What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL - 36th Best player for 2017

Still Nutty

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/top-50-players-in-the-nrl-40-31/tabid/10874/newsid/111138/default.aspx

36. Dane Gagai (New entry)

The Newcastle Knights' only inclusion in our list, Gagai has excelled in a struggling team in recent seasons and his exploits at State of Origin level have been even more eye-catching – in 2017 he won the Wally Lewis Medal as Queensland's best player of a winning series, the first time a winger has taken out that award. A brilliant ball-runner capable of playing at fullback or in the outside backs, Gagai looks a quality recruit for the Rabbitohs next season.

Can we swap him for 50, 49, 48, 47, 46, 45, 44, 43, 42, 41, 40, 39, 38, 37....I have ALL of those in front of him on my pick.

What do others think?

Old dog

Juniors
The selection is obviously based on SOO form and not Newcastle, rates 36 on that which only makes his other efforts very poor.

perverse

Referee
I've rarely seen such obsession over the performances of a guy on his way out the door. It would at least have some merit if he didn't have 2 matches to go.

perverse

Referee
Maybe not. Don't see why it's merit less though
Primarily because there is nothing new to learn, observe or discuss. It's literally going over the same thing again, again and again.

Wait until he's at Souths giving poor performances. I'm sure there will still be a contingent from here stalking his progress, and it will be just as relevant and interesting to us then as it is now.

perverse

Referee
Venting of frustration has value in my experience
I can understand that in the moment, gameday threads, etc... but this is beyond venting. I should know, I've held a good grudge in the past. I hold one now against Plodko, but it ends when he's shown the door.

Whatever tbh, I've said a lot more than I intended to anyway. Carry on with the pissing and moaning. Please don't lock the thread before Spot has his say, I might at least get a chuckle.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Actually Pervy, I am not surprised he is the only Knight to make the list and, if they wanted to ensure full NRL representation, he is the logical choice from our squad based more on 3 games of Origin than anything to do with his club season (I'd have had Ross and probably Dafiti in front of him for mine) ....

And I know it's subjective but my main focus in the thread was to highlight and sleight the NRL 'reporter' who is clearly ranking them and has players like Nathan Cleary @ 50, Klemmer @ 47 (behind Wood @ at 37), Angus Crichton @ 46, Clint Gutherson @ 42, Valentine Holmes @ 41, etc.

I am flagging because I disagree with his rankings, not the fact that Dane got included at all...I used the link to Dane's nomination to give it relevance to a Knights forum but I thought the discussion around player rankings was of more interest in debating the merits of who ended up where than the fact Dane got included in the first place

Spot On

Coach
I've rarely seen such obsession over the performances of a guy on his way out the door. It would at least have some merit if he didn't have 2 matches to go.

Dunno, a few in here thought Kade Snowden was a gun.

I could never cop that.

Mullo - same.

Gags - see above.

Old dog

Juniors
List isn't fully released, should we dare to think that Dan and Ross might make it and i agree selection and order of is depending who is doing it.

Burwood

Bench
I can understand that in the moment, gameday threads, etc... but this is beyond venting. I should know, I've held a good grudge in the past. I hold one now against Plodko, but it ends when he's shown the door.

Whatever tbh, I've said a lot more than I intended to anyway. Carry on with the pissing and moaning. Please don't lock the thread before Spot has his say, I might at least get a chuckle.

So if Hodkinson was to announce his signing to another club mid 2018, but remain in first grade each week stinking out the joint, you'd suddenly stop bagging him because he'd been shown the door?

Spot On

Coach
So if Hodkinson was to announce his signing to another club mid 2018, but remain in first grade each week stinking out the joint, you'd suddenly stop bagging him because he'd been shown the door?

I wouldn't be. Especially when he's on 800K and won't kick the ball in general play.

And it would reach levels of hysteria in here if Hodko played 3 Origin games, won Man of the Greatest Rep Award in Human History and then came back to our club and looked like he should be in reggies.

A few would get their noses right out of joint.

perverse

Referee
I try to live by the philosophy of not worrying about things outside my (or in this instance the clubs) control. If he's been dealt with, then he's been dealt with and I move on. Whilst the club is backing him, I have a problem... But I think even you will admit that since Brown dropped him, even since he's been back, I have backed off on him yes. We haven't even sacked him yet. I'm now convinced that the club can see he isn't our future, that's enough for me.

So yeah, I absolutely assert that I would stop bagging him, because I already have.

So the only thing left with Dane is whether he's in our current best 17 at the moment. It's obvious that he is, and that the kids that would replace him are not ready yet, so there is literally nothing left to complain about... At least to my mind. Clearly I'm in the minority on this issue and have been all year. That's fine, but I would say that none of you that bag him have anything new or interesting to say.