What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Not all in a league of their own" — Best rugby league article this season?

Tom Shines

First Grade
A must read.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/not-all-in-a-league-of-their-own-20121005-274mp.html

Here's a scoop. Rugby league players are young men. No better, no worse, than many other groups of young males in society. Expect every single player involved in the NRL to be a shining example of virtue off the field as well as a star on it? Prepare to be disappointed. But show me any large organisation that could, to a man, live up to that standard. Just don't mention politics, religious organisations, the defence forces or university campuses.

There's not much interest in a young man behaving shockingly on the non-sporting equivalent of Mad Monday - a bucks' night. Hey, I've been to a few wild hens parties and am forever grateful there were no cameras around. The Hangover's Alan was definitely onto something when he waxed lyrical on the unbridled joy of a lone wolf being set free to run wild with its pack.

But when misogynistic insults are hurled from inside a football club on Mad Monday it becomes big news.

After a stellar year, both on and off the field, it remains to be seen just how much the fallout from the appalling remarks made to a female journalist will rock the foundations at the revamped Belmore complex.

But there are separate issues at play and over the past week they've been muddied as they intertwine. If you criticise the media, you're excusing the comments. If you condemn the players, you're supporting invasive journalistic practices.

Simmering tension over access to players has been steadily building between sections of the media and a number of NRL clubs throughout the year.

In the Bulldogs' case this came to a head after their grand final loss when the media was barred from the dressing rooms, leaving journalists and their bosses frustrated and angry. In this environment, there was a high risk any bad behaviour on Mad Monday could become a PR nightmare.

And three (as yet unidentified) individuals provided it.

The comments were offensive, inexcusable and displayed a worrying attitude towards women, regardless of whether or not they were meant for public airing. As Alan Jones and Kate Middleton have discovered in recent weeks, the wall between public and private is becoming increasingly blurred for famous figures and won't keep you dry once the wave of publicity hits. And while, in my eyes, there's little value in extensive coverage of Mad Monday beyond the obligatory ''here are the players in funny costumes looking a bit dusty after last night's celebrations/commiserations'', others may disagree.

However, the type of insult that floated through a partially open window can be encountered outside any particular sport.

For a few years I was one of three women regularly working on a television crew of about 70. In fact most of my working environments have been male dominated. I'm often the only chick at the pub having a drink with other sports journalists and have been in many more he-wolf packs than the she-wolf equivalent. It's slowly changing but on the gender seesaw in my world the girls are still suspended high in the air. And on many occasions I've witnessed behaviour that wouldn't be tolerated at a professional rugby league club.
Off the top of my head I can think of several times I've felt particularly offended or embarrassed by misogynistic insults: there was a large group of leering drunks at Mt Panorama (no gentlemen, I will not be showing you my motor, or anything else), a passing driver on Moore Park Road (no sir, I don't wish to bang you in the back of your van), and a vile television executive (just no). I don't condemn all men who like fast cars, drive vans or work in TV; I consider it an individual's choice to be a tosser.

But it's a rare occasion anyone will punish those with outdated views in pubs or on the streets, to pull them into line, to try to improve their attitudes. Not so in the NRL, where the scandals of the past have led to a desire to engender change for the future. There are fines and sanctions to punish, and a team of experts has developed education programs across areas such as ethics, relationships and social media. While all the courses in the world won't make every player eligible for sainthood, the NRL and the clubs are at least making an effort. In fact, individuals within organisations including the NFL, the AFL and the Human Rights Commission have sought guidance by the NRL education team on best practice in social behaviour, sex and gender education.

I'm lucky enough to often present profiles and feature stories on professional athletes. Instead of joining media scrums I'll visit a player and his family at their home. Rather than filming at training I'll try to capture a side of their lives that fans don't normally see and hopefully give an understanding of the human being behind the athlete.

I've spent a day following Sydney University masters student (and Bulldogs forward) Corey Payne around high schools, as he encourages students to pursue higher education. His mentoring program has earned him a Churchill Fellowship. I recently laughed myself silly at the entertaining banter between the West Tigers' Matt Utai and Adam Blair as we paddled across Sydney Harbour in an outrigger to raise money for a Samoan charity.

Throughout this season I've filmed NRL players, led by Manly's Joe Gulavao, who have collaborated with young musicians from Greater Western Sydney - the Bulldogs' Dene Halatau and Sam Perrett have played a big part in that project. As I type, my phone has just pinged with a text message from recently retired South Sydney prop Scott Geddes, checking if I'll be attending his next group training session. All people I'm happy to know.

Some players I've met are highly intelligent, others - not so much. Some are larrikins while their teammates are painfully shy. There are arrogant types, devoted fathers, generous Samaritans, immature sons and honest workers. And, no doubt, there will always be a few who have a bad attitude towards women.

A little like the rest of society really.

Melinda Farrell is a sports journalist who has covered rugby league in Australia and Britain.
Twitter @melindafarrell

clarency

Juniors
Guys can be sexist in any walk of life.

That said... not all guys are representatives of a large organisation. She makes a point... sorta.

LESStar58

Referee
What a fantastic article. It's about time a female journo, or any journo for that matter, wrote an article of such a high standard about our game.

bluey

Bench
FMD good article but do we as a community need some one telling us just how men are over all, seriously why cant boys be boys and sheilas be well sheilas
There will be some people still talking about the differences between Men and Women in a hundred years and guess what it isn't going to change,Boys will still be Boys and Girls will be Girls.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Finally a female journalist writes a balanced article

I am so sick of seeing journos shipped in to Sydney from Vic and Sa and thinking they have the right to bag RL all day

I bet the "tldr" posters are the same ones who gobble up every word in a long winded "Players in NRL should be locked away to keep society safe" article.
Yet when someone writes something well worth reading they wont read it.

They Probably read the Daily Terrorgraph & think its Gospel.

Packy

Bench
FMD good article but do we as a community need some one telling us just how men are over all, seriously why cant boys be boys and sheilas be well sheilas
There will be some people still talking about the differences between Men and Women in a hundred years and guess what it isn't going to change,Boys will still be Boys and Girls will be Girls.

You and me dont but a gazillion DT reading, 9 news watching, Tracy Grimjaw worshiping sheep do.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice to read a well written article for a change, maybe journalism isn't quite dead yet.

Raiderdave

First Grade
this week has been another exercise in tearing into our game & putting the boot in by people with agendas

as has been pointed out
the AFL has incidents far worse in 2012... yet barely an eye brow was raised

I don't mind jurnos & the media telling our sport & its players to pull its head in occaisionally when this sort of thing happens

but their credibility goes out the window when they do not spark up with the same level of outrage when its NOT RL clubs or players

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

That speaks volumes for you. Rather read a short, crudely put together piece about how bad league players are? Sorry this disappointed.

Very good article from someone who is seemingly a clear-headed, non-tabloid media representative and able to see the whole picture.

If DUI is whinging about RL administration she needs only look to her best mate Gallop for the best example of incompetence.

Not that a player biting someone or another player telling a woman to suck him off is anything to do with the administration of the game.

Knightmare

Coach
Bourbon Beccy's article was a thinly veiled swipe at the ARLC, nothing else. Obviously if people like her and Slothfield are getting pissed off at the ARLC, they are doing something right...