What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Singing the Anthem

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Silly song anyways.

Girt...

BTW the Southern Cross is visible from anywhere in the southern hemisphere.

Australia does not own it..

So many do not know this.

Makes me angry fact 540039890.

Saxon

Bench
I don't know that I want to live in a country where you are punished for not singing the national anthem.

I really don't want to live in a country where you are punished for not singing the national anthem before a football game.

(Besides, it's a rubbish song)

The Marshall

Juniors
I really hope the media don't whip this up into a similar story like the kneeling in the NFL. Its not like its compulsory to sing the anthem anyway.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Silly song anyways.

Girt...

BTW the Southern Cross is visible from anywhere in the southern hemisphere.

Australia does not own it..

So many do not know this.

Makes me angry fact 540039890.
Although visible elsewhere in the southern hemisphere and "Australia does not own it" the southern cross is very significant to Australia. It designated to European explorers they were headed for the southern land. It was also of great importance for thousands of years to Aboriginal astronomy and cosmology.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Always going to be 1 or 2 not singing before a sporting match. No deeper meaning behind it just some people don't feel like doing it before kickoff. Their preference, the gluten free vegan PC patrol will do their best to make something out of it

Springs09

Juniors
I don't sing it either.

But the calls for a different anthem for the indigenous are a bit much. They aren't a different country and if you are an Australian it represents you like it or not (which I don't, it's not a great song). There's nothing offensive in it, it's generic as all hell, it's only been the anthem since 1984. It's also not as simple as including a verse in an indigenous language like the NZ anthem as we have about 300 indigenous languages and about 50 of those are still around.