What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Announce Grand Final Entertainment

Does the pre-game entertainment look good?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know. Have to wait and see.

• Total voters
The National Rugby League has announced an all-star line up to perform at the 2003 Telstra Premiership Grand Final on Sunday 5 October at Telstra Stadium.

Australian rock band the Hoodoo Gurus, whose signature anthem Thats My Team has been the theme for this years premiership, will headline the 20-minute spectacular.

Last year it was Billy Idol, this year Legendary Rock performer Meat Loaf will perform. US singing sensation Kelly Clarkson (never heard of her) will also star in the entertainment showcase.

Meat Loaf has entertained fans throughout the world for over 25 years and has some of the greatest rock and roll songs of all time in his repertoire. The acclaimed performer, who is flying to Australia especially to appear at the NRL Grand Final will perform his all time classic Bat Out Of Hell and launch a brand new single,Couldnt Have Said It Better.

Kelly Clarkson is an international sensation. Since winning the inaugural American Idol, Kelly has achieved widespread acclaim throughout the US, Australia and Asia. Her debut single Miss Independence was a number 1 hit in both Australia and the US.

Kelly will perform her hit and a headline a special Rugby League tribute to the greatest players of all time.

The shows Executive Producer, Brian Walsh said,The night promises to be one of the most spectacular shows we have produced for Rugby League in our 25 years of involvement.

It has all the ingredients of a memorable event. An international music legend, one of Australias most popular bands, a new singing sensation with a Number One hit and special effects to light the nights sky. It will complement what has been a landmark season for the NRL.

A special feature will be a salute to the greatest Kangaroo team of all time, with some of the legends of the game on stage as part of the tribute.

Tamazoid said:
We should invite Delta Goodrem to sing the national anthem. Piss the AFL people off too.

I doubt two GFs exactly fit in with cancer treatment. Seeing that she is going out with Jude Bolton from the Swans, her brother is in their development squad and she is generally known as a Swans fan, I doubt we would win that one.

miccle

Bench
Well, IMO the entertainment is extremely bad, except for the inclusion of the Hoodoo Gurus - those guys are perfect. IMO, we shouldn't get international "stars" like meat loaf and kelly clarkson. What would be more aussie than an NRL GF with Hoodoo Guru's, Powderfinger and Midnight Oil or something playing. That'd be tops.

miccle

Bench
Yeah... damn them for not allowing the rest of the world to think that we were all racist pricks!

Ultima

Juniors
Hehe.... The Oil's have broken up so that isn't really an option! Get Powder Finger, Silverchair, Crash Palace, etc out there :)

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

OVP

Coach
Meatloaf ??? grrrrrrrrrr nooooooooooooooooooooo !!

Oh just great !! :roll:

By the time one of his boring songs finishes, we could have watched 3 grades of footy ... ffs i hope they start his show a day early so i miss it :lol:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Nothing will top the disintegrating Optus television from the 1996 decider - Bring it back!!

Cheers,
Ben S.

Frenzy

Juniors
How many Australians perform at the Superbowl? At Wembley? At any National sporting final other than our own.

The presence of Meatloaf and Kelly whoever she is are insults to Australian talent.

Don't need 'em, don't want 'em.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yeah let's put on something that only appeals to Australians not the the big picture......the world!! :roll:

The NRL Grand Final will be shown into many country's & we want to put washed up bands who have been abysmal failures over seas!!

Im not entirely happy with Meat Loaf head lineing.....sure they have some great songs and world wide appeal but??.....if they don't play "Bat out of hell"...and yes it was a WORLD WIDE HIT!!.....unlike most Australian bands...then it's not worth them comming!!

Midnight Oil are a bunch of tree Huggers who where only in it for a quid...they will tell you otherwise...who have split up after a Australian tour playing in a majority of small RSL clubs

Hoodoo Gurus would still be looking for when there next gig will be at a local pub if it wasn't for Alan Wilson!!

Jimmy Barnes :roll: :roll: :roll: ....another washed up has been who was a pathetic failure over seas (appeal)!!

