What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL.com and marketing out club

Looked at the website today.

first picture I saw shows the players in the all red rag

don’t know whether it is deliberate or not but the Club is synonymous with the big red V.

I understand the NRL wants to portray our club as being new since the time of the JV

If both sides of the JV are to give up their identity, they may as well have insisted we relocate to another city like Perth.

we could then be either :

Perth Saints
Perth Dragons
Perth Steel Dragons

and wear the Red Rag

Dragon David

First Grade

don’t know whether it is deliberate or not but the Club is synonymous with the big red V.

I understand the NRL wants to portray our club as being new since the time of the JV

If both sides of the JV are to give up their identity, they may as well have insisted we relocate to another city like Perth.

Perth Saints
Perth Dragons
Perth Steel Dragons

and wear the Red Rag
No way would I be following the "Dragons" if they are to be known as any of those Saints Forever. To me the Dragons are synonymous with the Red V and having the club I've been following for over 60 years located in Perth will not be my cup of tea or coffee or whatever. Sorry!

Old Timer

Coach
No way would I be following the "Dragons" if they are to be known as any of those Saints Forever. To me the Dragons are synonymous with the Red V and having the club I've been following for over 60 years located in Perth will not be my cup of tea or coffee or whatever. Sorry!
Hard to cop that the "once so called great nursery of St George" is the very albatross hanging around the neck of the Big Red V.

I remember the days when you had to wait up to 6 years to even look like getting a membership of the TAJ and even to do that you had to have continuous "active" membership of a club like Thirroul and St George would actually look to see how many times you visited that club to make sure you weren't just a paid member only.

Many was the time mum & dad would load me and the brothers in the back of the car and make the journey down the coast and we would have a picnic lunch and a swim and then mum & dad would go to the little club for an hour or two and me and the brothers would just hang out at the park kicking a footy around or fly our home made kites at the beach.

I've heard all the rhetoric about what the Illawarra gave St George and never do you hear back what the might St George Club did for them.

For years St George pumped money and influence into their economy and without the might of St George the Illawarra would have remained a backwater so f**k them and their red shorts and shitty jumper.

If they want to play in a strip then make sure its got a big "We Were Liquidated" on the front and a big "We Were Shit Anyway" on the back.

This Year?

Immortal
We should wear the blood and bandages instead of that f**king red rag. The round 1 bye still makes me laugh. At least we can't ruin the opening round, but I'm certain one of the dopes at the club will give it a red hot go.
We are definitely the red headed step child of the NRL who only conveniently remember our history and heritage on Anzac Day. If we ever become good again it will be glorius just to really jam it right up the arse of the likes of news ltd.
/rant.

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
We should only wear the "Red Rag" when we play Canberra, Illawarra and Canberra both joined in 1982 so they can celebrate those 2 games, there is no other reason or jersey clash that would require us to not to wear the Red V

Victoire

Juniors
While I think the crying about the "red rag" is quite silly, I actually agree with the essence of this thread. The administration of this club (but also the NRL) completely ignore, and even deliberately discard the wonderful and important history of not only St George but Illawarra too. You'd think they'd be leaning into it, you know, actually leveraging what is unique and a competitive advantage about the joint. But nope, we're just another cookie cutter franchise - the only real unique aspect is that we don't actually win games or entertain people.

This gripe of mine is touched upon by both Geoff Armstrong (the author of Spirit of The Red V) and Tony Collins in the latest ep of Tony's brilliant podcast Rugby Reloaded. Worth a listen

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Perth Saints
Perth Dragons
Perth Steel Dragons

and wear the Red Rag

nrl.com/clubs/clubs/st-george-illawarra-dragons/

Where’s this “red rag”?

I see players in training attire, and wearing the redV in their profile pics.

Should we be training in our game jerseys or something?

Personally, if there’s anything to be annoyed about it’s them only listing 1 premiership..

Maximus

Coach
nrl.com/clubs/clubs/st-george-illawarra-dragons/

Where’s this “red rag”?

I see players in training attire, and wearing the redV in their profile pics.

Should we be training in our game jerseys or something?

Personally, if there’s anything to be annoyed about it’s them only listing 1 premiership..

Apparently if we don't train in the Red V it means we aren't proud of the clubs history and they should just ship the team off to play in Iraq.

Some people need to get off the internet for their own sanity