What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North a captaincy bolter as Clarke's popularity wanes

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
all this is allegedly over Clarke's comment on Bollinger and Hussey not being available due to IPL duties

bit of a storm in a teacup really

slow news day

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Katich should've been captain years ago, in fact if they should even hand the reigns over to him now. However, as a replacement for Clarke as 'future-captain' - his age rules him out maybe, although i wouldn't mind it for a few years. I'm not completely against Clarke atm either, and i would give it to North ahead of White (even though White is the better captain, i still rate North higher when it comes to quality of test player.)

beads6

First Grade
North shouldn't even be in the team FFS. Wow there is some muppets writing in our newspapers. I think Clarke is the only real option for his age in the team. Clarke will most likely improve as skipper but if the team doesn't respect him for whatever reason it won't work. Cameron White is the only bloke worth a shot at it but isn't in the team and probably won't be unless they put him in the team this summer.

Timbo

Staff member
I wouldn't mind fast-tracking Ferguson or Bailey into the side with a view for them to take the reigns next either.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He'd be a more aggressive captain than Ponting, but not a smarter one.

Scarves

Juniors
I don't think this is a major problem.

a) The Australian Cricket Captain isn't about a popularity contest. I can recall Allan Border for many years being called captain grumpy, he finished up revered.

b) Ponting will be around for quite some time yet. He is still in the top three batsmen in the country, he is the only one in the team that holds any respect over the whole of the team. Perhaps he has a little too much influence but it is difficult to judge from the bleachers.

Vice Captaincy is always a difficult position, it's a backup plan with no weight, respect or influence. If a vice captain tries to exert influence it can look like he is undermining the real leader. That's why it is always perfect for the keeper to be the VC as the keeper is in a great position to control the game on a short term basis and the keeper generally does plenty of talking anyway.

When the time comes for a captaincy handover, who knows where the form of a couple of the players will be. I remember during the 80's Greame Wood being lauded in a tabloid as the next Aussie Captain after Border... how did that go for him?

simmo1

First Grade
Very good point RE:respect. I don't think anyone in the team is respected by his peers anywhere near as much as Ponting, and this may have a lot to do with his leadership not being called into question.