What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

TheRam

Coach
Poor Megan gets stuck with Tim and Spud. Ffs Spud!

Spud and Blocker have to be close to the two dumbest and worst sidekick commentators in sports history.

Spud especially irks me when his is constantly and I mean constantly reminiscing about his good old glory days.

Jeez I would love it if someone at FOX did a Packer and picked up the phone and said to them all the next idiot who refers to any yesteryear crap won't be working here no more and hang up.

It's bad enough they are dross analysts, but the constant not so funny historical anecdotes and crappy bravado statements are killing me.

TheRam

Coach
*They agree that Manly was dudded though.

That's because they are idiots though.

The reason Manly had a 9-2 penalty against is simple. When they come out all intense and determined to be aggressive in defense well that means, coming off your line early, spoiling tactics and holding down a little longer in the ruck penalties will follow.

So they can consider themselves very lucky that the refs are whistle shy and that they only had 9 against them.

As for the tackle that gave us a penalty and allowed us to win the game. It hit him in the head. Irrespective of whether it was an accident and that he was trying to stop someone from scoring a try and the nonsensical, 'what was he meant to do in a circumstance like that' argument? I'll tell you what he was meant to do, always be cognizant of where the players head is and even though it was tight he just had enough time to adjust and go lower. But stopping the try in his mind was more important then the opposing players safety. So a penalty was the only action the ref could take and sufficient under the circumstances.

Thems the rules. Hit someone in the head and some form of penalties will follow. It's not a mystery rule.

That's because they are idiots though.

The reason Manly had a 9-2 penalty against is simple. When they come out all intense and determined to be aggressive in defense well that means, coming off your line early, spoiling tactics and holding down a little longer in the ruck penalties will follow.

So they can consider themselves very lucky that the refs are whistle shy and that they only had 9 against them.

As for the tackle that gave us a penalty and allowed us to win the game. It hit him in the head. Irrespective of whether it was an accident and that he was trying to stop someone from scoring a try and the nonsensical, 'what was he meant to do in a circumstance like that' argument? I'll tell you what he was meant to do, always be cognizant of where the players head is and even though it was tight he just had enough time to adjust and go lower. But stopping the try in his mind was more important then the opposing players safety. So a penalty was the only action the ref could take and sufficient under the circumstances.

Thems the rules. Hit someone in the head and some form of penalties will follow. It's not a mystery rule.
Just dropped by to say I agree totally. This fallacy that the referee needs to give the same number of penalties to each team is an argument put forward by a few of the coaches (Des, Robbo, Sticky) who coach their teams to push the boundaries of fair play.

In most cases, the penalty count reflects how well disciplined (or not) the team playing was.

TheRam

Coach
Just dropped by to say I agree totally. This fallacy that the referee needs to give the same number of penalties to each team is an argument put forward by a few of the coaches (Des, Robbo, Sticky) who coach their teams to push the boundaries of fair play.

In most cases, the penalty count reflects how well disciplined (or not) the team playing was.

Spot on mate. The coaches are masters of manipulation. When will we ever learn to never listen to their bull and call them out for all the crap that they initiate to destroy the product and spectacle that is RL?

Until we start to make coaches personally accountable for the penalty(ruck infringements) count with game suspensions and salary cap spend deductions, as I have written in detail in other posts, nothing will ever change.

But if we ever brought in a system like that, watch how quickly the game would be cleaned up and ruck infrngments would almost be a thing of the past.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I would even argue that discipline might be the wrong word for it. The Storm are the most penalised team in the comp this year. Knowing who their coach is I'm sure he could get them conceding far fewer penalties if he wanted to. But every penalty conceded represents a certain number that team got away with. It's all of those unawarded penalties that give the team an advantage. Bellamy knows this. Every coach does, but some teams are better suited to it than others. Three of the top five teams on the ladder are also in the top five for penalties conceded (per game).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I would even argue that discipline might be the wrong word for it. The Storm are the most penalised team in the comp this year. Knowing who their coach is I'm sure he could get them conceding far fewer penalties if he wanted to. But every penalty conceded represents a certain number that team got away with. It's all of those unawarded penalties that give the team an advantage. Bellamy knows this. Every coach does, but some teams are better suited to it than others. Three of the top five teams on the ladder are also in the top five for penalties conceded (per game).
Roosters have been the most penalised team for years under Robbo, just like Martina i'm sure he could fix that up if he really wanted too.

Roosters have been the most penalised team for years under Robbo, just like Martina i'm sure he could fix that up if he really wanted too.
The one thing I will say in Martina’s defense though; he very very rarely complains about the ref or the penalties his side gives away. It’s the cynical nature of the penalties and then the complaints about being victimised that drives my hatred for some of the coaches mentioned above.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
Spud and Blocker have to be close to the two dumbest and worst sidekick commentators in sports history.

Spud especially irks me when his is constantly and I mean constantly reminiscing about his good old glory days.

Jeez I would love it if someone at FOX did a Packer and picked up the phone and said to them all the next idiot who refers to any yesteryear crap won't be working here no more and hang up.

It's bad enough they are dross analysts, but the constant not so funny historical anecdotes and crappy bravado statements are killing me.
Spud is particular embarrassing when anyone other than smith or Jones he can’t (be bothered) to pronunce their name properly and makes a bit of joke of it. Our game needs better representation then morons

TheParraboy

Staff member
^^^

I watcehd it for 5 min tops

In that 5 min, Gal spoke the most and said QLD have got a great in form side to win the series but
he is tipping NSW (said it 3 times in 5 min)

Gazzamatta

Coach
And Gus made the comment that there have been nil applications for The Dogs job nor is he seeking any. He then added that the club is still getting over The Former Head Coach's resignation. Ffs Gus.