What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL’s new refereeing policy aimed at minimising stoppages and rewarding attacking teams

Iafeta

Referee
I reckon Annesely will sell his vision to the clubs and the meeting will end like this

1E1l3pvNTZNY0uweHglkk9T7td3bKjZj6kdi4NghnDjUv8jU4Pwrs36M82NnEmxUOUATqtOIRPDbBQKXvzBhkhaN4AXMolmBBfy_Tzpczyw9Uw=w438-h336-nc

We are taking the excitement of our game to new markets like Ogdenville, Brockway and New Haverbrook

RufusRex

Post Whore
In the attacking 20, when the defence gives a penalty away restart the count and call advantage.
Keep that going - if there is another breach then restart the count and maintain advantage.

If they dont get to six tackles give the penalty .. if they complete a full set then advantage over.

That is an obvious way to reward an attacking team and allow them to maintain pressure. The cynical give a penalty away to break the play down costs teams.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
In the past this would have been something all the clubs would have been brought together as a preaseason seminar to discuss with any other actions, changes, complaints etc for an open forum to go through. Only for Bennett to refuse to go to and spend the year whinging about all of it

T-Boon

Coach
One thing the refs could do to promote attacking football or at least demote 4/5 hitups and a kick is get a lot harder on dummy half forward passes. Presently they could be calling about 15/20 a game.
They pass flat so that can get every inch out the hit up, often in doing so they pass forward and get away with it, this makes the strategy of hitting the ball up a lot very worth while because they gain good metres with zero risk.
I would er on the side of calling the "flat" dummy half passes forward.

Springs09

Juniors
A load of worthless buzzwords that will have every referee confused as hell as to what they are supposed to be doing when. If our RA boss told me to do what Annesley just said I would have no idea.

Referees will be instructed to be flexible during matches and not adopt a “one-size-fits-all” policy.

Get ready for every single fan complaining that the refs aren't consistent.

MilkShark

First Grade
One thing the refs could do to promote attacking football or at least demote 4/5 hitups and a kick is get a lot harder on dummy half forward passes. Presently they could be calling about 15/20 a game.
They pass flat so that can get every inch out the hit up, often in doing so they pass forward and get away with it, this makes the strategy of hitting the ball up a lot very worth while because they gain good metres with zero risk.
I wouldn't say they are getting huge advantages out of it at all. It's much harder to gain metres up the middle now with the defense up in your face so quickly.

T-Boon

Coach
I wouldn't say they are getting huge advantages out of it at all. It's much harder to gain metres up the middle now with the defense up in your face so quickly.

Disagree. A 4 hit up set gets you 40 metres on average.

The Rosco

Bench
While you have a very valid point, may I suggest just 2 words why this will never happen.
1...Cameron.
2...Smith.

T-Boon

Coach
Disagree, a 4 hit up sets get you 40m only when you have momentum.

There are very few forwards in the game making 10m a run.

Ok.
Thats when you see these flat/forward PH passes. When the team has momentum.
I would make the rule that the ball has to go backwards from the dummy half. Flat is forward.

bileduct

Coach
So has anyone figured out how this new policy is being implemented yet?

The only change I've seen in refereeing so far this year is calling any kind of fumble a knock on, irrespective of the ball going forwards or backwards.

thorson1987

Coach
So has anyone figured out how this new policy is being implemented yet?

The only change I've seen in refereeing so far this year is calling any kind of fumble a knock on, irrespective of the ball going forwards or backwards.

That's been the case for a few years now but it's really noticeable this year.

bileduct

Coach
That's been the case for a few years now but it's really noticeable this year.
I think in recent seasons we've seen anything that's marginal called a knock on, but this year there's stuff that has clearly gone backwards getting pulled up.