What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-eels footy stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gronk doesn't want the process to be respectful. He believes the Australian team is made up of merkins from a myriad of cultures and it's wrong to privilege one over the others.

Gronk

Staff member
Gronk doesn't want the process to be respectful. He believes the Australian team is made up of merkins from a myriad of cultures and it's wrong to privilege one over the others.
Close. I was more thinking about the embarrassing cultural appropriation aspect of whiteys doing indigenous rabbit ears or something. Fair enough that whiteys might stand there in support of the indigenous players doing the La Perouse Haka, but what if none are selected in the team. Awkward, so no.

Gronk

Staff member
^^^^ unless we make all Kangaroo teams to be indigenous players only from now on. I'd support that.

(just to piss off the haters)

84 Baby

Referee
^^^^ unless we make all Kangaroo teams to be indigenous players only from now on. I'd support that.

(just to piss off the haters)
All Blacks have been doing the haka for decades and half of their team aren’t Maori.
New Zealand’s reconciliation between indigenous and colonials is the global gold standard at the moment.
I think the judgment of whether to perform it should be on the indigenous involved in the Kangaroos squad

Gronk

Staff member
All Blacks have been doing the haka for decades and half of their team aren’t Maori.
New Zealand’s reconciliation between indigenous and colonials is the global gold standard at the moment.
I think the judgment of whether to perform it should be on the indigenous involved in the Kangaroos squad
Yeah well the Treaty of Waitangi was signed in 1840. So they already have common ground and a framework. I bet you a dollar that we won't have a treaty by 2040.

I'm not totally against the NRL breaking new ground with their policy of positive inclusion, however I can't see this being successful and will likely cause more division and controversy. Last year several elected to be silent during the national anthem. So some will stand there silent during AAF and then dance in unison 5 minutes later. Weird.

Look I might be swayed in the future, but not for me.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Close. I was more thinking about the embarrassing cultural appropriation aspect of whiteys doing indigenous rabbit ears or something. Fair enough that whiteys might stand there in support of the indigenous players doing the La Perouse Haka, but what if none are selected in the team. Awkward, so no.
Whiteys appropriate the Kiwi haka when they play (either that or they're forced to do it). Why is this any different? It's all pretty embarrassing.

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah well the Treaty of Waitangi was signed in 1840. So they already have common ground and a framework. I bet you a dollar that we won't have a treaty by 2040.

I'm not totally against the NRL breaking new ground with their policy of positive inclusion, however I can't see this being successful and will likely cause more division and controversy. Last year several elected to be silent during the national anthem. So some will stand there silent during AAF and then dance in unison 5 minutes later. Weird.

Look I might be swayed in the future, but not for me.

I was being a bit facetious. I get where you were coming from. A predominately white war cry would be a bit on the nose but I think in the scenario where players are mostly not indigenous, then an impassioned welcome to country by the indigenous contingent would be suitable

Gronk

Staff member
I don’t think they’re forced. Kiwis have been way more accepting of Māori culture than we have of Aboriginal

Yes, they have moved forward together and now everyone is proud of the rich Maori culture.

Gronk

Staff member
I was being a bit facetious. I get where you were coming from. A predominately white war cry would be a bit on the nose but I think in the scenario where players are mostly not indigenous, then an impassioned welcome to country by the indigenous contingent would be suitable
Didn't the NRL All Stars come up with some dad dance war cry once ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes, they have moved forward together and now everyone is proud of the rich Maori culture.

My kids have some books in Maori. I do my best to read it to them but I always end up sounding like a samurai giving his pre-seppuku monologue. Probably helps that the dominant Maori group was able to enforce its own as the official Maori language.

strider

Post Whore
No its up to privileged whities to decide whats right