What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Webb, but probably in the mix for Hodgson

Webb's Hodgson impact

By Steve Mascord | May 06, 2008 12:00am

Brent Webb ... the Kiwi's career decisions could have unwitting consequences for Wests Tigers stalwart Brett Hodgson. / The Daily Telegraph

NEW Zealand fullback Brent Webb, who arrived in Sydney last night, could unwittingly extend the NRL career of Wests Tigers stalwart Brett Hodgson.
\Webb, whose release for the Centenary Test was secured by an international federation decree, was greeted by Kiwis' team manager Gordon Gibbons after the long trip from Cardiff.
Highly-placed sources say Leeds will announce after the Test that Webb has agreed to stay in England for at least two more years.
Local clubs that had been chasing him have already switched their interest to Hodgson, who was previously expected to leave for England.
But Webb told the Daily Telegraph: "I wouldn't have a clue. You'd have to talk to my manager about that.''
Agent Jim Banaghan said suggestions Webb had agreed to terms with Leeds were "not true'' . "Two clubs here are interested,'' he said.
"He will be concentrating on the Test but he might run into someone while he's here, you never know.''
He described the former Warriors star's chances of joining an Australasian club as "50-50''.
Webb was whisked from Cardiff, where Leeds played Bradford on Saturday, to London in a limousine at the cost of $1000, accommodated at the Heathrow Ramada Renaissance where he had massages and flew to Sydney via Kuala Lumpur in first class.
"They've tried to make it as easy as possible to feel good once I got here and I do,'' Webb said. "I feel pretty good and I really want to get stuck into my training.''
Webb said the RLIF's hard line on him and Wigan's Thomas Leuluai "set a little bit of a precendent.
"It's great for New Zealand rugby league and international rugby league that it happened. Leeds probably aren't too happy about the whole thing. But after all was said and done, I went with their blessing.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23653851-5006066,00.html

Based on what Newk posted the other day, I would say that we were one of the two clubs in the mix for Webb from here that look to have missed out. Also you can draw down from that, that it is between us and one other for Hodgson. I wonder who the other is? I really hope they end up with him! Would say yes please to Webb but no thankyou to Hodgson. Good footballer but too old IMO.

Yes, but 30 years old and probably wants around 350k a year. The question is - will he still be slicing them up in 2010 while he is still copping 350k for that year?

Speaking of Kiwi's and fullbacks, how long is Hohaia on contract for at the Warriors. He has been doing some slicing there since McKinnon got injured but no matter how well he plays, he will forfeit the fullback spot next year when Wade gets back. Wouldn't mind seeing him in the Red and Green for next year.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Yes, but 30 years old and probably wants around 350k a year. The question is - will he still be slicing them up in 2010 while he is still copping 350k for that year?

I have to agree that he is probably getting a bit too old, despite Dave being right that he is still on top at the moment. If he was 28, then he would be perfect for us.

Dave Q

Coach
He's hard to fault in too many areas to pass up without raising an eyebrow.

He's the real deal, elite.

big ern

Juniors

sorry but this why souths haven't had many good season's since the 80's. They buy the wrong players. They would of been better off keeping Peachey for this season and next than hopefully one of younger would be ready by than, and would be a cheaper option.