What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Club Bias

Frailty

First Grade
Do you think the NRL shows favour to any particular clubs, or does the opposite and constantly on top of clubs?

The reason I bring this up is because it appears that the NRL refused to allow the Sharks to have Blades pay for a jersey sponsorship for more than one week:

"I didn't want to go blank on the weekend and Blades were happy to take the sponsorship each week until we got a major finalised," Irvine said.

"They took the jersey for the Leichhardt game but the NRL then said it could only be a one-off."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/troubled-former-shark-albert-kelly-hits-new-low/story-e6frexnr-1226298566703

Why does the NRL have a problem with the Sharks having a rollover sponsorship until a major one is announced? This will cost the Sharks money (apparently X Blades were paying front of jersey value for each week they were going to be on the front), and I can't help to think that if it were any other club they would not have an issue for it.

Would the oak fridge be an issue had it been the Broncos or Roosters?

Do you think there is a bias of the NRL?

Grapple

Bench
I don't know about sponsorship issues but I do know that according to Phil Gould there's nothing better than watching The Tigers play Sunday arvo footy at Leichhardt, Rabs.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Would the oak fridge be an issue had it been the Broncos or Roosters?

Do you think there is a bias of the NRL?

Yes, the fridge would have been a problem no matter what club had done it.

The bias in the NRL comes from the media themselves rather than the NRL. Channel 9 is prime candidate for bias.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Have to realise though the Telstra deal is worth how many tens of millions to the game and a club deal is worth a few million to one club. Neither are insignificant, rather they can and do work together at almost every other club

Doga

Juniors
The whole Oak thing was planned from the Start. Phil Gould and the NRL are laughing at all the suckers. great marketing.

Frailty

First Grade
Have to realise though the Telstra deal is worth how many tens of millions to the game and a club deal is worth a few million to one club. Neither are insignificant, rather they can and do work together at almost every other club

So why does the Sharks having a rolling membership on their jersey matter to the NRL?
They allow teams to wear Heritage jerseys, and pink jerseys, and indigenous jerseys every other week, but have a problem with a struggling team having a temporary sponsor until they sign a major sponsor?!

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
actually had one for lunch yesterday, usually buy ice break but the seed had been planted lol

betcats

Referee
Thats good work fellas, we want them to see a sales increase so they'll throw some more cash at the Panthers.

Patorick

Staff member
Sorry, but:

farmers-union-feature.jpg

redvscotty

First Grade
So the guys who took over the arm sponsorship from WOW (Broncos) due to it going bust is only going to get one week on the jersey too?

HA!

redvscotty

First Grade
I think the bias even extends to the playing fields.

The teams most benefitted from club bias:

Brisbane

The clubs who get no real benefit:

Melbourne (they used to until the scandal)
Manly (likewise with Gallop/Stewart)
Dragons (Did when Bennett was the coach, haven't seen it yet this year (though not holding my breath))
Warriors (I think are climbing the ranks and could be like the Dragons of the last few years with many favourable decisions just because they are successful and/or have a great coach)
Tigers (see Warriors)
Newcastle (can already see the Bennett aura kicking in, won't take too long to reach the top)

Teams that are poo in the eyes of the NRL:

Souths (All the money, all the promise, and yet they still suck)
Sharks (do i really have to explain this one?)
Cowboys (fluctuate between good years and bad, no point in going with them one way or the other)
Panthers (see Cowboys)
Eels (lost cause)
Titans (coming off a bad year, they aren't getting any favours any time soon)
Raiders (see Cowboys again)
Bulldogs (average few years)
Roosters (see Bulldogs, they did have a good year though during the last half of 2010).

BDH

Juniors
I think the bias even extends to the playing fields.

The teams most benefitted from club bias:

Brisbane

The clubs who get no real benefit:

Melbourne (they used to until the scandal)
Manly (likewise with Gallop/Stewart)
Dragons (Did when Bennett was the coach, haven't seen it yet this year (though not holding my breath))
Warriors (I think are climbing the ranks and could be like the Dragons of the last few years with many favourable decisions just because they are successful and/or have a great coach)
Tigers (see Warriors)
Newcastle (can already see the Bennett aura kicking in, won't take too long to reach the top)

Teams that are poo in the eyes of the NRL:

Souths (All the money, all the promise, and yet they still suck)
Sharks (do i really have to explain this one?)
Cowboys (fluctuate between good years and bad, no point in going with them one way or the other)
Panthers (see Cowboys)
Eels (lost cause)
Titans (coming off a bad year, they aren't getting any favours any time soon)
Raiders (see Cowboys again)
Bulldogs (average few years)
Roosters (see Bulldogs, they did have a good year though during the last half of 2010).

Explain what you mean by, "the bias extends to the playing field"?

Are you actually suggesting that certain clubs get leniency from referees?