What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL’s new refereeing policy aimed at minimising stoppages and rewarding attacking teams

Tommy Smith

Referee
It will open the defence up for McCullough to use his attacking prowess.........yeah I couldn’t keep a straight face
You stole my joke.

I was about to comment how Seibold must be excited at the prospect of free flowing footy until he remembers that McCullough is now his no.9, not Damien Cook.

I'm sure his "tactical periodisation" and rap music at training will do the trick though.

Tommy Smith

Referee
So it will have the total opposite effect. Get ready for a top 3 of Melbourne, Easts and Cronulla again
So not only is Vic the only one who apparently understood what the hell Annesely was saying; but it naturally somehow benefits the Storm & Roosters :D

That's Storm-Roosters Derangement Syndrome right there.

I reckon these changes will also lead to Boyd Cordner scoring 20 tries.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'm not sure what's happening here.

I understand the individual words that Analsley said, but formed together it's like some sort of gibberish that you need some sort of decryption software to make sense of.

Valheru

Coach
So not only is Vic the only one who apparently understood what the hell Annesely was saying; but it naturally somehow benefits the Storm & Roosters :D

That's Storm-Roosters Derangement Syndrome right there.

I reckon these changes will also lead to Boyd Cordner scoring 20 tries.

There is a myth perpetuated around here that when the refs were told to stop nit picking after round 11 last year our results started to improve. The reality is that Robbo said in a press conference after ANZAC Day (RD8) that he would change the way the team played, which he did and our results improved from there, a full 3 weeks before the reffing changed.

The above doesn't fit the LU "It just isn't fair" narrative where the roosters are concerned though.

2 weeks

Coach
I reckon Annesely will sell his vision to the clubs and the meeting will end like this

1E1l3pvNTZNY0uweHglkk9T7td3bKjZj6kdi4NghnDjUv8jU4Pwrs36M82NnEmxUOUATqtOIRPDbBQKXvzBhkhaN4AXMolmBBfy_Tzpczyw9Uw=w438-h336-nc

adamkungl

Immortal
Haha how is anyone having a take away other than this
Annesley just put on a f**king clinic of how an NRL official could spit corporate garbage. He said absolutely nothing of any note.

It's very simple.

Referees will be flexible, but not let any rule breaking go.
They'll be promoting open play, but not doing anything different to last year.
They'll be allowing the game to flow, but not allowing anyone to push the boundaries.
Just playing whats in front of them. Like they've always been doing. But better.

What's not to understand? :rolleyes:

(f**kwits)

TheRam

Coach
What a weird statement. How are the refs going to show leniency to attacking teams? Not call forward passes or knock ons? Not call markers offside? What is this leniency he speaks of? I can imagine the conversations with the coaches lol.

Get rid of scrums, allow quick taps and only allow two in the tackle. That will speed things up no end!

What is means is the play the ball will be compromised in favour of the attacking team. You know just like before the clamp down. Barely a foot to the ball.

Some things I heard they might be doing :

1 point try if ball grounded short of the line...a discretionary 50cm "pre try line" try line if you will

Catches dropped by FB diffusing a bomb in own 20m now paid as a mark.

Forward pass from dummy half legitimised - has been "unofficial" for years.

A fisted forward pass permitted by any attacker to their own offside player within their own defensive half.

A half way bounce to replace kick offs after try and succesful penalty conversions.

7 point try. 3 point penalty. 2 point conversion. 2 point FG outside 40m. 1 point FG inside 40 m. 5 point FG if kicked in designated FG corners at try line cornerposts. 10 point FG if kicked from within in goal. 4 point FG if thrown NFL style from ourside 20m

Cross court introduced. Pass half way in attack and you cannot pass back in to your defensive half.

Sheparding / obstruction legal.

No ankle socks.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
NRL 2018 "We're actually gonna enforce the rules"
Fans "REFS ARE RUINING THE GAME"
NRL 2019 "Uhhh... we're not gonna enforce the rules? Is that what you freaks want?"
Fans
View attachment 26716
To be fair, the media had a big part in it. Gus and Joey whingeing about the penalties at every opportunity made it a lot worse. Although I found the amount of penalties annoying, I was okay with it because THEY WERE PENALITES! I think teams were just starting to actually play by the rules when they scrapped it and went back only penalising when it felt right.

I would put up with another six months of over officiating if it meant teams would play by the rules.

How they don’t realise this only going to annoy fans even more when one team gets penalised for an infringement when another team gets off

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think teams were just starting to actually play by the rules when they scrapped it and went back only penalising when it felt right.

I would put up with another six months of over officiating if it meant teams would play by the rules.

This is the thing!!! And we forget it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!!!

Its not important how the refs behave, what is important is how the players/coaches react.

It the refs are lenient, players will break the rules more. If refs are strick, players will be more careful. But, whatever it is, it will take time. (So the refs being lenient will give the game a sugar hit for a few weeks before the coaches figure it out how to take advantage and ruin it)

I dont understand why this is such a hard idea to remember...

TheFrog

Coach
Annesley said:
“We want more attacking and enjoyable football that will lure people through the gates and increase television ratings,”
If more tries equalled a superior spectacle, we'd be watching touch football.

TheFrog

Coach
Let the game flow and you will be rewarded.

The NRL is visiting all 16 clubs to reveal a new policy where referees will show on-field discretion for teams that employ an open and attractive game plan.
I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he discusses this with Gus.