What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now that's a performance !

RedVDave

First Grade
Very happy with the performance, let's hope we can start becomming a consistent footy team this year.

Slackboy72

Coach
The big difference tonight was fitness.

Last week we played 'soft' for ten minutes in the first half and the first twenty of the second half.
For that half hour the raiders outscored us 4 tries to 1.
When we go 'soft' our line speed drops, we give away plenty of cheap metres, we miss tackles and let the opposition offload because we don't get enough tacklers to the ball runner. 50 metere sets turn into 70 and 80 for the opposition.
In attack we get smashed in the contact and we get smothered in the ruck. 60 metre sets turn in to 40 and 30 metre sets.

This week we were soft for about ten minutes resulting in the soft try to their forward.

Just take a look at Soward's tackling last week compared to tonight.

v canberra 7 tackles, 6 missed.
v cronulla 5 tackles, 0 missed.

That's fitness and attitude.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
We were really behind the 8 ball with the referees tonite. We threw one genuine forward pass all game and were called back for a number of fair passes. The tackle that injured Carney was at least a metre for ward to him, the worst forward pass all night and not blown! It was as if the refs seemed to be looking to hit us with rubbish penalties. The one where Gallen got tackled and then got up pushed forward low under our marker was so obviously milked it was embarassing.

What about Luke Lewis drop it cold getting up then soccered the ball forward, chased it then heeled it back.. er play on. Nighty was tackled and grabbed before he could get a catch on the ball during that try opportunity in the 1st half off the Soward kick.

I hope the club really dishes it out in the match report and protests. That was ordinary tonite and we deserve better. Phew! Otherwise I am happy.
And the scum players even gave themselves up.

Shit happens, and it was a case of a good team beating bad refs.

Nevertheless, it is refreshing to see a fellow supporter backing the players over the refs again.

64 Dragon

Coach
Don't care how or why the players did it. I AM JUST ECSTATIC THAT WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO THE MIGHTY DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saint.nick

Coach
lol. Sorry saint.nick. Makes sense now.

All good! A few sharks teenagers responded by hurling abuse at us for a minute, until a few of our own rushed down to have a swing. Poor sharks bastards were the only ones kicked out :lol:

getsmarty

Immortal
Wow..what an effort. Well done boys..showed real pride in the Mighty Red V... I hope we can build on this performance. Really important to go back to back for confidence.

FlameThrower

Bench
Great result, different attitude, attack mixed with different options, proud Dragons Fan! Nightengale up there already in 2013 highlight package for most spectacular try......

Willow

Assistant Moderator
All good! A few sharks teenagers responded by hurling abuse at us for a minute, until a few of our own rushed down to have a swing. Poor sharks bastards were the only ones kicked out :lol:
lol. Some things never change.

Did they throw tennis balls at you?

blacksafake

First Grade
Great effort tonight,about time they showed some enthusiasm for long periods of the game.Their line speed was also an improvement.Also about bloody time Merrin started the game I hope price keeps it that way he is wasted sitting on the bench at he start.

hardbaby

Coach
It will be interesting to see if the guys can play tough 2 games in a row. Pretty sure we are at home. Big chance to beat the Knights.

What I saw tonight backed up what I have said all off season.
We have a quality pack with 2 of the best young hookers in the game, take away the dumb errors and mind lapses we will win games. We have a good enough engine room so long as they stand up and lay the platform consistantly we will be fine, good signs going on tonight.

God-King Dean

Immortal
The highlight for me was seeing Soward take a hit-up off a tap lol.

Even if we lost, I'd still be happy about how they played ad-lib footy. Refreshing.

People talk about our halves, but our pack needs some size. Disturbing how easy teams are getting into our half.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Massive improvement from last week. Some crap calls by the ref, and a period of 5 minutes in the second half we're our marker defence was non-existent...I think shortly after that fifita scored. Our backs jumped in really well in the go forward too. Good signs!

Agree with the comment re our marker defence....when they started to gain momentum up the guts I was starting to get concerned.....Im sure Bennett /Buderus noticed this as well......hopefully so did Price and will fix the problem before next round.......

W.Smith

Juniors
how good was that performance ? and the atmosphere was brilliant, th Dragonfans sat together had me smilimg all nite with their chants n singing etc and winning at Shark Park was a beauty of allplaces to ope the account for 2013

effort couldnt be questioned, evn the couple times STGI seemed to be slipping back to the first 3 weeks stuff someone took it upon therselves toget them back on track and it was awwsom to watch !!

i thought Flo and Moz were brilliant as were Sowy n Fiensy but i was reral pleased to see Cooper digging in and having a crack hitting the pig up a cpl times but for mine Mez was the man again, ver pumped to see Stocky get a lot of minutes and thankful Pricey didntgo with that Merrin off the bench/AhMau starting crap

the shape/variations n look of our attack most the nite xcites me to see if we can maintain it and advance it, so good to see something different than sweeps/blocks etc, cant wait til Kogarah @Sundy !!!

Twenty10

Juniors
No it wasn't. We've shown signs of this since round one.

The main difference tonight was that the team stuck to game plan for the entire 80 minutes.

Not too different to the game plan that we saw in the first half in round two. More offloads, more backs taking the first hit ups, more fast ruck movements up the middle.

To say it was from 'left field' shows that you haven't been watching.

The turning point came at around the 62-63 minute. You tell me what happened then.

It's great we won, BUT we got off the hook as well. Deserved the win no doubt about that and we were the better team but in reality sharks were woeful, they lost carney, and it was an against the run of play 80 metre try from Soward and 2 absolute freaky pieces of play from nightingale that won the game. Sharks on their day would have probably at least drawn level. The 2 forward passes from dummy half should have lost us the game against a team that was on. The reaction from king on twitter after the game shows the attitude of the squad.

Sorry to burst your bubble willow, but as usual you are getting over excited. We have been terrible the last few weeks. Disgraceful actually.

Latest posts