What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now that Lyon is out.........

Benji Magic

Juniors
What do we do now?
OK so Tahu keeps his spot but surely Cooper has to go.
Idris, Lawrence, Josh Morris, maybe Beau Champion???

Cooper is right up there with McManus, Quinn & Turner as the worst selection of the Bellyache era.

I hope Barrett doesn't get back in but with these selectors who knows?
I would prefer Campese over Bird.

Must give the younger brigade a go

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Id bring in Jennings to be honest. Barrett to five eight (id rather Carney or Campese, but not to save the series in at Suncorp)

I don't get the hate with Cooper, he's our best defensive centre and as far as I'm concerned, didn't play poorly at all in the first match before his injury.

Anyway, with Lyon out, I'd pick Beau Champion since he's the next best right centre. Jennings and Idris concern me with their defence, and Jennings is too much of an individual player (he creates the chances himself, not because of his teammates) and probably wouldn't be the best fit in origin if he plays outside a dominant half.

abpanther

Staff member
and Jennings is too much of an individual player (he creates the chances himself, not because of his teammates) and probably wouldn't be the best fit in origin if he plays outside a dominant half.

Where the f**k do you pull out sh*t like this from? Jennings scored a very nice try yesterday where he sat on the outside shoulder of our 'dominant half' and chased through a grubber for a try, one that he didn't create himself. He's been setting up tries all year.

If you wanna leave him out of the side because of his defensive issues then so be it, but people now questioning his attack are just making sh*t up.

Seriously :roll:

gronkathon

First Grade
Tahu was just as rubbish as Cooper in Origin 1.

My bias says Jennings and Lawrence to the centres

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Cooper is a myth.

Jennings and Lawrence for mine. Queue the "Jennings can't defend" brigade. Load of sh*t.

Spot On

Coach
What do we do now?

Cooper is right up there with McManus, Quinn & Turner as the worst selection of the Bellyache era.

I'd like to know why. What he has done to deserve a shot a origin over some of the other centres being mentioned in this post? There are much better options at the moment.

simmo1

First Grade
Cooper is a myth.

Jennings and Lawrence for mine. Queue the "Jennings can't defend" brigade. Load of sh*t.

Agree.

Jennings is a definite game-breaker capable of scoring from anywhere. Really can't see Cooper or Tahu doing this. People can't fault his attacking flair, so they naturally assume his defence mustn't cut it. Its not the best in the NRL, but he is a more than capable defender.

People wanted to see Brett Morris get more ball in the first game, then I think Lawrence would be ideal for the left centre spot. He is very good at setting up his outside winger, just look at all the tries Tuiaki and Tuqiri have scored in the past couple of years.

Benji Magic

Juniors
What do we do now?

I'd like to know why. What he has done to deserve a shot a origin over some of the other centres being mentioned in this post? There are much better options at the moment.

I'm not saying Tahu should be there but theres no way he'll get dropped.

Spot On

Coach
I'm not saying Tahu should be there but theres no way he'll get dropped.

Yeh, I wasn't referring to you but the selectors. Personally I don't see how he is an auto pick in the centres for NSW. I don't know how they came to that conclusion. It seems as though they picked him on the form he showed late in the season the year before the fool went to union because for mine he is not in the picture with the other centres we could choose from.

RedVfaithful

Juniors
Cooper is a myth.

you obviusly havent watched origin for long, cooper has always stepped up for origin. he didnt play bad in game 1 either, considering he played injured and only played half a game. Cooper has deserved his spot this year and every other year, he has ben the best nsw centre this year.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
you obviusly havent watched origin for long, cooper has always stepped up for origin. he didnt play bad in game 1 either, considering he played injured and only played half a game. Cooper has deserved his spot this year and every other year, he has ben the best nsw centre this year.

:lol:

Did nothing in game one except drop it cold three times. Doesn't deserve a spot over other candidates for the position.

gronkathon

First Grade
Coopers problem is that he rushed up and in too hard too many times and Thurston & lockyer read him ike a book. Tahu was the same.

It is why they could open NSW up on the edges alot

RedVfaithful

Juniors
:lol:

Did nothing in game one except drop it cold three times. Doesn't deserve a spot over other candidates for the position.

He only dropped it once ro twice, he was playing injued for 20 minutes of the half. cooper always steps up for origin so how can u say he is a myth, yeah he didnt play great in game 1 but i think he deserves another shot

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Another shot? How many shots has he had?

When has he stepped up? I must be watching different games because he has done nothing out of the ordinary.

badav

Bench
Cooper is a myth.

Coopers a great defensive center, has origin experience, and has played in winning origin sides.

And there is nothing mythical about Jenning's defensive shortfalls. You only ever watched him with the ball in hand before or something? His positional play and tackling technique are both poor. If you can't see this, your deadset blind.

And Chris Lawrence? His defense ain't improved that much since an unfit and over the hill Tonie Carroll steamrolled him 5 times in one game. How do you think he's going to cope in origin?

Last edited:

simmo1

First Grade
And Chris Lawrence? His defense ain't improved that much since an unfit and over the hill Tonie Carroll steamrolled him 5 times in one game. How do you think he's going to cope in origin?

lol.

His defence has improved out of sight. One of the best defensive centres in the game at the moment, and one of very few with a great attacking game to compliment it.