What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Oh dear.

Let's go back.

The NYP story was suppressed whilst Trump ( the GOP ) were in the Whitehouse, or if you will, were the government.

So either the government requested the suppression, or it did not. If it did, that's the Trump Republican administration, if it did not, and it was the DNC, it's not the government making the request is it, so it aint got shit to do with the 1st amendment. As I said previously.

now, let's look at that tweet again.....it very clearly says, and I quote...............

10.Both parties had access to these tools. For instance, in 2020, requests from both the Trump White House and the Biden campaign were received and honored. However:

............your post, your source, and it out right states the "Trump Whitehouse" - ie the Republican government both requested censorship, and it was actioned.

How the f**k do you reconcile that with.....

...................?????

Honestly mate, you're all over the shop here, but the doozy is calling me out with...........

..................when it's pretty obvious you're just regurgitating random shit you clearly haven't bothered to think through enough to understand how one post contradicts the other.
It's really not difficult to understand unless you're hellbent on catching me in some contradiction, which doesn't exist. I never said the NYP story was evidence of government suppression.
As to what either camp requested be removed we don't know what that was. Maybe it was all dick pics eh, and nothing to worry about.
Since then though the democrats have come to power and appear to be involved in the suppression of voices from the right, nothing to do with dick pics or even close. And this would be problematic for the first amendment. Like I said, pretty f**king simple. So yeah, oh dear indeed.

Bandwagon

Staff member
It's really not difficult to understand unless you're hellbent on catching me in some contradiction, which doesn't exist. I never said the NYP story was evidence of government suppression.
As to what either camp requested be removed we don't know what that was. Maybe it was all dick pics eh, and nothing to worry about.
Since then though the democrats have come to power and appear to be involved in the suppression of voices from the right, nothing to do with dick pics or even close. And this would be problematic for the first amendment. Like I said, pretty f**king simple. So yeah, oh dear indeed.

I'm not hell bent on anything here mate, you served several up on a platter.

you should really give the whole charade of non bias a rest, it's obvious, and it's very unconvincing.

I'm not hell bent on anything here mate, you served several up on a platter.

you should really give the whole charade of non bias a rest, it's obvious, and it's very unconvincing.
And your claims were easily refuted, as I just did. And I've not said I'm unbiased either. But less biased than you certainly. Remember, it's a spectrum.

the phantom menace

First Grade
And this would be problematic for the first amendment.
I honestly don't think it is... no matter which party was in government, as violations of the first amendment "right to free speech" don't/won't extend to a tech company's choices in what it moderates, suspends, or visibility limits on its own (freely offered) publishing platform - or any government's lobbying efforts as to the tech company's decisions or policies in such regard.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What you mean is that the mob from Silicon Valley California leaned to the left and that it caught you by surprise. You didn’t see that coming ? Highly educated cali-tech are not conservatives?
After Trump took power and Twitter became activist it was obvious they were lefties, but until now we assumed they were telling the truth about not censoring political viewpoints.
Now Mr Money Bags has bought it, he sees his business model to be more inclu$ive, so he is trying to get the whole band back together. So far he’s being very convincing that he all of a sudden sits on your side of the political fence. I think you are being very gullible again.
I don't think he's conservative at all, just like Trump. Rich people can afford to not care about the things conservatives value. I'm just happy Musk is pissing arseholes off.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fox and News Corp have been pushing Murdoch's agenda for literally decades, the rusted on Fox viewers of today all didn't just happen to materialise overnight, that audience has been built over time, and it's been built on the basis of serving up a right wing diet of varying degrees through different mastheads within the fold peddling influence to different folk.

That Fox News is preaching to the converted, should be viewed with an emphasis on "converted", they ( News Corp ) have literally created that audience. But hey, go ahead and ignore reality if you think it'll help with your position here.
The audience was created by giving them the content they want. American nationalism was around long before Rupert Murdoch.

I honestly don't think it is... no matter which party was in government, as violations of the first amendment "right to free speech" don't/won't extend to a tech company's choices in what it moderates, suspends, or visibility limits on its own (freely offered) publishing platform - or any government's lobbying efforts as to the tech company's decisions or policies in such regard.
And yet they can't work in concert with or in conspiracy with to suppress information. The NYP story suppression was probably the most important example of that but obviously it was not done by Republicans. But if it was coming from the FBI as it seems then that seems like a breach to me. As is the backdoor into Twitter that they seem to have used since coming to power. Obviously you disagree. I guess we'll wait and see.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What hypothetical worm hole are you disappearing into now? The Manly 7 were (are?) homophobes, and their refusal to play one game in a club-sanctioned jersey that had a teensy weeny strip of rainbow colour (and cost their club a finals berth) demonstrates this.
The club trying to force the players to support a political position is what caused the rift, which is why they're not doing it next year. They might be homophobes but that's their right. Sexual freedom is incompatible with their culture, as it is with so many cultures outside the West.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In the United States, freedom of speech and expression is strongly protected from government restrictions by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, many state constitutions, and state and federal laws. Freedom of speech, also called free speech, means the free and public expression of opinions without censorship, interference and restraint by the government.[1][2][3][4] The term "freedom of speech" embedded in the First Amendment encompasses the decision what to say as well as what not to say.[5] The Supreme Court of the United States has recognized several categories of speech that are given lesser or no protection by the First Amendment and has recognized that governments may enact reasonable time, place, or manner restrictions on speech. The First Amendment's constitutional right of free speech, which is applicable to state and local governments under the incorporation doctrine,[6] prevents only government restrictions on speech, not restrictions imposed by private individuals or businesses unless they are acting on behalf of the government.[7]

Democrat Ro Khanna seemed concerned that Twitter was enabling a breach of the First Amendment. In any case Freedom of Speech is bigger than the US Constitution. The First Amendment is irrelevant to most of us.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The audience was created by giving them the content they want. American nationalism was around long before Rupert Murdoch.

Again, only part of the story. I'll return to the point though, they influence, and have influenced the way many people

I can't even begin to understand why anyone would bother attempting and argument elsewise.
Well that's what news is. Some journalist telling you the facts she thinks are important, and the only possible conclusion you should be drawing from it.

Again, straying from the point, they pretend to be "news", 'cept when they front up to court and it suits not to be.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Again, only part of the story. I'll return to the point though, they influence, and have influenced the way many people

I can't even begin to understand why anyone would bother attempting and argument elsewise.
If they're only telling the rusted-ons what they want to hear, then it's not influence is it? It is meeting demand. Very few voters seek out information that might change their minds. The ones who do don't consume Fox News.
Again, straying from the point, they pretend to be "news", 'cept when they front up to court and it suits not to be.
That's because people like you still think 'News' is some sort of sacred truth, free from bias or agenda.