What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Geeze merkins are making a mountain out of a mole hill, meanwhile stick their heads in the sand when editorial partisanship actually sways elections.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/mur...arrants-royal-commission-20201016-p565wc.html

We should count ourselves lucky TBH.

Twitter hosts a discussion forum that claimed to be about free speech. They're not a publisher. And they're pretty close to a monopoly. It's illegal for the US government to get them to censor on their behalf.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
View attachment 68696

People are acting like twitter were obligated to run their company a certain way. They weren't and Musk isn't either.

It may be known as "the town square" but in realty it's a notice board in the local servo that got super popular. Servo owner can do what he likes cos he's not accountable to anyone. So let's all stop pretending that he is.

View attachment 68697
The difference is the servo owner doesn't make his money selling advertising to people he pretends not to despise. He doesn't interfere in the democratic process by suppressing their political voices. It's only very recently 'the people' have discovered just how powerful and partisan Twitter is as a political actor. If they had been more transparent about it (like legacy media is) they wouldn't have been able to make so much money pretending to be the unbiased town square people previously thought it was. Plenty of people would have rejected Twitter long ago if they had known what is now being revealed. People have been lied to and they are pissed. Lefties are now in damage control for a reason.

Gronk

Staff member
It's just a coincidence I guess that you guys think the censorship is just fine, now that we know it was in your favour.
Yeah reality check mate. We live in a country where Murdoch has driven the narrative and swayed elections via censorship and peddling misinformation for generations. Meanwhile you are acting like twitter shadow banning merkins is some sort of watergate / weapons of mass destruction moment.

Yeah reality check mate. We live in a country where Murdoch has driven the narrative and swayed elections via censorship and peddling misinformation for generations. Meanwhile you are acting like twitter shadow banning merkins is some sort of watergate / weapons of mass destruction moment.
Not a publisher but a monopoly public forum that claimed to be about free speech yet was anything but. Try to get your head around the difference, if your ego will allow it.

Gronk

Staff member
The difference is the servo owner doesn't make his money selling advertising to people he pretends not to despise. He doesn't interfere in the democratic process by suppressing their political voices. It's only very recently 'the people' have discovered just how powerful and partisan Twitter is as a political actor. If they had been more transparent about it (like legacy media is) they wouldn't have been able to make so much money pretending to be the unbiased town square people previously thought it was. Plenty of people would have rejected Twitter long ago if they had known what is now being revealed. People have been lied to and they are pissed. Lefties are now in damage control for a reason.
Yeah nah. You're getting all flustered over something that you think is significant, but in realty twitters reach isn't as big as you apparently think.

1670559682059.png

Gronk

Staff member
Not a publisher but a monopoly public forum that claimed to be about free speech yet was anything but. Try to get your head around the difference, if your ego will allow it.
LOL how is it a monopoly ? There is parler and truth and a bunch more.

As for alternatives to the town square there are a bunch more including Facebook.

1670560153000.png

the phantom menace

First Grade
The difference is the servo owner doesn't make his money selling advertising to people he pretends not to despise. He doesn't interfere in the democratic process by suppressing their political voices.
But there's nothing stopping the servo owner selling an ad to Maccas across the top of the noticeboard... and then nothing stopping (or wrong with) him taking down ads for Hungry Jacks from the noticeboard, if that's part of his (new) conditions of use.

Would Hungry Jacks get upset that their voice was being surpressed? Possibly - but there was nothing stopping them taking out the ad first, and nothing stopping them setting up or taking out an ad on an alternative noticeboard (TruthSocial, Discord, Mastodon, etc) if they no longer like the rules of the first noticeboard (Twitter).

the phantom menace

First Grade
I would say I'm a mid-lefty or centre-left... and I find Twitter a cess pit of vitrioland hatred, and wouldn't defend it. I'm actually looking forward to it collapsing when Elon tries to charge everyone to recoup his expenditure.

I would say I'm a mid-lefty or centre-left... and I find Twitter a cess pit of vitrioland hatred, and wouldn't defend it. I'm actually looking forward to it collapsing when Elon tries to charge everyone to recoup his expenditure.
Considering how many of your posts are about politics I find that difficult to believe. And I don't think the richest man in the world spent $44 billion to blow it up.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Considering how many of your posts are about politics I find that difficult to believe. And I don't think the richest man in the world spent $44 billion to blow it up.
Well, we have a politics thread here in the Eels forum - which just proves how many places and alternatives there are for people to discuss politics other than on Twitter. I sometimes click on links posted here or in the newsite to look at what people posted on Twitter and the comments, but have never needed to sign up as a Twitter user.

I honestly have no idea why Musk paid so much to buy Twitter - I don't think he does either, given he tried to back out of the deal after making the offer. Maybe he's out of his comfort zone and doesn't have the skills to avoid f**king it up or blowing it up, which he seems to be doing a great job of so far.

Well, we have a politics thread here in the Eels forum - which just proves how many places and alternatives there are for people to discuss politics other than on Twitter. I sometimes click on links posted here or in the newsite to look at what people posted on Twitter and the comments, but have never needed to sign up as a Twitter user.

I honestly have no idea why Musk paid so much to buy Twitter - I don't think he does either, given he tried to back out of the deal after making the offer. Maybe he's out of his comfort zone and doesn't have the skills to avoid f**king it up or blowing it up, which he seems to be doing a great job of so far.
You think a bunch of lefties whining about the new management revoking their privileges is evidence that Twitter has lost value?

the phantom menace

First Grade
Sorry, I don't know what that comment is about...? Do you mean people upset at being charged $8 to keep their blue tick? Didn't think that was just a lefties thing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The difference is the Murdoch press doesn’t pretend to be something it’s not. In particular it doesn’t pretend to be a platform where people can air their views to those who want to listen.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep. There’s no competitor to Twitter because of the network effect. Facebook is probably the closest thing, but it’s not a place for connecting with like-minded strangers. Everything else is a very poor imitation.

Latest posts