What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norman suspended

Gareth67

First Grade
All good , all good gents , don’t forget that Vlandys has a soft spot for the Dragons so the action he has taken must be for the betterment of the club . . . :flushed:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The NRL need to do research when it comes to off field behaviour in how other sporting codes not only in Aust but around the world deal with it and follow suit. They will see all codes have the same issues and probably the same amount of players that do this but deal with it much smarter and not try to become life coaches or lawyers. The NRL treat the players like they are the worst of any code and cannot be trusted which is sad. Quick to punish and assume guilty before they have a chance to plead innocence.

NRL have too many journalists that love to rubbish the game in high places like on Foxtel as so called experts of the game. I don't think other codes have journalists that want to run the game and bag the game so much as the NRL does, let alone be allowed on shows that talk about the game. Other codes have ex players, coaches or commentators that call the game on sports shows and are not interested in guys that have off field gossip. They should leave those guys for the News with all the other rubbish. Journalists have more interest in off field drama's than the on field stuff which is so obvious because they honestly believe that it sells more. I stopped buying the paper because there was not much stuff about on field stuff and more off field and I am sure there are many others that feel the same.

Dragon David

First Grade
The NRL need to do research when it comes to off field behaviour in how other sporting codes not only in Aust but around the world deal with it and follow suit. They will see all codes have the same issues and probably the same amount of players that do this but deal with it much smarter and not try to become life coaches or lawyers. The NRL treat the players like they are the worst of any code and cannot be trusted which is sad. Quick to punish and assume guilty before they have a chance to plead innocence.

NRL have too many journalists that love to rubbish the game in high places like on Foxtel as so called experts of the game. I don't think other codes have journalists that want to run the game and bag the game so much as the NRL does, let alone be allowed on shows that talk about the game. Other codes have ex players, coaches or commentators that call the game on sports shows and are not interested in guys that have off field gossip. They should leave those guys for the News with all the other rubbish. Journalists have more interest in off field drama's than the on field stuff which is so obvious because they honestly believe that it sells more. I stopped buying the paper because there was not much stuff about on field stuff and more off field and I am sure there are many others that feel the same.
You could say that some media members and journos bring the game into disrepute by always bagging things. The more bad the publicity, the more attention given to them.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Clearly if a female player is attacked, she should lay back and think; "Oh well. I'll take one for the game which is more important than me."

The game has been governed by morons since the mid / late 90's.

As mentioned above, if the police drop charges, that should be the end of it.
FTR, there were no charges laid. The police couldn't find the perpetrators.

Police believe the four men were the instigators and on Monday the police confirmed to me that Norman and Segeyaro “were not believed to be the aggressors”.
{Source]

gregstar

Referee
FTR, there were no charges laid. The police couldn't find the perpetrators.

Police believe the four men were the instigators and on Monday the police confirmed to me that Norman and Segeyaro “were not believed to be the aggressors”.
{Source]
My bad.
I meant no charges laid.

I'm assuming Jason Ryles was charged though.

possm

Coach

The codes are worried about their image when a scandal is leaked to the media. The players a concerned about their image whether guilty or not. The police are worried that there investigations can be contaminated by the premature release of a story containing assumptions rather than fact. The players friends and family become concerned about the situation and then, yes there is the victim's concerns.

I suggest that the first step is to silence the NRL staff, Clubs and players from publicising anything that is referred to the NRL integrity unit by inserting clauses into the standard NRL contract to reflect this. This ban applies to anyone communicating anything about the matter outside the court. A hefty fine or jail term being applied by the court.

In addition, I recommend the following actions/measures be implemented:

• Establish a secret Federal Court, charged with handling such matters.
  • Have a panel of 3 judge's decide the matter.
  • Make it so that the whole process is conducted in secret and supressed from the media until the matter is decided.
  • Deem that the the whole process must be handled expediently.
Presto, no scandals for the NRL, players, victims or associated people. No story for the media until a legal decision has been handed down. Less brown paper bag deals done between the police and media.

In order to justify the additional expenditure for such a system, there should be consideration to include other high profile members of the Australian community to have access to this scheme. The lawyers for the accused could apply for the matter to be heard / ruled in this secret court and justify this. This would help to spread the costs.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
The codes are worried about their image when a scandal is leaked to the media. The players a concerned about their image whether guilty or not. The police are worried that there investigations can be contaminated by the premature release of a story containing assumptions rather than fact. The players friends and family become concerned about the situation and then, yes there is the victim's concerns.

I suggest that the first step is to silence the NRL staff, Clubs and players from publicising anything that is referred to the NRL integrity unit by inserting clauses into the standard NRL contract to reflect this. This ban applies to anyone communicating anything about the matter outside the court. A hefty fine or jail term being applied by the court.

In addition, I recommend the following actions/measures be implemented:

• Establish a secret Federal Court, charged with handling such matters.
  • Have a panel of 3 judge's decide the matter.
  • Make it so that the whole process is conducted in secret and supressed from the media until the matter is decided.
  • Deem that the the whole process must be handled expediently.
Presto, no scandals for the NRL, players, victims or associated people. No story for the media until a legal decision has been handed down. Less brown paper bag deals done between the police and media.

