What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noddy wants 3 more years

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Lots of media reports yesterday (slow news day no doubt) claiming the 'Dogs weren't sure about Noddy's career past 2010, he's come out today and claimed he'd love to keep playing til he's 36... that's until the end of 2013! :crazy:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...three-more-years/story-e6frfgbo-1225819010976
NRL ironman Brett Kimmorley has declared his willingness to defy retirement for another three seasons - when he'll be 36. Describing last year's campaign as "easy", Kimmorley told The Daily Telegraph his body and mind were in the right shape to continue beyond his 16th season in the top grade.
"At the moment I feel good, I feel like I can keep going," Kimmorley, 33, said.
"Last year was easy. The success we had on the field and the way the club looked after everyone, made it a very enjoyable season.
"I also enjoyed the fact I knew my role, so I felt pretty fresh all year.
"At the moment I'm thinking that if I'm still this happy and excited then I'd love to play on."
Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg and coach Kevin Moore opened discussions about Kimmorley's future with an in-depth meeting with their halfback last month. And the incumbent NSW No. 7 said it was already understood that he won't move to a rival club should a contract extension not be forthcoming.
"If I'm not playing at the Bulldogs, I won't be playing at all," Kimmorley said.
"I'm looking forward to having just as good a year in 2010.
"Hopefully after the next 12 months I'm just as passionate that I'll be able to play football for another one, two or three years.
"I've talked to some players who've recently retired, my family and my manager.
"If I can stay at this level, then I'd be putting my hand up to go around again.
"One of the other main things I wanted to also make clear (to the Bulldogs) is that I'd like to stay involved beyond football. I want to become a coach in some capacity."
The Bulldogs have already responded to Kimmorley's post-football wish, and plan to help him complete his NRL Coaching Certificate II. In the meantime, the veteran has taken an even bigger role in mentoring the club's young halves. He works closely with Toyota Cup playmaker Rhys Jack and also supports the club's bid to sign Daniel Mortimer, who the Bulldogs view as a suitable successor to Kimmorley's No. 7 jersey.
"If we got Daniel, it would be a terrific long-term signing for the club," Kimmorley said.
"I know he's never played at the Bulldogs, but it would mean something for the family name to return.
"It would be wonderful if we could get him on board and I know Kevvy and Todd see him as a long-term No. 7."
This week's return to training has been Kimmorley's first opportunity to practise ballwork since he had surgery on his groin after last September's heart-breaking preliminary final loss to Parramatta.

Ridders

Coach
...And I thought this coming season would be his swan song.

Wouldn't signing him up for 3 years eliminate us from the JT sweepstakes?

Talanexor

Juniors
Ben Barba can't tackle. And couldn't organise his way out of a wet paper bag.

Noddy will be a passenger if you sign him for another 3 years. Maybe just a year at a time would be a smarter move. As long as Ennis and Roberts take a lot of the pressure off him.

Eion

First Grade
This is starting to sound like Noddy's final year at the Sharks. He plays the media when he doesn't like what he hears from management. IMO it seems like Noddy hasn't liked the sounds of his future playing or coaching role at the Dogs post 2010. He's a smart cookie. Watch for the story later in the year about Noddy willing to play for next to nothing if he hasn't secured a coaching job at the Dogs.

Timmah

Staff member
:lol:

Bitter Sharks fans are funny.

Ever think he wanted to get out of your sh*testick of a club?

Eion

First Grade
:lol:

Bitter Sharks fans are funny.

Ever think he wanted to get out of your sh*testick of a club?
You're talking about the same bloke who was publicly stating he was desperate to stay at the Sharks and would take a massive pay cut. Just pointing out some parrallels, but we'll see I suppose.

Timmah

Staff member
Again, it's the Sharks. Completely different club, completely different atmosphere.