...fingers crossed

France was last here in 2001

dimitri

First Grade
GB series plus matches against the french???

why not just have another tri series with some french matches as well>????

griff

Bench
How is a Lions Tour meaningless one-off matches?

Lucky no-one told that to the 6,000 British fans that came down here for the last classic 3 test Ashes series in 1992 or the millions that watched on TV (which were among the highest rating programs EVER in Sydney and Brisbane, up there with the Royal Wedding, the Final Episode of MASH and the Sydney Olympics).

hgfds

Juniors
The article says nothing about france playing a test match at the most they would be very lucky to get one test against australia [the french tour is being used to direct criticism away from the arl],but this could be great news for png who could perhaps get two tests against the french.If the aussies play an ashes series it will only be 3 tests for them compared to the 6 they played this year.GB may play 2 games against nz and 1 against png[hopefully].

Special K

Coach
If there isn't going to be a tri nations next year I'll be happy with a French and English tour. We need to get these sides used to playing in Australia as thats where the World Cup will be. I like the Tri Nations but this is better then nothing at all and will improve the international sides.

Strong internationals at good times in Australia can help the game grow in places like Melbourne.

Have the French play warm up tests against GB before they come over, then PNG and NZ and the same with the poms.

I'd go to Aus vs France and GB if they were in NSW. But they should be spread out around the league states before we put it in WA for example.

screeny

Bench
dimitri said:
GB series plus matches against the french???

why not just have another tri series with some french matches as well>????

Exactly!! This is incredible! Fair enough, no one's going to complain about a Lions tour but with the Tri Nations concept such a roaring success why the hell have these idiots not just said "we're playing Tri Series 2005 Down Under' and be done with it.

Incredible, absolutely incredible. Tinkering for tinkering's sake.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Whats the point of these one off tests??

But as long we have a few internationals in Australia next year. I mean there's been 4 internationals in Australia since 2000, and thats really disappointing. I thought we're supposed to have a Tri-Series next year, but because of these excuses from players we're not gonna have it. It's been a success hasnt it. :x

I'd like to see GB and France tour next year, as long as they play in a series, not one off tests. It's good for France though since their season doesnt go parallel to ours. As for GB, if we wanna try and prevent blowouts then they should play a warm up game before the test, same with France.

Australia needs to host more internationals. There's plenty of venues for a test match:

Aussie Stadium, Suncorp, Newcastle, Canberra, Olympic Park, Townsville.

C'mon IRL make up your mind.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think this is agreat idea having France come here, I have hopes for France as a Rugby League nation (not all that likely I know). I would be great having them face England with their nationalistic rivalry

Tidus_Raider

Bench
griff said:
How is a Lions Tour meaningless one-off matches?

Lucky no-one told that to the 6,000 British fans that came down here for the last classic 3 test Ashes series in 1992 or the millions that watched on TV (which were among the highest rating programs EVER in Sydney and Brisbane, up there with the Royal Wedding, the Final Episode of MASH and the Sydney Olympics).

What are they playing for? The Ashes? How does this benefit NZ? The unofficial second ranked team in International RL. How does France benefit from playing one-off matches? They need to be exposed to an elite level on a consistent basis. If GB are coming all the way for a tour why not just have a Tr-series co-hosted in Australia and NZ.

I presume it will be a best of 3 series matches or at the very least 2 with some lead up games. Why not just include NZ and have the series again. Include France and PNG in some warm up games. Heck get Lebanon and Russia to play in some curtain raisers against some local sides. I'm thinking both these teams will be available.

Tours are great but when there is only 3, almost 4 top tier teams playing the game at an elite level then tying two teams yp on a tour is pointless.

ali

Bench
Surely if France tour it will be after their season has finnished and hence mid season here. So you will see a mid season test against France and maybe they can play NZ mid season also. I wonder when the Warriors have a bye? That would be a good weekend.

Hopefully we'll still get the Tri Nations at seasons end.

Nook

Bench
Tours are great but when there is only 3, almost 4 top tier teams playing the game at an elite level then tying two teams yp on a tour is pointless.

I disagree.

Tours have a role to play - preserving tradtions such as the Ashes is crucial to the future of international league. In addition, the tour format provides an opportunity for nations to have a year off, with limited internationals.

We can't expect our players to play anywhere up to 9 international matches each year, ontop of an already long club season. Thats not to say that they should whinge about it - the current situation is a joke, the Tri Nations should be a certainty for next year. But the tour format takes the constant pressure off the international teams.

Ollee

Juniors
Maybee we should interpret it this way. The ARL are nervous about Australia hosting Fixtures at the end of the regular NRL season. This may be an effort to test the water and see if the Australian public respond and come out in good numbers to watch France and GB. I think a Lions tour would be fantastic and I would certainly consider travelling interstate to watch the entire series. Can you imagine
the level of interest that would anticipate a Lions tour if GB actually win this years TRI Series? It would or will be something quite unprecedented and I've no doubt big crowds would be filling the venues.

On the prospect of a TRI Series next year......I think we are all living in hope, it won't happen and will be next staged in 2006. Hey if GB tour Australia next year I won't be complaining.

Copa

Bench
A tri-nations is more attractive than a run of the mill tour. Talk about stopping the momentum of the tri-nations.

Inviting France on tour before they are consistent performers could end up a disaster.

I'm waiting for the ARL to ruin everything...

Latest posts