In order to justify the additional expenditure for such a system, there should be consideration to include other high profile members of the Australian community to have access to this scheme. The lawyers for the accused could apply for the matter to be heard / ruled in this secret court and justify this. This would help to spread the costs.

Your right in as much as the media scandalizing such occurrences , but unfortunately in this day and age of technology these unsavory incidents are already doing the rounds of online platforms before the ink has dried on the newspapers .

Absolute shame that league players and for that matter all sportsmen , have been found to be in the wrong before the actual truth is known .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My bad.
I meant no charges laid.

I'm assuming Jason Ryles was charged though.
And here's the thing, no charges were laid but the NRL still went after Norman.

Meanwhile, the NRL Integrity Unit has gone after John Cartwright for getting into a pub fight with Chris Johns. Cartwright is Brisbane's assistant coach so he falls under the NRL rules.

But fear not, the NRL has decided that Cartwright has nothing to worry about.

All good... mates. But hang on... wasn't this a fight that could have been avoided?

Broncos assistant cleared by NRL following pub fight with club legend

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/eeb20c6ee1b59ab5cd745559e6c403ee

Dragon David

First Grade
And here's the thing, no charges were laid but the NRL still went after Norman.

Meanwhile, the NRL Integrity Unit has gone after John Cartwright for getting into a pub fight with Chris Johns. Cartwright is Brisbane's assistant coach so he falls under the NRL rules.

But fear not, the NRL has decided that Cartwright has nothing to worry about.

All good... mates. But hang on... wasn't this a fight that could have been avoided?

Broncos assistant cleared by NRL following pub fight with club legend

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/eeb20c6ee1b59ab5cd745559e6c403ee
Unfortunately Willow, there are different sets of rules when it comes to other clubs bringing the game into disrepute. I am sure that if it was say our assistant coach Matthew Elliott having a stoush with say Dean Young in a pub somewhere Elliott would have been in all sorts of trouble and would not have gotten off. (Sorry Matt and Deano for picking you two as the examples of the villains).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's almost like two blokes can't have a punch up in a pub anymore. I'm sure those people nearby felt entirely at ease with the Carty v Johns stouch, and neither gentleman brought the game into disrepute.

This Year?

Immortal
I find it amazing how this incident happened last December and yet it is only now - 3 months later that it has come to the attention of the NRL.

When did the Roosters Club know about it?

Why was not the NRL integrity unit notified right away?
Funny how these things get made public the day before the season starts :thinking:

Dragon David

First Grade
I find it amazing how this incident happened last December and yet it is only now - 3 months later that it has come to the attention of the NRL.

When did the Roosters Club know about it?

Why was not the NRL integrity unit notified right away?
Your questions are very valid Possm. Hopefully the media gets to find out the answers soon.

TruSaint

Referee
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/5d2055e188591bd34067aa4395ec17a3

Now let's see what eventuates from this incident involving Victor Radley from the Roosters.

Will Radley cop any penalty from the NRL?

Radley fined, banned two games for Byron Bay off-field incident

Roosters forward Victor Radley has been fined $20,000 and banned two games for tackling a person in the street during an off-season incident.

The NRL announced on Wednesday that 50% of Radley's fine would be suspended for 12 months and that he had been directed to complete an "appropriate education and training course".

Radley has accepted the breach notice and apologised for his actions in the incident which occurred in Byron Bay on December 30.

According to the NRL statement, he was found to have "breached the game’s code of conduct when he tackled an individual in a street" and the penalty reflects his conduct and failure to report the incident.

Radley will need to report back to his club and the NRL after completing the education and training course.

The premiership-winning lock played seven matches last season before tearing his ACL and is close to being back to full fitness.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/10/radley-fined-banned-two-games-for-byron-bay-off-field-incident/

Dragon David

First Grade
Radley fined, banned two games for Byron Bay off-field incident

Roosters forward Victor Radley has been fined $20,000 and banned two games for tackling a person in the street during an off-season incident.

The NRL announced on Wednesday that 50% of Radley's fine would be suspended for 12 months and that he had been directed to complete an "appropriate education and training course".

Radley has accepted the breach notice and apologised for his actions in the incident which occurred in Byron Bay on December 30.

According to the NRL statement, he was found to have "breached the game’s code of conduct when he tackled an individual in a street" and the penalty reflects his conduct and failure to report the incident.

Radley will need to report back to his club and the NRL after completing the education and training course.

The premiership-winning lock played seven matches last season before tearing his ACL and is close to being back to full fitness.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/10/radley-fined-banned-two-games-for-byron-bay-off-field-incident/
The NRL has been consistent with the penalty imposed on Radley, so that is good.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sounds nasty. Alleged headbutting, tackling someone in the street. Perhaps he thought it was just another spear tackle on the field.

But Radley is injured anyway, so he'll serve out his suspension while undergoing treatment for his knee injury.

Interesting part is that the NRL thought Radley's and Norman's conduct deserved the same level of punishment.

Latest posts