What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yes the Bluesound node and the Yamaha are competitors. The yamaha has a DAC on board, I just don't use it. If your budget stretches to $1,000 + the the bluesound is a great unit. There is a new version just released IIRC.

The Cambridge Audio deck is a great deck but once you start going down that rabbit hole then you might as well get the Brooklyn Bridge which is pretty much top shelf.

Yep the Mytek is an exceptional piece of kit, but you will be wanting some equally exceptional speakers to make it worthwhile.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Dragonfly Cobalt arrived. Absolutely amazing for such a small device. Really rich and full sound through the Sennheiser momentums. Just played a mix of stuff - White Stripes, Nick Drake, Aphex Twin, Jay Reatard. All sounded excellent.

hindy111

Post Whore
Dragonfly Cobalt arrived. Absolutely amazing for such a small device. Really rich and full sound through the Sennheiser momentums. Just played a mix of stuff - White Stripes, Nick Drake, Aphex Twin, Jay Reatard. All sounded excellent.

Your on a spending spree before election.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can be both although analog is a step backward for mine. Each to their own.

I play a helluva lot of music but it's all live concerts via Youtube, without video, it lessens the experience for me.
Music is for deadshits. You merkins need to get into the podcasts.

Yes the Bluesound node and the Yamaha are competitors. The yamaha has a DAC on board, I just don't use it. If your budget stretches to $1,000 + the the bluesound is a great unit. There is a new version just released IIRC.

The Cambridge Audio deck is a great deck but once you start going down that rabbit hole then you might as well get the Brooklyn Bridge which is pretty much top shelf.

Budget is pretty much what I can convince myself it is. The Cambridge EVOs are networks streamers integrated with a pretty decent 2.1 stereo amp (either 75watts per channel or 150w per channel). So just add speakers. But you are always paying a bit for their marketing budget.

what I think i might do is f**k around with a cheap (highish spec / low features) DAC such as the Topping D10s and see if I can place it somewhere between my streamer and the AVR that will allow me use the audio from the DAC and the video output from HDMI. I figure that I can send both signals via HDMI to my TV, then connect the video via HDMI to the AVR, and run the audio via optical to the DAC, and then to the AVR via analogue RCA. The D10s can be had for $160. If that doesn't suit me I can always use it to hook up my desktop PC (Alienware R11) to the amp.

Or maybe I could just start listening to music through headphones again (in which case I'd definitely be in for the Dragonfly stuff)....but I tend to listen to audiobooks rather than music when walking. And when at home I sit in the lounge room and play music from the TV room (using it as an additional amplifier). The neighbours love it. Particularly the sub.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
When you are listening to music it has been diverted to analogue via an inbuilt DAC in your listening device. These DACs are normally fairly shitty so bypassing them and using a better quality exterior DAC greatly improves sound.

yes, I know

I have a big screen TV and 5 ch surround sound out in my mancave and the big screen TV with live music works for me

I've got a ginormous 7 ch DAC indoors for footy and movies but out in my space I can play what ever I want as loud as I want and it works for me, although I have a better system in the media room where her indoors watches movies and shit while I'm in my space

each to their own

Anyone used Foxtel Now? For $1.50 more than Kayo you get the sport and a whole bunch of other channels. And for another $10 you get the movie channels. Can't remember if they're any good.

strider

Post Whore
I have literally nothing to play music on these days. If i wanna listen to music i go to youtube on my laptop/tablet.

i still have a 30 yr old cd/tape/radio stereo ... with dual cassette decks, oh yeah baby - remember dubbing tapes - oh what fun ... but it doesnt work and is really just covering a bit of ugly floor in the corner lol

hindy111

Post Whore
For $4xx for the cost of a Dragonfly DAC it could very well improve the sound of your collection or streaming favourites by100%.

I'm under mortgage stress. With Labor looking short odds to win interest rates are rocketing up. It's crazy. When I have enough money to buy an Ice berg lettuce I will consider a DAC

hindy111

Post Whore
yes, I know

I have a big screen TV and 5 ch surround sound out in my mancave and the big screen TV with live music works for me

I've got a ginormous 7 ch DAC indoors for footy and movies but out in my space I can play what ever I want as loud as I want and it works for me, although I have a better system in the media room where her indoors watches movies and shit while I'm in my space

each to their own

How many rooms do you have.
I have a lounge room and a kitchen a bathroom and bedrooms.
What does one do with so many rooms.

I have literally nothing to play music on these days. If i wanna listen to music i go to youtube on my laptop/tablet.

i still have a 30 yr old cd/tape/radio stereo ... with dual cassette decks, oh yeah baby - remember dubbing tapes - oh what fun ... but it doesnt work and is really just covering a bit of ugly floor in the corner lol

In the 80s my first business was pirating Commodore 64 software on cassette using a dubbing deck, and selling it to other kids. I got my friend's sister to make 'covers' for each cassette. Was going quite for a few months until I got caught.

strider

Post Whore
I'm under mortgage stress. With Labor looking short odds to win interest rates are rocketing up. It's crazy. When I have enough money to buy an Ice berg lettuce I will consider a DAC
The dual baby cos pack was down to 3.80 at woolies this evening

Latest posts