What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 Apology

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Anyone else see this prior to the test Saturday night? thought it was strange so i took a pic of it.

Obviously it was to do with the Slater hearing... not particularly effective apology if it doesn't mention specifics of what was said or what journalist (i use the term lightly ) it pertained to...

upload_2018-10-15_10-59-47.png

Fire

First Grade
Anyone recall what was said?
The FOX journalists kept remarking about how the NRL's counsel was 'third-string' (i.e., the NRL's usual prosecutor was away, then the second counsel the NRL engaged wouldn't do it), or, something to that effect.

I thought it was weird because when they mentioned the NRL's counsel I immediately looked him up...

...Lo Surdo S.C. is clearly qualified and competent at his job. His information can be found, here: http://www.12thfloor.com.au/barristers/senior-counsel/anthony-lo-surdo-sc.html

Put it this way, if I needed someone to advocate for me regarding a commercial dispute I would not hesitate to engage Lo Surdo to help me.

So I'm happy Lo Surdo has approached FOX to apologise.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree on that. Any jurnos or presenters have to be very careful what they say on air and cant be disputing something before they have all the facts.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I love how it's some ambiguous on screen message and not Kent getting his stupid head on TV to apologize himself. The gutless merkin.

Fire

First Grade
I love how it's some ambiguous on screen message and not Kent getting his stupid head on TV to apologize himself. The gutless merkin.
Kent would be covered by FOX's employee insurance.

Believe me, there's nothing ambiguous about the way FOX worded that on-screen statement.

FOX is lucky (it appears) Lo Surdo only asked for an apology. My guess is he probably has more pressing business with his private practice, but he could pursue an action for defamation if he wanted to.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/15/nrl-statement-re-judiciary/

NRL Media Release
Mon 15 Oct 2018, 03:48 PM
The NRL today issued a statement in response to Fox League's apology.

A spokesman said criticism of the NRL's independent judiciary process and of its Judiciary Counsel, Anthony Lo Surdo SC, on the NRL 360 program was unfair and unwarranted.

Unwarranted criticism of the Judiciary undermines the integrity of the process and those who appear before it. The role of the Judiciary Counsel is to act independently, impartially and fairly without fear or favour, affection or ill-will. We will continue to engage the best legal minds in the Country to ensure the integrity and independence of the Judiciary process.

Mr Lo Surdo is a Senior Counsel at the NSW Bar. He enjoys an exemplary reputation across the country as a commercial silk and as an advanced mediator and independent arbitrator.

He is experienced appearing before the NRL Judiciary and has worked in sports arbitration at the highest levels, including internationally as an Arbitrator of the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"Mr Lo Surdo is a highly qualified and skilled legal representative in sports law who was ideally suited for the NRL judiciary process," the spokesman said.

insert.pause

First Grade
I said it at the time, kent went off on his usual ignorant anti-NRL rant. Only a special kind of moron slanders a lawyer on national tv.

Kent & Ikin have labelled the NRL’s prosecuter “Third String”, despite being the back up and having successfully prosecuted several judiciary cases this year and Kent said “there’s Dennis Denuto prosecuting the case”.

Maybe he can show them how good he is by suing them for defamation?

Chimp

Bench
You apparently can slander a lawyer if you are a News employee, and retain your job ,but you dare slander or bag a News journalist and there is merry hell to pay.
That's the biggest hypocrisy in this. Karrrnts