What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-eels footy stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
Manly were damned either way. Three players on enormous money might not be the best way to structure a salary cap. Although they managed to create decent opportunities for nuffies like Parker and Gosjiewski to not look like shit. They'll need to do more of that, because keeping the Trbos will create retention problems for players like Walker, AFB and Fainu. They've already lost Koroisau.

I think Fainu has bigger problems.

One of them is named Bubba

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Like how Hayne was loyal to us as long as we kept him the highest paid player in the NRL.

And unlike Tom Trbojevic, at least Hayne won a finals match in his career.

84 Baby

Referee
Is that a shot at me? I wasn’t claiming Hayne was loyal?

Accepting identical amounts as you would receive elsewhere isn’t loyalty. It’s apathy to change

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Is that a shot at me? I wasn’t claiming Hayne was loyal?

Accepting identical amounts as you would receive elsewhere isn’t loyalty. It’s apathy to change
He was so having a shot at you, don’t cop that SHIT!!

f**k him up MERKIN.

Bandwagon

Staff member
So if i read that right, old creeping death's let him go with an option to return at his choosing to play out the remainder of his contract entirely at Kahu's own discretion, for a player they didn't see as a certain starter?

That's mind boggling.

Mind you, I'd rather Kahu on 400k than Boyd on his reported 800k, I do so hope they get to keep both though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So if i read that right, old creeping death's let him go with an option to return at his choosing to play out the remainder of his contract entirely at Kahu's own discretion, for a player they didn't see as a certain starter?

That's mind boggling.
Was there no benefit? It got them cap relief for a year. That's better than no cap relief for a year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It also got them a year where they could make no plans for the cap space Kahu may or may not have taken up in 2020.
He was taking up the space whether he went to the Cowboys or not. As for the player option, plenty of clubs offer it. It keeps the per-year price down.

Bandwagon

Staff member
He was taking up the space whether he went to the Cowboys or not. As for the player option, plenty of clubs offer it. It keeps the per-year price down.

Yeah, usually for players who are actually playing for them ( with the exception of Morts of course )

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah, usually for players who are actually playing for them ( with the exception of Morts of course )
The player isn't playing for them until he takes up the option. Just because Kahu agreed to go to the Cowboys for the final non-optional year of his contract doesn't mean he was going to let them off the hook for the option year. If they tried to put their foot down about it he could've just said f**k no and stayed there this year. Then they would've had to keep paying him this year as well.

The Broncos wanted him gone with two years (including the player option) to run on his contract. Getting rid of him for one of those years is better than none.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The player isn't playing for them until he takes up the option. Just because Kahu agreed to go to the Cowboys for the final non-optional year of his contract doesn't mean he was going to let them off the hook for the option year. If they tried to put their foot down about it he could've just said f**k no and stayed there this year. Then they would've had to keep paying him this year as well.

The Broncos wanted him gone with two years (including the player option) to run on his contract. Getting rid of him for one of those years is better than none.

Yeah look, you can go about your day believing this is ( was ) a good deal for the Donkeys, up to you.

Me, I'm just amazed that no other club has managed to think of this before, I mean it's f**king genius!