What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Sydney Oval and Souths

Parra_Eels

Bench
yeah they made the finals most years in the 90's. if the rationalisation was in '99 and not 2000 they would've made it. remember the 'home' game against the cowboys at lang park. bloody disaster

t-ba

Post Whore
Board Corruption ;-) . The Bears board, once David Hill left, was simply in a shambles. If they had a half decent board with some concept of ethics, the Bears would still be around. 1999 was a freakish culmination of events, and I imagine they would have had a much stronger case than the bunnies in the courts.

But that's a story for another time. The Bears don't have a link with Souths. They were feeders for a while, but got p*ssed off about the way Souths treated it like one way traffic!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I think you will find the reason the Bears were going to leave NSO had something to do with not enough/if any corporate boxes.

doctor death

Juniors
To the manly whingers: Norths people do not blame Manly for Norths going broke and we never have. The Bears built up debt because millions was spent helping to build the NorthPower stadium.

But Manly came out of the 1999 schemozzle with a team called the eagles in maroon and white PLUS a huge cash injection from News Ltd when they were in big trouble. To say this just happened naturally is simply naive and quite stupid.

Ask the question: Manly passed the criteria. OK. THis means that they were supposed to have the money to run a team for 5-7 years. Why do a "JV" with a "broke" club????? Why move from Brookvale to the Central Coast if everything was OK?

ozzie

Bench
It is not known by many - but the Roosters provide players to bolster Norths sides..when available..it is only a one way thing and if you don't believe me - its easy to ring the Norths Sydney leagues Club -This was bought up on Ray Hadleys show on 2GB in march this year and the Manager of the Norths Club came on and said it was true...

As far as the ground goes a great ground - but where the hell do you park if you have a crowd of 15,000??

t-ba

Post Whore
doctor death said:
To the manly whingers: Norths people do not blame Manly for Norths going broke and we never have. The Bears built up debt because millions was spent helping to build the NorthPower stadium.

But Manly came out of the 1999 schemozzle with a team called the eagles in maroon and white PLUS a huge cash injection from News Ltd when they were in big trouble. To say this just happened naturally is simply naive and quite stupid.

Ask the question: Manly passed the criteria. OK. THis means that they were supposed to have the money to run a team for 5-7 years. Why do a "JV" with a "broke" club????? Why move from Brookvale to the Central Coast if everything was OK?

The Bears went broke because Cannon and Co. were stupid corrupt f*cks (I know the family. Never met such a bunch of dumb f*cks in my life...) who squandered one of the best positioned clubs in the games considerable wealth.

-Manly were good for the next few seasons, but Arko had serious doubts about surviving in the longer term future. He offered the Bears a deal, and they took it. Manly never intended on leaving Brookvale entirely at any stage in the process.

Ask youself this Bears Fans: Why did the Bears, a victim of a new rule issued in the Criteria a fortnight (In clear breach of the trade practices act ;-) ) before the announcement of the surviving teams with a large anonymous backer (Not so anonymous anymore...) not tough it out in the courts, when they clearly had a better case than the Rabbitohs? Because a pack of spineless sooks down in Cammeray thought they could merge and kill the Sea Eagles and steal their license. You lost,we won, get over it and start working towards readmission. I'll be waiting at Brookvale watching my team run arund in the NRL.

Central Coastie

Juniors
t-ba, arrogant wanker.

As for the joke of a "JV", if it was a fair dinkum 50:50, then maybe both sides would have accepted it. But Manly had to make it a maroon and white Eagles team which everyone called Manly anyway. Why would a Norths supporter put up with that crap?

Times have changed, mate. Manly are scraping the bottom of the barrell. the Bears have the money, backing and the support. The NRL can't protect Manly forever.

t-ba

Post Whore
Why did the Bears accept the offer?

Because the board reckoned it would be cheaper to kill off Manly and steal their license under the guise of the Joke venture than do teh honourable thing and fight it in the courts. Don't think Norths went into it with good intentions and lollipops. They were hellbent on destroying it decisively in their favour.

The bears football club are only volunatrily kept alive. The Administration might ahve paid their players for season 1999 with the JV cash injection, but in regards to all other debts, they've only bothered to pay 17c in the dollar. the Bank can foreclose on the football club at any time it pleases.

Manly is doing alot better than it was when Singo, Florimo and co attempted to destroy the club back at the end of the JV and in 2002. We've just signed a new $200,000 sponsorship with a construction firm in New Zealand and the board is looking out for further business opportunities.

Bears fans need to forget about Manly and start focusing on their own teams bid for re-admission. We aren't going to die any time soon and you might as well accept it. It'll be the first thing you've won since 1922 when you get a license....

t-ba

Post Whore
By the by Coastie/Doctor, what is your involvement with Bears?

I live with two football club members, And I joined the Leagues club a few months ago.