What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Not held"?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Seemed ok to me, There was still motion in the play!

I believe the tackled player was breathing, yes. Other than that, motion was Stonehenge-esque.

I hate the whingers who get on here and blame the ref straight after their side lose. To be fair, we were the second best team today. We didn't deserve to win.

But that's a momentum changer, and it was a mud call. He was held for all intents and purposes, no idea why the ref didn't blow the whistle. We had a similar one a few weeks ago (can't remember who it was against...Melbourne actually, I think) where Berrigan was still moving forward, threw an offload and was penalised as he threw it simultaneous to the ref calling held.

mave

Coach
Watching the game, (and although not actually hearing the ref call "held"), I was expecting a penalty to the Dragons for the Warriors holding on too long.

ironhorse

Juniors
Not the first time this year they got away with that ...i think it was beau scott then also too , unbeleivable ...

Perth Red

Post Whore
In a season where everyone has their knickers in a twist about 3rd man running into tackles it is ridiculous the ref let the player stand for so long. Partly the Warriors fault, their No15 had a free cheap shot and he should have taken it if the ref is going to leave a player dangling like that.

My Morning Coat

Juniors
Im a warriors supporter,I thought there was a delay in the held call but you play to the ref and not what you think he is about to call btw It didnt cost us the game stupid errors did.

innsaneink

Referee
Play to the whistle...or call in this case...Warriors players turned their backs, a big no-no and something youre taught as a kid never to do

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Not the first time this year they got away with that ...i think it was beau scott then also too , unbeleivable ...

Wasn't it Jon Green today?

Anyway, yeah I'm actually changing my tune. Held is held when called 'held'. Our forwards tried to steal a split second by pre-empting it, and turned their backs. It wasn't, Gasnier struck, boom. play to the whistle.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Play to the whistle...or call in this case...Warriors players turned their backs, a big no-no and something youre taught as a kid never to do

Exactly, simple as that. Warriors fans should be more concerned about blowing a 10-nil lead than a call like that.

If if had been play on for another side, there wouldn't be a thread dedicated to this.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If the situations were reversed, I'd be yelling at my side for not playing to the whistle. Schoolboy stuff.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
To be fair if it was reversed there would also be a lot of Dragons fans whinging about the ref not calling held.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Of course. But note that not too many of the people whinging are Warriors fans. ;-)

And no-one's complaining about how the Warriors inexplicably got the feed to s scrum when it should've been our feed and then scored in that set.

Winners can smile and losers can please themselves...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
To be fair if it was reversed there would also be a lot of Dragons fans whinging about the ref not calling held.
Rubbish. We copped a ton of poor calls in recent weeks, today was no exception - it was one penalty after another. At the end of the day, a good team beats a bad ref.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
For mind Scott wasn't moving there should have been a held call, so play the ball not pass it, hence why some of the Warriors let him go and he passed it, but it seemed like his momentum had stopped entirely. It should have been a penalty either way.

But its sort of similar to the Taylor try vs the Titans earlier in the year, when he raced away, got tackled the Titans players slid straight off, Taylor, got up looked around and ran around to score. Referee didn't call it held then either but some claimed he had a hand laid on him.

Of course winners will say it was fine, and those who don't win are annoyed, but to say you're ok and its play on just shows you only want these type of calls to go your way. As much as I like my teams to win anyway possible I don't like seeing half hearted ruling by officials in games. Make up your mind ref. Ie if the Warriors weren't got let Scott go, penalise them otherwise tell him to play the ball properly. Then we wouldn't have average decisions like this regardless of who wins in the end

Southernsaint

Staff member
If memory serves, Nathan Blacklock was penalised for "playing the ball when he wasn't held" against the Warriors back in the early 00's...