What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL CEO's slam 9

Stonecutter

First Grade
NRL CEOs slam Channel Nine over favouritism

The Daily Telegraph
CHIEF executives from clubs including Penrith, Canberra and Cronulla have launched a scathing attack on the NRL broadcast arrangements that continually deny their clubs free-to-air coverage on Channel Nine.

The officials yesterday called for wholesale changes to the broadcast deal, labelling the current system "unfair".
The Knights, Sharks and Warriors were left furious on Tuesday when the NRL announced they would not have a single game shown on free-to-air television for at least the first seven rounds of the competition.
The Panthers and Raiders are also seething at being allocated only one Sunday match on Channel Nine in the first seven weeks.
"There needs to be equality across the board because it's not a level playing field at the moment," Sharks boss Richard Fisk said.
Fisk and Panthers CEO Michael Leary said they were sick of having Channel Nine repeatedly select clubs with broader commercial appeal for its Friday night and Sunday afternoon games.

Both stated the NRL must follow the AFL's example of giving clubs a guaranteed fair share of free-to-air game-time with a fixed season schedule.
Raiders chief executive Don Furner agreed it was essential for NRL boss David Gallop to push for a fairer allocation of free-to-air games in negotiations for the league's next broadcast rights deal, which is set to start in 2013.

They want action now, but are resigned to their clubs being a regular feature of Super Saturday on Fox until the NRL's contract runs out with Channel Nine at the end of the 2012 season.

In a sign of how rare a Friday or Sunday match is for the Raiders, Furner said his club was thrilled to get even one game shown on the more lucrative free-to-air broadcaster after going through 2009 with Fox Sports showing all but two Canberra games.

Last year, the Sharks, Roosters and Warriors all had less than six matches on Nine. The Broncos (18) and Dragons (15) had the most coverage.

"We bring it up with David Gallop and [chief operating officer] Graham Annesley every year but it's always the same thing," Furner said. "There has to be a minimum number of games we play [on free-to-air] each week. I'd set the number at eight or 10 so it's fair for everyone."

Leary said that the allocation of free-to-air games should be performance-based.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...over-favouritism/story-e6frexnr-1225842080206

Eion

First Grade
I found last year's wooden spooners boring to watch and yet they are on the first 7 of 8 weeks. If we were excitment machines the roosters would still get more.

jc155776

Coach
The Dragons are f**king boring to watch.

Granted they win, but so did we in 08, and we got no favours in regards to FTA.

What about LOL @ Soufs? They get amotza of FTA time, is it great to watch them get spanked every week?

wobbegong

Juniors
This has always bothered me!
Sponsors pay more money to clubs that are televised on free to air because they know they get more 'bang for their buck' - with more advertising.
(Can't blame them!)
But this is a MAJOR disadvantage to us - and once again, a case of the rich, getting richer.

Inferno

Coach
Will need more than a "scathing attack" from the ceos of Raiders, Pennies and Sharks before anything changes.

Ausguy

Coach
tomorrows chip wrapper... move on everyone, nothing to see here.

Seriously... win some games... thats all they should be worried about.

Quigs

Immortal
The sounds eminating from Bondi are deafening ... Can someone shut that whinging C0cks CEO up about not getting free to air.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Frailty

First Grade
The sounds eminating from Bondi are deafening ... Can someone shut that whinging C0cks CEO up about not getting free to air.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

I'm all for a roosters-bashing, particarly at Nick Politis, but they aren't complaining. It is the Warriors, Raiders, Sharks, Panthers, and Knights complaining.

The Roosters are going to get, as PM Krudd says, their "fair shake of the sauce bottle".

Eion

First Grade
merkins nine. hate their guts. hate the footy show, if they talk footy they only talk about the games on 9 - anasta last week, carney this week. hate grimshaws weird fat lips. hate scoop weidlers pube hair. hate gus. hate 'em all

Just thought Id go off on a bit of a tangent,...A couple of weeks ago I saw on the TV, some yawnion Nuffie proclaiming that the key to making that boring game popular in the USof A ,was to get it teliovised on their Public or Free TV to get a clique Fan Base .
This got my little brain to thinking .:-k.. Maybe if the Sharks could be Promoted in the Shires Sister cities in USA,Great britain ,Japan or whereever they could Increase the Fan base from the Shire .Even Bombard a few chosen areas of Country NSW , and Victorian , West Australian etc with Sharks propaganda ..... The NRL would be reluctant to Move /merge / deregister /etc A team with world wide popularity that was promoting the Game in so many places ,and getting some pockets of rabid fans all over .
Perhaps it is Grandiose and maybe even Unrealistic, But as one who became a fan while never living in the Shire , I do know it is possible to get fans from elsewhere.
As for Winning to get fans . Well yes but everyone loves an underdogs /Cinderella story and Surely the Sharks are sitting very well positioned for a Cinderella Story.Great to get in before it happens eh ?

Surely

Post Whore
As for Winning to get fans . Well yes but everyone loves an underdogs /Cinderella story and Surely the Sharks are sitting very well positioned for a Cinderella Story.Great to get in before it happens eh ?

We really need a few smelters in the shire.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Just thought Id go off on a bit of a tangent,...A couple of weeks ago I saw on the TV, some yawnion Nuffie proclaiming that the key to making that boring game popular in the USof A ,was to get it teliovised on their Public or Free TV to get a clique Fan Base .
This got my little brain to thinking .:-k.. Maybe if the Sharks could be Promoted in the Shires Sister cities in USA,Great britain ,Japan or whereever they could Increase the Fan base from the Shire .Even Bombard a few chosen areas of Country NSW , and Victorian , West Australian etc with Sharks propaganda ..... The NRL would be reluctant to Move /merge / deregister /etc A team with world wide popularity that was promoting the Game in so many places ,and getting some pockets of rabid fans all over .
Perhaps it is Grandiose and maybe even Unrealistic, But as one who became a fan while never living in the Shire , I do know it is possible to get fans from elsewhere.

How would that generate any $$?

The club needs dollars. It has too many debts and no money to service them. Nothing has been done, succesfully, to address this.

The only help having a fan base in Japan, USA, Calathumpia or Bidilonia is going to help is if the players gear and ground signage is filled with For Sale signs. Maybe someone will like the game and buy the club.

ratsack2

Juniors
so why dont we float the club, I am sure we could raise mega dollars if we did, how many of us suckers would depart with some hard earned to actually own a part of the club

Latest posts