What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nolan & Croll sacked

Big Pete

Referee
The Brisbane Broncos Head Of Football, Peter Nolan and Head of Performance Andrew Croll have been released.

There's also reports that Terry Matterson and John Cartwright could lose their jobs.

Corey Parker is reportedly set to be appointed as an assistant coach.

Former Head of Performance Dean Benton is conducting a review on the club.

Big Pete

Referee
It's been long overdue for Nolan.

I'm not going to pretend he's always been awful. There was that period in 2015/16 where the recruitment was actually good and they brought in the likes of Payne Haas, Tevita Pangai Jr, Jamayne Isaako, James Roberts etc. but after the fallout of 2018 his days were numbered.

I don't think I've ever seen such bad recruitment before. Just absolutely no foresight with young forwards being offered long term lucrative contracts and bending over backwards with the player options. At this stage, we're looking at least a million sitting on the sidelines next year because of the deals that were made to Corey Oates and Brodie Croft when neither deserved that security.

There was also a lot of rumours surrounding him and Issac Moses. So if nothing else it should at least make it easier to deal with player agents.

For a quick rundown, Nolan came back to Brisbane in 2014. He had already been with the club prior but was sacked in 2010 after the Broncos missed their first finals series in 19 years. He then went over to Parramatta where he was credited for unearthing Semi Radradra and Manu Ma'u. When Parramatta were caught cheating the cap over a number of years he was indicted for his involvement but nothing more came of it. Nolan's re-appointment was the first sign that Wayne Bennett was set to return since it was Bennett himself who gave Nolan a job as an Assistant Coach of the Toowoomba Clydesdales in 1999 before he worked his way into the head of recruitment.

Andrew Croll first joined the Broncos in 2005 as the Athletic Performance and remained with the club until 2013 when he was replaced by Alex Corvo. Croll would then join the Cowboys where he was a part of their successful 2015 premiership campaign before leaving the club in 2016. He re-joined the Broncos in 2018 as the conditioning coach under Jeremy Hicksman before being promoted in 2020 following the departure of Paul Devlin. I wouldn't say he's responsible for this situation but by the same token I just don't think he has the capacity to get the Broncos where they need to be with their performance.

blaza88z

Coach
I can't believe how many signings we have where the player has an option in their favor..

No wonder Kevvie is treating Oates like shit, he's trying to force his hand.

Nerd

Bench
The removal of Nolan has been called for by members of this and other forums for quite awhile because of his terrible contact or should I say lack of negotiating skills. A step in the right direction and with both White and Nolan no longer around I feel a bit more confident in the long term future of the club. Can't see it will change much for on the field this year unless Nolan was poison inside the club but only an insider would know that.

Good first steps by DD.

League guru

Juniors
The removal of Nolan has been called for by members of this and other forums for quite awhile because of his terrible contact or should I say lack of negotiating skills. A step in the right direction and with both White and Nolan no longer around I feel a bit more confident in the long term future of the club. Can't see it will change much for on the field this year unless Nolan was poison inside the club but only an insider would know that.

Good first steps by DD.
I find it hard to believe that a recruitment officer is the problem. His role is to identify talent and options coming off contract. The length of the contract, the clauses and remuneration would be handled by the board with input from the Coach. The recruitment officer doesn't write the cheques. The Broncos should be looking higher up the tree at the likes of Lockyer.
One of the big selling points with Walters as Coach was his so called ability to work with and influence the halves. AKA, Milford, Dearden & Croft, something that he currently has not achieved.

Nerd

Bench
I find it hard to believe that a recruitment officer is the problem. His role is to identify talent and options coming off contract. The length of the contract, the clauses and remuneration would be handled by the board with input from the Coach. The recruitment officer doesn't write the cheques. The Broncos should be looking higher up the tree at the likes of Lockyer.
One of the big selling points with Walters as Coach was his so called ability to work with and influence the halves. AKA, Milford, Dearden & Croft, something that he currently has not achieved.
Nolan was recruitment manager and then I believe football manager and the clean out of the back office has to start somewhere. Who knows what will happen with Lockyer as he is a board member and can only be removed by the majority team owners Newscorp. Croft is out injured and obviously Walters has decided that Milford and Dearden aren't up to NRL standard. On Milford his speed was his biggest asset and ever since he did that hammy/achilles strain at the end of last year he seems to have lost quite a bit of pace. Our chopped and changed spine is the weakest in the comp and while Reynolds can't be expected to do it all himself at least we will now have an experienced half to push the team around the park and handle the last tackle options which have for the last 2 years just been diabolical.

League guru

Juniors
So if they release TPJ and Lodge (who has been playing quiet well) they will still have to pay half their freight for them to play somewhere else. So they will have to release 2 players to have enough coin to, potentially sign one. Depending on who there targets are and who is available. It's not like they have potential lining up to be signed, which is what got them into this situation in the first place.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Brisbane Broncos Head Of Football, Peter Nolan and Head of Performance Andrew Croll have been released.

There's also reports that Terry Matterson and John Cartwright could lose their jobs.

Corey Parker is reportedly set to be appointed as an assistant coach.

Former Head of Performance Dean Benton is conducting a review on the club.

any source for these allegations ?

Windy70

Juniors
From what I understand recruitment is just putting forward a player and making first contact to gauge interest and price, conditions etc. Then it is up to the coach and ceo. If the cost or conditions need to change to get the signature then the club cash controllers need to agree.
Seems strange that every player signed and every player lost is on one bloke.

From what I understand recruitment is just putting forward a player and making first contact to gauge interest and price, conditions etc. Then it is up to the coach and ceo. If the cost or conditions need to change to get the signature then the club cash controllers need to agree.
Seems strange that every player signed and every player lost is on one bloke.
I understand the responsibilities and processes differ from club to club, so at our club, Madge gets a say, but not the ultimate decision.
So If he is at odds with recruitment, he loses.

it works with some players but not others I guess.

But blaming a single soul, wreaks of not taking responsibility.

Brisbane have proved they can be competitive this year, but like us, just can’t find the consistency.

Everyone loves a quick fix and the pressure is astronomical.

Not sure Wayne has been overly constructive burning bridges etc.

It will sort itself out eventually. Chill, see the bright side, have the odd laugh but underneath it all, tough it out like el @SLRBRONCOS.

bluefox68

Staff member
So if they release TPJ and Lodge (who has been playing quiet well) they will still have to pay half their freight for them to play somewhere else. So they will have to release 2 players to have enough coin to, potentially sign one. Depending on who there targets are and who is available. It's not like they have potential lining up to be signed, which is what got them into this situation in the first place.
Pretty sure that if you release a player, they still get their money, but it doesn’t count any more on your salary cap…

Mr Spock!

Referee
Pretty sure that if you release a player, they still get their money, but it doesn’t count any more on your salary cap…
Yeah it does. ANY money received counts towards the cap.

So if TPJ is on 600K, gets told to look elsewhere and signs for West Tigers for 250k for the remainder of his Broncos contract, Broncos still have to cough up the outstanding 350k out of their cap.