What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Conference Idea NE vs SW

MugaB

Coach
I originally wanted to see a 4 way conference system (much like the nines pools this year in perth) with our existing teams plus expansion later on in the future, making it 5 teams per conference, but if NRL are to introduce only 2 teams in 2023, then maybe only 2 conferences of 9 would work better
Here is a map i put together to illustrate the 2 conferences, being NORTH-EASTERN & SOUTH-WESTERNNorthEastern_SouthWestern.png
So any new teams added would join onto either the SW or NE conference.
Teams within their own conference would play home and away.
Teams vs the other conference just play once and reverse H/A the next season
This should make for 22 rounds, then add a heritage round, to play traditional rivals, and Magic round for NRL to match up the best rivals that they want or would not be able to get a 2nd game of that season from the existing schedule, i.e cronulla vs storm, or canberra vs roosters and this will be the showcase round of the season to be played in whatever city will bid for it, i.e Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, etc.

.Expansion to 20 teams eventually in 20+ years
This in example map of future conference, and used the examples of WA, SA, CC & B2NE_SW Expansion.png
This i could see as a National Rugby League, even if we are Sydney-Centric, having a split conference can outline who plays who more often and make for a superbowl type GF plus ease travel costs from repeated far travelling, where a conference could ensure closer matches for clubs and fans alike to attend

Also ill note that if the next two teams for expansion are both within the same conference, Cronulla or St.George could shift into the other conferences

Last edited:

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Love the graphics mate.:clap:

Initially I would go 3 conferences of 6 before expanding to 5 of 4 teams.

The 2x9 seems to have an unbalanced amount of long distance travel for the northern group.

there’s no perfect system but a 3x6 eliminates some of the distance worries I think

MugaB

Coach
Love the graphics mate.:clap:

Initially I would go 3 conferences of 6 before expanding to 5 of 4 teams.

The 2x9 seems to have an unbalanced amount of long distance travel for the northern group.

there’s no perfect system but a 3x6 eliminates some of the distance worries I think
Agreed although if there is WA, SA in the future that should even out travel too, and most of the NE teams would travel more regardless, but atleast they wouldn't have to visit Canberra, Wollongong or Melbourne twice a season and vice versa

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally we’d have a plan to get to 20 clubs with a 19 round regular season. Alternate home and away each season.

MugaB

Coach
Ideally we’d have a plan to get to 20 clubs with a 19 round regular season. Alternate home and away each season.
I'd also like to see an extra heritage round tho, but yeah that's giving again an advantage or disadvantage i suppose, although it can be done thru one of the normal 19 rounds too

Latest posts