But?? then there's AC/DC......now this is Australian band with magnificent world wide appeal.....did the NRL try and even locate this band???....now this is the band we should be looking for to play at the NRL GF!!, also AC/DC music can be very appealing to the game of RL with it's rough around the edges persona and working class appeal!!

I still think the NRL could of wen't after Ozzy Osbourne or AC/DC.....Ozzy singing "Paranoid" or "Iron Man" would be an ideal song to sing at a NRL game & the world wide appeal of this bloke would of made the NRL GF a must see event for millions of Americans..Poms and other countries....the fringe benefit's could have been invaluable!!

SP

Bench
Hoodoo gurus: just for the "Thats My team" song i agree

but meatloaf and Kelly Clarkson, what a waste. id rather have Powderfinger (although i dont really like them, only 1 song, my happiness). or Silverchair.

JTR

Juniors
If the blokes out the back can manage to not trip over the power cord like they did last time then it should be good!

Razor

Coach
Frenzy said:
How many Australians perform at the Superbowl?

3 in the past 4 superbowls. They've used many Canadian and English acts as well. You see, unlike Australians, Americans aren't so egotistic to think that the world starts and ends with them. They want the best and if that means artists from outside the US, then so be it.

m not entirely happy with Meat Loaf head lineing.....sure they have some great songs and world wide appeal but

Meat Loaf is one singer, not a band. Meat Loaf is his stage name (forget his real name). He uses Meat Loaf in his movie roles as well. His band changes often, and will be using an Australian band at the GF - just him his coming.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree with Ron Jeremy surely a grand final entertainment has got to have someone to pump us before the big clash, really gets us excited and gets the crowd going. AC/DC would definatley get us pumped up before the big game, they are an awesome band and is one of the best Australian rock bands ever.

Hehe.... The Oil's have broken up so that isn't really an option! Get Powder Finger, Silverchair, Crash Palace, etc out there

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

I cant remember the last time the NRL or AFL grand final got someone overseas for their entertainment, besides Billy Idol which was a disaster. Yeah I agree lets have someone aussie. Grinspoon was great at the SOO why not have them again.

Anybody but bloody boring Meatloaf :roll:

iggy plop

First Grade
miccle said:
Yeah... damn them for not allowing the rest of the world to think that we were all racist pricks!

Yeah...the only racist pricks in the world hey - we are just such a bad country. Ever travelled off shore? We are saints compared to some others in da world.

anyway back to the league

Razor

Coach
PARRA_FAN said:
AC/DC would definatley get us pumped up before the big game, they are an awesome band and is one of the best Australian rock bands ever.

Oh please. ACDC suck. Their music is crap and won't do anything for the atmosphere. Meat Loaf's music will - his new song isn't very good, but BOOH is. Meatloaf plays proper rock. ACDC is Heavy Metal crap which doesn't appeal to anybody and certainly doesn't add atomosphere.

Johnny the Red said:
If the blokes out the back can manage to not trip over the power cord like they did last time then it should be good!

I may be wrong, but I think the official reason for the power failure last year was that Billy Idol's equipment was built for US power supply. When it was plugged in at Stadium Australia, it blew the fuses. Perhaps another reason to have an Australian act instead (beyond the fact that Meat Loaf sucks harder than a cheap hooker :roll: ).

Hass

Juniors
What a bunch of whingers.

The Grand Final isn't about the entertainment. It's about the football. There's nothing wrong with having some music from the Hoodoo Gurus, Meatloaf and Kelly Clarkson.

They are all professionals and I'd say they are all likely to do a good job.

Music is not a universal taste - different people like different music. As a result you can't please everybody. But I say you should just revel in the atmosphere of the night and enjoy whatever is served up.

If you could provide some ideas for the pre-match entertainment that were inventive then it would be worth listening to. However just suggesting your favourite band instead of the one's the NRL has signed is just silly.

P.S. AC/DC will never perform at a sporting event. They were approached to perform at the 2000 Olympics Closing Ceremony but declined because they believed that music didn't have a place at major sporting events. In their opinion the music should be the main event - not a support act.

Cheers.