What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not the Pirates?

Hindyscrack

Bench
Ran in the Michael Searle on Friday night before the game, interesting thing to come out of a brief chat, the Pirates name has a major issue which may see it put on the scrap heap. The association with Pirates and raping and pillaging presenting a bad image.

Lets see what happens

DIEHARD

----
Hindyscrack said:
Ran in the Michael Searle on Friday night before the game, interesting thing to come out of a brief chat, the Pirates name has a major issue which may see it put on the scrap heap. The association with Pirates and raping and pillaging presenting a bad image.

Lets see what happens

Oh come on...

What about the Raiders? Raping and pillaging is all the Vikings did, no offence to Vikings reading this. I wish people would stop over analysing things.

Nothing will be more important than public opinion and with that the Pirates are #1.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see why they have a to copy a name from some other sporting team, its a great chance for some one to come up with an original name.

DIEHARD

----
Twizzle said:
I don't see why they have a to copy a name from some other sporting team, its a great chance for some one to come up with an original name.

Feel free to make a suggestion.

All the truely good Aussie nicknames are taken.

Bushrangers
Red Backs
Brumbies
Taipans
Crocodiles

Coaster

Bench
Other names are

Gold Coast Dingos
Gold Coast Goannas
Gold Coast Gaiters
Gold Coast Borders

Yeah i know i hate them also

Pirates for me

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There are plenty of good original Aussie names, trying to think of one that is relevenet to the GC is the tricky bit.

Jae

Juniors
I agree with Twizzle, Gold Coast Pirates is pretty rubbish. Reminds me too much of the Hunter Mariners aswell.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
RainMan said:
Gold Coast Twizzles!

well that would be original, and I am native to the area, but very hard to say when you've had a few :alcho:

ThrashViking

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
What about the Raiders? Raping and pillaging is all the Vikings did, no offence to Vikings reading this.
Thrash Vikings are a friendly bunch who chose not to be assosiciated with ordinary generic Vikings or Raiders.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Twizzle said:
There are plenty of good original Aussie names, trying to think of one that is relevenet to the GC is the tricky bit.
Stingrays are indigenous to the GC and if you've had the good fortune to see a big one up close and personal, they are pretty awesome creatures.

nqboy

First Grade
I agree the logo should be relevant to the Gold Coast so for me, the Pirates/Corsairs/Buccaneers and so on are all no good. The Stingrays sounds like a local netball or indoor cricket team to me. I still favour the GC Suns or the GC Surge.

Raider_69

Post Whore
DIEHARD said:
Oh come on...

What about the Raiders? Raping and pillaging is all the Vikings did, no offence to Vikings reading this. I wish people would stop over analysing things.

Nothing will be more important than public opinion and with that the Pirates are #1.

agreed
people over analysis sh*t like this

A case like that can be made for just about every team.

It's political correctness gone overboard :roll: but having said that, I'm indifferent to the Pirates name. Just calling them Gold Coast is probably the better option. We have a club with no geographic affiliation in their name, why can't we have a club with no nickname?